Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighters Get Caught in the 1st and Lose Their Legs All the Time...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
    Cotto was in the right place, at the right time, against the right opponent. Cotto looked completely rejuvenated. The question is, will he try his luck and fight another MW? I can't see any other MW being that easy of an out.
    theres a few who are. i personally think cotto would beat quillin handily. and quillin isnt that big either. in all honesty, canelo is probably next.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
      I know he's done, but he was down in the first minute of the fight. If he couldn't recover (he cited dizziness) it seems more like his lack of punch resistance and ability to recover did for him as opposed to his legs. The guy's defence was never great.
      Yea this is what I was saying.

Yea, Martinez hasn't been what he was even before the fight, I get that. I'm just saying in this specific fight, he got hurt before we could really tell how well he was going to move. Once he got hurt his legs were gone and it's hard to tell whether that was the injury or if his legs were gone cause he got caught cold.

He's not prime, no one is going to say that...but the whole "fighting one leg" thing and the level people are taking it to...I don't know if that's warranted.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
        it was clear as day, yet ppl are acting like he was prime. dude was asking for ice for his knees. ive never even heard of that
        you didn't even bother to watch the fight. please go watch the entire fight and come back and comment.

this discussion is for people who witnessed history and enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
          I know he's done, but he was down in the first minute of the fight. If he couldn't recover (he cited dizziness) it seems more like his lack of punch resistance and ability to recover did for him as opposed to his legs. The guy's defence was never great.

his fundamentals weren't great, but he wasn't easy to hit in his prime. his feet and reflexes were terrific. he rarely got hit flush in his prime.

i'll also say this, for a long time champion, his chin was never great. he was on the canvas a lot. he made up for it with nut size.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            his fundamentals weren't great, but he wasn't easy to hit in his prime. his feet and reflexes were terrific. he rarely got hit flush in his prime.

i'll also say this, for a long time champion, his chin was never great. he was on the canvas a lot. he made up for it with nut size.

I agree. Like i've said in other threads full credit to Cotto for a damn impressive performance.. i like both fighters but Sergio was something special in his prime. The way he darted around the ring and landed shots from all angles was spectacular to see. Sadly last night i didn't see one shot hurt Cotto.. in fact Martinez seemed to have no timing and Cotto had him flailing his arms around. I think people are right, he was caught cold and thus struggled to regain his legs.. and like you said Martinez was never the most defensively sound but he had guts man. Those vicious left hooks would have stunned or KO'd anyone. I also like the fact that Cotto was aware of his advantages and used everything in his arsenal to ensure victory. Hopefully Maravilla hangs them up, such a great fighter when he was in his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
              theres a few who are. i personally think cotto would beat quillin handily. and quillin isnt that big either. in all honesty, canelo is probably next.
              As sour as I am on Quillin, I'd pick him against Cotto. I don't want to sound like I'm overestimating his chances, but Martinez provided so little resistance that I can't imagine Quillin doing worse. Quillin would make better use of his height/reach, but he'll have problems on the inside. Cotto could beat Quillin, but it wouldn't be so easy.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post

when was his prime? would you say vs paul williams I&II or before that?

because vs williams and alot of times through-out his career after that(only started watching him since the first williams fight), his defense alot of the time was/is bracing himself and giving his forehead to the punch while awkwardly slipping out

and i dont think his chin is bad, maybe it's a little weaker now as he's all around weaker physically(age/no roid w/e it is) but most of the kd's i saw of him were due to balance, he has always had horrible balance, because although he fancied himself a great mover, his feet have always been too slow to perform alot of the quick pivots he loves to use, he falls, alot

Comment

Look at the 2nd knockdown and see how straight his right leg is. Look at the 3rd knockdown and see how straight it is again, he literally is just falling over.

Have you ever seen somebody get knocked down 3 times and get up so effortlessly?

I rest my case.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtiz View Post
                    Look at the 2nd knockdown and see how straight his right leg is. Look at the 3rd knockdown and see how straight it is again, he literally is just falling over.

Have you ever seen somebody get knocked down 3 times and get up so effortlessly?

I rest my case.
                    He almost fell over throwing a freaking punch. How are people ignoring this? He threw a punch and his knee buckled so bad he almost hit the canvas again. And you're right, every time he went down he got up fine, he wasn't hurt he just couldn't stand.

Comment

The thing was that Sergio was clearly injured. Sure he moved around. Not as nimble as years ago which is to be expected of a guy who's 39. Where the injury was clearly visible to me, was his punching power. Sergio never got any leverage on his punches which I believe is attributed to his bad knees.

Another thing was his lack of variation. Cotto had outstanding variation in his combinations. Sergio did not. It was as if he went all in on his overhand left. Maybe his sparring sucked for this fight.

There is a saying on boxing, the first thing you lose is punch resistance and the last is punching power. Sergio has been down in his last 3(?) fights, but his own power was there. It wasn't last night.

Great performance from Cotto, but Martinez was quite shot and likely injured.

Comment

Working...
                      X