Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At Their Peak, Who is the most Dominant Fighter Of All Time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SRR
    Henry Armstrong
    Muhammed Ali

That's your top three and nobody is even coming close to the level of dominance over TRUE greats that they were able to demonstrate.

Looking unbeatable against road sweepers and firemen means **** all to me, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
      Fighters that I've seen all/most fights at their peak - Roy Jones and Pernell Whitaker....They rarely lost rounds in their prime.
      Whitaker lost plenty of rounds in his prime

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
        SRR
        Henry Armstrong
        Muhammed Ali

That's your top three and nobody is even coming close to the level of dominance over TRUE greats that they were able to demonstrate.

Looking unbeatable against road sweepers and firemen means **** all to me, sorry.
        So would James Toney fall under the category of a road sweeper or a fireman?

Comment

So would James Toney fall under the category of a road sweeper or a fireman?
          Does beating 1 top fighter mean dominance of a division? I think not.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
            Does beating 1 top fighter mean dominance of a division? I think not.
            Does dominating numerous top 10 contenders in your division with 2 dominating wins over future hall of famers mean that you are on of the most dominant fighters in your era?

Does being the undisputed champion at light heavyweight mean that you were dominant?

Does winning world titles at Middleweight, Super Middleweight, Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight a sign of dominance?

Or how about being the first middleweight champion to win a heavyweight title in over 106 years?

I think so.

I'm not going to defend his resume because it lags against other all time greats. But to deny this man's dominance in his prime is just hating.
            Last edited by -PBP-; 07-29-2012, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Does dominating numerous top 10 contenders in your division with 2 dominating wins over future hall of famers mean that you are on of the most dominant fighters in your era? I think so.

I'm not going to defend his resume because it lags against other all time greats. But to deny this man's dominance in his prime is just hating.
              Dominance is achieved by beating everyone at the top of a division something Roy Jones never did.

Comment

Roy Jones is actually a close to the exact model for a perfect boxer in his prime. THE CLOSEST. Most unbeatable gifted fighter I have ever or probably ever will see.
                Last edited by SkillspayBills; 07-29-2012, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
                  Dominance is achieved by beating everyone at the top of a division something Roy Jones never did.
                  Well if that's the one and only factor you look at in evaluating dominance more power to you.

Comment

Well if that's the one and only factor you look at in evaluating dominance more power to you.
                    It is though.

Boxing is a proving ground, you didn't fight a guy, you didn't prove anything.

Theres no way Buster Douglas can beat Tyson, he's a bum, Tyson could beat him 1 handed, who did Douglas ever beat, Tyson has every advantage.

I could go on and on.

At the end of the day, guys like Ali and Robinson took EVERY challenge, and 9 times out of 10 came up trumps

Roy Jones didnt take every challenge, he took a few challenges mixed in with a ridiculous amount of utter no marks for supposedly the most dominant fighter of all time.

wake up people

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
                      It is though.

Theres no way Buster Douglas can beat Tyson, he's a bum, Tyson could beat him 1 handed, who did Douglas ever beat, Tyson has every advantage.

I could go on and on.
                      It's one of many factors.

It's a flawed theory because there are numerous fights throughout history that were not made:

You say:

Kosta Tszyu never fought Oscar De la Hoya or Floyd Mayweather

Mosley and Mayweather never fought

Alexis Arguello never fought Roberto Duran

Felix Trinidad never fought Terry Norris or Ike Quartery

Lennox Lewis never fought Bowe.

Did all of those guys "not prove anything?" because of who they didn't fight? And I don't care about why the fights didn't happen. All that matters in the grand scheme of things is that fact that they didn't.

Again, Roy Jones resume is mediocre. B-/C+ at best. But as I've stated in my other post, his level of dominance during his era cannot be questioned. Especially when seeing how he toyed with the #3 pound for pound fighter in the world at the time.
                      Last edited by -PBP-; 07-29-2012, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X