Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I wasting my money at current gym??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I wasting my money at current gym??

Hello first sorry for the long post. I just joined a boxing/mma gym about 2 months ago in the metro Detroit area. There are a total of three of these gyms. The one I am at currently has no heavy bags or equipment to train and practice on. Basically the instructor has us shadow box they will show us combos and have us perform them on the air, sometimes we do mitt training but its rare so its basically combos and technique on the air with no heavy bags there to work on and some stretching and body weight exercises after like pushups. I bought my own heavy bag and stand for my apt to practice on since they don't have it. They claim if you don't show you are taking it seriously by practicing the combos the heavy bag wont help. They judge you every time you come on the meeting days which is Thursdays and sundays and will decide if you've been practicing and are ready to spar at the other gyms. Did do the sparring but did it with the trainers because it was our first time and they were trying to help us out. These guys have fought all over the world are good guys but still it feels like I need more individualized training I don't even have foot work down or proper punch technique I am learning punch technique from a book I bought 6 months ago because I am not getting the guidance there. I was shown first day stance and then right on to combos and was never shown stance again. I feel kronk is proper boxing but it closed. Am I wasting my money?? Is this typical training? Should I just train at home and save my money?? I have no confidence I would be embarrassed to wear their fight club shirt in public since I am not taught anything. I am very into boxing I feel I need that challenge of sparring and technique everyday with boxers.
    Last edited by Passion4boxing; 09-22-2014, 02:28 PM.

That is not typical training........move gym

Comment

seems you have your answer

Comment

lmfao..what??? they charge you to do that ****??? what are they doing with the money?

Comment

Yes $80.00 a month

Comment

Don't pay them and move on

Comment

That's not worth the money, you can find boxing gyms in your area with legitimate trainers on google. Search with that or isport.

Comment

Its definitely a let down but glad to know my intuition was correct. Thanks to all who answered.

Comment

Surely you can find a quality gym in Detroit I would assume. Do a bit of research and check out some other gyms/clubs.

Comment

There is defiantly a decent amount of boxing gyms in that area and a lot of them $80 will cover the year. I've been to a lot of gyms and never heard some sh it like that. Until you find a gym just watch boxing YouTube technique videos and read post on this forum, save you're money.

Comment

Working...
                    X