Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has there ever been more of a 50/50 fight than Chavez Jr/Martinez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing close about this fight at all IMO. Zbik beat on Jr and he hasn't lookd any better since then. Fighting on the outside against Manfredo proved what? Now people think the guy can box at sergios level, lmao.

The UD against Rubio? The KO of Lee who was beaten by Vera and was beaten pillar to post by McEwan before pulling out the big punch?

Chavez hasn't done anything at all to make me think he can compete with Martinez. If you are saying it's 50/50, it's personal opinion, cool. Beceause there is nothing in his recent fights, against who he has fought that should make anyone believe this is even.

Comment

Originally posted by crillz View Post
      It took a lot of time for me to come to this conclusion, like seriously I went back and fourth with myself for a while now but in the end I see Chavez Jr edging it out. It's so real I may have caught myself on here in past times backing Sergio confidently just because that's who I had for a long long while, until, Chavez beat Lee the way he did. I knew he would win it but that was something beautifully brutal, he decimated Andy Lee whom is a strong young fighter with a lot of power in his gloves, it wasn't a questionable Molina type of thing he really laid some hands on Lee

Chavez in that fight showed to me he is levels ahead of where he was since last time I really took a look into this fight, add to that the fact that he rejoined Alex Ariza for this fight and it makes it all the more worst for Sergio. I had a bad taste in my mouth when Chavez beat Rubio because I like Rubio and I felt like Rubio didn't do enough or at least as much as he said he would, I remember even arguing with a few on here about this, however as time passed by and I watched that fight again I realized Rubio did what he could, he tried it's just Chavez was a force he couldn't tame like he did Lemieux

it really didn't become rock solid to me until he did that to Lee, since the Lee fight I been quiet about this fight because I knew that I was no longer sure Martinez would win, in fact I started rapidly feeling confident in Chavez winning it. If you factor all the intangibles you'll see who really has the edge here, Chavez can win this fight even if he doesn't if you get what I'm saying because all he has to do is finish standing and it's his, but the Lee fight showed me that is NOT the only way he can win he can also very much legitimately win it and knock Sergio on his ass if Maravilla is not careful.

I'm going to bet on this fight, they have Chavez Jr as a +150 underdog. I have 371$ altogether so I will drop 308$ on Chavez Jr straight up and back myself up with 21$ on Draw, 21$ on No Decision and in another fight taking place that night I'm going to place 21$ on Josesito Lopez to Upset Canelo Alvarez at +800. after the money he made me for the Ortiz win I'm always going to bet on him I don't give a **** who it is
      Why would the Lee fight be a deciding factor for you? Lee was beaten worse by Vera and McEwan.

Comment

Originally posted by Imatroll View Post
        Every time I think about this fight, I never come to a conclusive decision for the winner. This is definitely a toss up fight that can go either way. If you're favoring one of the fighters, whats your key reasoning behind it? On top of that I like both fighters and can't really pick one to root for.
        Yeah.....like 80 % of them. This fight is 80-20% in favor of Martinez

Comment

Really this fight is only seen as close to 50/50 because of the size diff. When's the last time you've seen such a size diff in the middle classes? Its crazy rare, especially considering the bigger guy is the younger one. The size difference is such that you could even argue about it being sanctioned lol. If JCC jr hydrated to "normal" levels..high 160s..this would be a mismatch.

Comment

Originally posted by intoccabile View Post
            Why would the Lee fight be a deciding factor for you? Lee was beaten worse by Vera and McEwan.
            because Lee had avenged the Vera loss and he defeated Craig in that fight, he had his confidence back and was really ready for that fight, Steward knew what he was doing he just didn't expect that out of Chavez, I don't think anyone did. There were people who picked Lee to win going into that fight, there were a good amount too and I ain't just going to sit here and pretend like it wasn't that way.

My thing was that Chavez destroyed him, worse and quicker than Vera did, he made Lee look like what he is not, an amateur. it was a sign to me that Chavez has developed in the necessary places to be the reigning champion. you got some great fights out there and there is still very quality opposition but Jr showed me with Lee he's ready to put his power out there and bang with power punching strong contenders, hes ready to give and to take with whoever.

I was expecting Lee to do fairly well, at least to make it to the distance and he was destroyed. I guess what did it for me is that Chavez showed me a dominant stoppage over a fighter I respect, and in doing so he showed me certain improvements that make me feel like he's ready for Martinez, the way he was able to beat Rubio along with the Lee win gives me the feeling he's ready for this fight, he's built the experience necessary to get him past Sergio

Comment

I think Sergio is the best in the world at the moment but I can see the judges giving it to Jr. because we all know how corrupt fights on HBO are for the young up and coming house fighters. I think Martinez needs a KO or he has no chance tbh.
              Last edited by Pad83; 07-26-2012, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cazadores View Post
                Its a 50/50 foght/ Don't let either side of haters fool you. JR is far better then we all thought 2 years ago. He has a huge size advantage. We never know if Martinez will show up old.

Can Jr take Matinez power, speed, awkwardness?

So many questions to ask. That's why it's 50/50.
                ^^^^ That about sums it up for me.

I'm rooting for Jr, but would be ok by me if Martinez gets the win. Like Martinez too.

Whoever wins, I wonder if they'll move up to 168.

Comment

because Lee had avenged the Vera loss and he defeated Craig in that fight, he had his confidence back and was really ready for that fight, Steward knew what he was doing he just didn't expect that out of Chavez, I don't think anyone did. There were people who picked Lee to win going into that fight, there were a good amount too and I ain't just going to sit here and pretend like it wasn't that way.

My thing was that Chavez destroyed him, worse and quicker than Vera did, he made Lee look like what he is not, an amateur. it was a sign to me that Chavez has developed in the necessary places to be the reigning champion. you got some great fights out there and there is still very quality opposition but Jr showed me with Lee he's ready to put his power out there and bang with power punching strong contenders, hes ready to give and to take with whoever.

I was expecting Lee to do fairly well, at least to make it to the distance and he was destroyed. I guess what did it for me is that Chavez showed me a dominant stoppage over a fighter I respect, and in doing so he showed me certain improvements that make me feel like he's ready for Martinez, the way he was able to beat Rubio along with the Lee win gives me the feeling he's ready for this fight, he's built the experience necessary to get him past Sergio
                  Lee looked like an amateur? He was ahead on the scorecards until he decided to trade with Chavez. I don't recall but did he ever actually go down?

Comment

I think it's a very close fight but I favor Chavez because he is a big strong young middleweight who gets better every fight. I think Martinez is very good but not a full sized middleweight and he is old and past prime. I am rooting for Chavez to score the KO because I am tired of Martinez insulting three of my favorite fighters, Chavez, Canelo,and Pacquiao. Every time I read Boxing Scene top headlines here is Martinez talking about what cowards other fighters are and how superior he is. Don't get me wrong, I think Martinez is a great fighter, but I think 154 is his best weight.

Comment

Lee was boxing Chavez' ears off in rounds 1-4. Even at the time of the stoppage, Lee was up on the cards. Hd Lee just boxed instead of trying to trade with Chavez, he would have won a UD.

Comment

Working...
                      X