Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are the Americans Women's football (soccer) team so much better than the men's.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -The Glove- View Post
    If you think rugby players can touch the top (let alone the fringe) NFL players, you're ****ing mistaken. I can appreciate both sports but for the most part, any particular sport is downgraded because of the lack of understanding of said sport. (I used to **** on futbol until I watched Ronaldinho and have been watching sporadically since).

soccer (football) has great athletes. some of the world's best.

they're just not american.

rugby on the other hand cannot hold a candle to either sport in terms of the levels of athleticism of it's competitors.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      there is no comparing the collisions in a football game to that of a rugby game. the padding allows you to hit much harder. it prevents damage to the degree that it allows for harder contact.

if you had an equal understanding of both games you'd find football to be far more violent in it's collisions by virtue of the equipment, and not the other way around.

and while there may be some world class talent playing rugby, lets be real. there's more talent one one american football team than there is in an entire rugby league. if you know what a great athlete looks like, you cant disparage that.
      True and helmets are a big part of it too.

I hate 'sports bashing' sports. I'm a huge sports fan and although i grew up in football I follow a lot of them. I just feel sad for the people who waste their time hating something they claim to not watch.

Comment

rugby on the other hand cannot hold a candle to either sport in terms of the levels of athleticism of it's competitors.
        Can't argue with either points...like I said, I used to hate soccer (futbol) but after watching Ronaldinho and paying attention to it here and there over the years, I've come to appreciate and greatly respect it. Rugby, on the other hand, anyone that hates on those guys are just flat out ******ed.

Comment

What defines athleticism though? Each sport has evolved to a certain state where a level of physical skill is required that covers all different categories from strength to speed to agility etc. If you throw a Am Football WR into rugby he will get pummelled but some LBs and linemen may flourish and vice versa.

Comment

do all roads still lead to sunny bill williams?

yes

Comment

Originally posted by Repeddled View Post
              What defines athleticism though? Each sport has evolved to a certain state where a level of physical skill is required that covers all different categories from strength to speed to agility etc. If you throw a Am Football WR into rugby he will get pummelled but some LBs and linemen may flourish and vice versa.

megatron (calvin johnson) is 6'5" and 235 lb with an 82 inch reach. he's bigger than kenny norton.. he's a big WR, but he's only 20 lbs or so larger and a couple of inches taller than the average guy who catches the ball as a receiver. guys in the nfl average 270 lbs.

Comment

megatron (calvin johnson) is 6'5" and 235 lb with an 82 inch reach. he's bigger than kenny norton.. he's a big WR, but he's only 20 lbs or so larger and a couple of inches taller than the average guy who catches the ball as a receiver. guys in the nfl average 270 lbs.
                Yes i'm aware of him and he's a freak amongst freaks. He'd be a perfect lock basically the tallest guy on the team with some catching ability
                But you get the gist of what i'm saying rugby generally prefers the not too tall no neck type of build.

Comment

Originally posted by Repeddled View Post
                  Yes i'm aware of him and he's a freak amongst freaks. He'd be a perfect lock basically the tallest guy on the team with some catching ability
                  But you get the gist of what i'm saying rugby generally prefers the not too tall no neck type of build.
                  Megatron wouldn't need a couple guys to boost him up there. Athleticism to me is physical ability beyond the norm compared to the regular athlete. There's a lot of people in athletics that are really non-athletic...Megatron on the other hand is a freak among freaks.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                    Our women are more athletic compared to their peers than our men. Same reason our women's basketball team doesn't ever lose still while the men's team has.

I don't buy the "athletes in America play different sports" argument when it comes to football.
                    Well its true. Soccer is not by any means popular here. Much more popular among women for whatever reason. A lot of Universities here have womens soccer but not mens.

Comment

Originally posted by -The Glove- View Post
                      Megatron wouldn't need a couple guys to boost him up there. Athleticism to me is physical ability beyond the norm compared to the regular athlete. There's a lot of people in athletics that are really non-athletic...Megatron on the other hand is a freak among freaks.
                      That's still a vague definition if you cross sports. In the same sport you could say one guy was more athletic than the other with some certainty but it would be difficult to translate that into other sports. For pure measurable like height, weight, speed, agility etc yes i would say NFL players are superior in comparison to rugby.

Comment

Working...
                      X