Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Theory on how to beat a Cus D'Amato style fighter...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
    I saw round 9. So you are of the opinion that seconds of a single round account for the pace of the entire fight? You would have to be stupid to think that Tyson was not the aggressor for the entire fight. He never stopped moving forward. Buster himself said that he was impressed with how Mike never stopped coming forward. Despite the punishment, Buster commented that "He never stopped moving in."

I mentioned McNeely because he is a classic example of a guy who tried to bring the pressure, and others had already been listed so why would I list them again? And so you are of the opinion that in order to determine how a fighter deals with pressure is to fight Smoking Joe? Nobody else can apply pressure? You're too dense when it comes to Tyson. Your hatred toward the fact that he is beloved and seen as great by many has blinded you.

And he wasn't moving his head because at this point in his career he hadn't done so in years.

It is a fact that his head movement was null post Kevin Rooney. You want to debate that? I don't have the time. Watch the film with your eyes open and you will see what everybody else in this section sees. You think you are special by going against the grain of what everybody thinks. As if you have a keen eye for the sport that others lack and that you see things that we miss. You don't - you're not special, as a matter of fact you are quite ignorant when it comes to the history of this sport and great fighters such as Mike Tyson.

Tillis should have gotten a draw? Find another hobby. Boxing history is not for you.
    Honestly, I'm not going to waste time responding to the likes of you. I'll simply state three things:

1. Tillis won four rounds on two of the judge's scorecards, one of them being a round he was knocked down in; he otherwise controlled that round. Very close fight if you watch it objectively, which I doubt you're able to do.

2. Tyson fought a grand total of six rounds between his fight with Spinks, which is supposed to be his peak, and his fight with Douglas. To say that "he had stopped moving his head" based off what amounts to half a boxing match is as ridiculous as saying that Ray Leonard "stopped sticking and moving" based on the first Duran fight.

3. As for ignorance of boxing history and Mike Tyson, I'll simply say that you probably know enough about Tyson for both of us. Too bad none of your posts in this section suggest that you know much about anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
      If someone is going to beat another quality fighter because of a stylistic problem it is naturally understood that they must have other attributes such as toughness, speed cleverness etc. in order to prevail . The point is that if a third rate fighter like Tillis can cause Tyson a few problems with this style, it gives us some insight into an Al/ Tyson match.

We would take the best example out of those 80's fighters because none of these guys are anywhere near Ali's level anyway.
      I don't think it gives much insight at all. It was early in Tyson's career and he went on to demolish Biggs, who was a better Ali impersonator and better fighter overall than Tillis.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post

2. Tyson fought a grand total of six rounds between his fight with Spinks, which is supposed to be his peak, and his fight with Douglas. To say that "he had stopped moving his head" based off what amounts to half a boxing match is as ridiculous as saying that Ray Leonard "stopped sticking and moving" based on the first Duran fight.
        I never knew fighters lost head movement on a round by round basis. You learn something new everyday!

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
          Honestly, I'm not going to waste time responding to the likes of you. I'll simply state three things:

1. Tillis won four rounds on two of the judge's scorecards, one of them being a round he was knocked down in; he otherwise controlled that round. Very close fight if you watch it objectively, which I doubt you're able to do.

3. As for ignorance of boxing history and Mike Tyson, I'll simply say that you probably know enough about Tyson for both of us. Too bad none of your posts in this section suggest that you know much about anyone else.

I can see easily when one of my favorite fighters loses or gets outboxed - I could care less. But you are wrong, See unlike you, I can look at things as they are despite how I feel about a fighter because I am a reasonable person - you on the other hand are not and that is shown in ever post pertaining to Mike Tyson. You have said some of the most off the wall idiotic things that nobody else would agree with, and you believe that it is me who can't see a fight for what it is?

In his fight with Frank Bruno Tyson did not move his head at all. He also did not move his head at all in his fight with Douglas which is why he was pasted the entire night. For boxing fans it is not uncommon to watch sparring video's and see that a fighter has changed. He looked like a head hunter to me looking for a one punch knockout. If you are of the opinion that he was still training the same and using the techniques that made him successful then I do not know what to say to you. If that is your opinion, I would just ask that you back it up with some kind of ringside observation from a reputable source or show some film. But you won't, because that doesn't exist because everybody around boxing at the time and what we can see on film today says the contrary to your meaningless claim from your bias standpoint.

And to your third point I will agree that I do know enough about Tyson for the both of us. As for the latter part, it doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
            I don't think it gives much insight at all. It was early in Tyson's career and he went on to demolish Biggs, who was a better Ali impersonator and better fighter overall than Tillis.

It doesn't matter whether Biggs had a better career than Tillis, what matters is whether we believe that the ability to measure and time Tyson, to take shots, and all of the other attributes he used in that match are eclipsed by Ali's ability in all those areas.
            Last edited by res; 09-15-2012, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Tillis didn't do ***** against Tyson except last the full 10 rounds

Mike put on a defensive exhibition that fight.

Backing up a peak a boo style fighter can be effective but just ask Trevor Berbick how effective he was trying to push Tyson around the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by TysonBomb View Post
                Tillis didn't do ***** against Tyson except last the full 10 rounds
                If you had the ability to watch a tyson fight objectively, you'd know that isn't true. Tillis won several rounds.

Comment

Guys like Liston and Foreman had the style (practically and theoratically ) to stop fighters of Cus. They were pretty hard to beat for fighters like Tyson and Patterson.

Comment

Working...
                  X