Collapse
No announcement yet.

RJJ vs. Hagler at 160lbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You want to say Hagler just because.............

But damn, Jones was a the greatest talent I've ever seen until that Tarver left hand. As great as Hagler was, jones was that good. I'd say 60/40 Jones.

Comment

everyone knows that i am a huge old timer fan. & most certainly a fan of hagler. but in no way shape or form would hagler be able to beat the jones that dominated hopkins.

the styles are just all wrong. u have to remember this was a jones that didn't have the chin problems as he does now. he was conditioned to go 12 straight rounds without breaking a sweat.

haglers problem were movers. speedy guys that could turn him in a circle all night long. & to add, jones packed a serious wallop of a punch himself which would get more then haglers respect = a clear jones UD.

that roy jones jr was really something else at one point.......

Comment

Jones at 160-168 was unbeatable. And everything Leonard did, Jones could do better. Not to mention Jones could crack a little. And although I thought Hagler got jobbed against Leonard, I have no doubt whatsoever that Jones UDs Hagler...........

Comment

Originally posted by Godsfly View Post
          everyone knows that i am a huge old timer fan. & most certainly a fan of hagler. but in no way shape or form would hagler be able to beat the jones that dominated hopkins.

the styles are just all wrong. u have to remember this was a jones that didn't have the chin problems as he does now. he was conditioned to go 12 straight rounds without breaking a sweat.

haglers problem were movers. speedy guys that could turn him in a circle all night long. & to add, jones packed a serious wallop of a punch himself which would get more then haglers respect = a clear jones UD.

that roy jones jr was really something else at one point.......
          While I agree that Roy likely wins a UD, I really don't see Hagler caring about Roy's power. Hearns did'nt slow Hagler down and even at 160, Tommy was a bigger puncher than Roy.

Comment

Roy was a baby at 160. He still doesn't lose to anyone ever. The man I a once in a lifetime level fighter. I would be surprised to ever see anyone as good as he was in his prime.

Comment

Roy had a good chin.

He got knocked by tarver after gaining muscle for heavyweight and dropping it right away (25 pounds of muscle) that messes you up scientifically.

He was never hurt at 154 160 or 168.

He is bigger than leonard who outboxed hagler off a long layoff. Good fight , but roys reach and height and speed and power present problems for hagler. Roy had tremendous boxing iq and reflexes in his prime.

Roy ud or late stoppage
              Last edited by Jc8804; 08-19-2016, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                He was green, but he was also very big for a middleweight, hence the reason he moved up so quickly. He just couldn't make the weight. So it would be a green, but bigger and still very fast Jones vs a much more experienced, very skilled but much smaller Hagler.

Tricky one. It's hard to tell quite how Jones would have handled someone like Hagler at that stage, though I do think Jones would have given anyone in history trouble. 15 rounds?

Jones was also roided and Hagler was not. It makes a difference.
                Believe me, I see why people will pick Roy. I want to, as well. I'm pretty much dueling between two of the fighters I'm the biggest fanboy of. I just lean more to Hagler at his best beating Roy at middleweight, where he hadn't quite been his best. Obviously Roy might just outbox him.
                Last edited by bojangles1987; 08-19-2016, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoxingXpert View Post
                  Hopkins. Toney. Castro. Griffin. Tarver. Yeah, RJJ got plenty of significant wins.
                  Middleweight he said, not career.

Comment

Roy Jones Jr. UD.

Comment

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
                      Roy Jones Jr. UD.
                      I agree. But damn, what an epic fight it would have been.

Comment

Working...
                      X