No announcement yet.

Another George Foreman Thread.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another George Foreman Thread.....

From reading these message boards George Foreman is more popular now than ever, and for good reasons. As a kid growing up, my friends and I followed Foreman's second career in the ring and was very impressed by his dominance, ring generalship, and punching power against oppenents much younger than him. I am convinced that in his comeback (31-3,26 KOs)he was invincible in the sense that no boxer in that era(87-98) could have knocked him out.He took some of Prime Holyfield's best shots and didn't fall and look at all the punishment he took from Alex Stewart! The man just could not be taken down!

My question to you guys is, could any of the heavyweights in that decade beaten George Foreman by KO? Lennox Lewis? Mike Tyson? Larry Holmes? IMO he could've fought Lennox and Tyson at the same time and still have not got knocked down!

I also have a hard time picturing Big George getting knocked out. How ever, it is not impossible. Look at how he was hurt against Lyle in the 70s. Both Tyson and Lewis had the tools to take him out. I am not saying that they actually WOULD knock him out, but they sure as hell COULD.

Comment

Originally posted by M26
      I also have a hard time picturing Big George getting knocked out. How ever, it is not impossible. Look at how he was hurt against Lyle in the 70s. Both Tyson and Lewis had the tools to take him out. I am not saying that they actually WOULD knock him out, but they sure as hell COULD.
      agree, holyfield usually take you out round by round he didnt had the ko punch. but tyson if he can hit you he will landed 3-4 combination of power punches and finally drop george like holmes so yes i think both lewis and tyson could probably ko george.

Comment

Originally posted by M26
        M26, we're not taking about the first George Foreman. The first George Foreman was knocked out by Ali, and knocked down by Jimmy Young and Ron Lyle. What my point is; in his comeback he wasn't even knocked down let alone being knocked out. He was a different fighter the second time around and IMO much tougher!

Comment

Either Tyson or lewis WOULD Ko big George IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy
            M26, we're not taking about the first George Foreman. The first George Foreman was knocked out by Ali, and knocked down by Jimmy Young and Ron Lyle. What my point is; in his comeback he wasn't even knocked down let alone being knocked out. He was a different fighter the second time around and IMO much tougher!
            I beg to differ. He was more careful after his comeback, and also fought lesser foes, who more often than not, either couldnīt fight or had no punch. 80% of the time, he fought bums. This is why he was never knocked out. Granted, his chin was solid, but no more solid than it was in the 70s! Like I stated before, Iīm not saying that he positively would get knocked out, but to answer your question, yes I think he could. Both Tyson and Lewis had the tools to catch him and power to knock him out.

Comment

I don't think he would get KO'd but he the fight would definitely get stopped if he fought Lewis or Tyson. Just look at how he was pounded in the title fight before scoring that "lucky" punch.

Comment

Originally posted by M26
                I beg to differ. He was more careful after his comeback, and also fought lesser foes, who more often than not, either couldnīt fight or had no punch. 80% of the time, he fought bums. This is why he was never knocked out. Granted, his chin was solid, but no more solid than it was in the 70s! Like I stated before, Iīm not saying that he positively would get knocked out, but to answer your question, yes I think he could. Both Tyson and Lewis had the tools to catch him and power to knock him out.
                Ok,M26 you make a good argument that he did fight alot of bums which had no chance whatsoever to knock him out. However, the majority of boxing fans on this website believe that Foreman had the power,defensive skills, and mental toughness to beat Tyson.(check the Fantasy fight thread:Tyson vs Foreman) As for Lennox Lewis, I think he might have been able to rock Foreman but not knock him out.

Comment

if you are going to say formean fought bums in the second part of his career then so did tyson and lewis.foreman took 25 straight punches from a prime holyfield and didnt get knocked own and as we know tyson could not do the same.foreman was hit by briggs with huge punches and walk right through them and lewis was hurt by briggs on several occassions.point being he had a hell of a chin.and if you are going to say well ron lyle knocked him down.based on logic and what i read .when you get older you lose fluid around your brain so it is more likely that you will get knocked down if you box and you easier to concuss.so based on that lyle had to punch harder than holyfield and briggs or douglas.so lyle would of knocked tyson out and lewis out if he hit them.
                  lewis or holyfield couldnt even knock out a old washed up holyfiled so why would they be able to knock out foreman?they wouldnt that is why and their is no way in hell they could knock out a young foreman

Comment

foreman's chin wasn't that strong. he just weighed like 600lbs. and it was hard for people to knock him down. but in 1974, da butterfly dropped foreman when he weighed 225, so that proves his chin wasn't all that strong.

Comment

Working...
                    X