No announcement yet.

Fitting boxing around work

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting boxing around work

Alright. I've not posted in a while but I've been working 2 jobs and studying carpentry and joinery at collage so I've been busy. I quit boxing a few months ago because of my workload and I started to loose faith in my coaches matching me against better opponents (my last fight I lost on points to a 23 year old Latvian international, he was 5 years older than me and had mor fights and more wins). Anyway, I intend to sort out a job in the uk for a bit and then move abroad to work and I was wondering if its possible or realistic to have success as an amateur boxer (fitting training around work and such and also being able to show up to a fight without being drained from work, cutting weight and training) and to still be able to earn enough money to survive.

Anyway. Was wondering if anyone who has been in a similar situation has any advice. I.e. worked in construction or a similar manual labour job and boxed at the same time, also has immigrated to another country and been able to set up a new life. I already know immigrants have it hard.

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Do you have aspirations beyond the amateurs?
    Do you plan to go pro and make a living out of boxing?
    How old are you?
    Height/Weight?
    What weight class you want to fight in?

The answer to your questions depend on many variables.

Comment

Originally posted by rockymarciano1 View Post
      Alright. I've not posted in a while but I've been working 2 jobs and studying carpentry and joinery at collage so I've been busy. I quit boxing a few months ago because of my workload and I started to loose faith in my coaches matching me against better opponents (my last fight I lost on points to a 23 year old Latvian international, he was 5 years older than me and had mor fights and more wins). Anyway, I intend to sort out a job in the uk for a bit and then move abroad to work and I was wondering if its possible or realistic to have success as an amateur boxer (fitting training around work and such and also being able to show up to a fight without being drained from work, cutting weight and training) and to still be able to earn enough money to survive.

Anyway. Was wondering if anyone who has been in a similar situation has any advice. I.e. worked in construction or a similar manual labour job and boxed at the same time, also has immigrated to another country and been able to set up a new life. I already know immigrants have it hard.

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks.
      It's certainly possible to have success as an amateur whilst working full time - that's how it is for most amateurs and most pro's.

What club were you at? You have Birtley ABC not too far away - one of the best clubs in the country.

Comment

I've always subscribed to the theory that it's not the number of hours you put in that matters- it's the amount of work you can squeeze into those hours.

That's not to say that you can get by with three half-hour sessions a week, but don't fall into the trap set by a lot of people (some who post here) that if you're not training 2.5 hours a day, you're not "dedicated" enough.

God, family, and work have to come first. Devote the remaining time to boxing and work your balls off during that time.

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
          Do you have aspirations beyond the amateurs?
          Do you plan to go pro and make a living out of boxing?
          How old are you?
          Height/Weight?
          What weight class you want to fight in?

The answer to your questions depend on many variables.
          Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions.
          Ultimately, my intention is to go as far as I can in boxing (build up a good amateur pedigree and then go as far as I can as a professional) so yes, I plan to turn professional before about 23-24 years old.

I'm 18 at the moment.

I'm about 183cm or 6ft and between 70-73kg or 154-160lbs. I had fights (16 won 8 lost 8 all on points) from about 64kg to about 70kg and could probably still make the light middle weight.

Also I don't intend to remain in the uk much longer than a year or two. I was planning to move to possibly America, Canada or austrailia as there is more work there than here. I would move back to Poland/Belarus to see any family we still have there but inflation is ridiculous over there so its out of the question.

Thanks again for the replies.

Comment

No way, i go to college and work an 8 hour job but i still manage to squeeze in training 3-4 times per week at the gym. But working 2 jobs and studying i really doubt it

Comment

Going to be too difficult to be serious about boxing with so much else taking so much of your time. Something will have to give. If you want to get better to be competitive, you will have to commit to it. And likely end up getting better training and sparring if you're plateauing where you are now.

Comment

I know I can't box at the moment with my commitments. I just wanted to know if it would be possible to box competitively and do enough training while working 40-50 hours a week at a physically strenuous job. Sorry if I was being vague but I just wanted to know if anyone had experince of being in a similar situation.
                Thanks for the help.

Comment

I had a part time job, went to school and fought from age 14-18.

Turned pro working as a bartender at night and trained durng the day.

I quit fighting for a bit and when I returned fighng I was working as a carpenter for the Union full time, worked in restaurants part time on the weekends and training/fighting. It was a *****, I was tired all week and then started up the next week still tired. One job was enough, two jobs and fighting pro just didn't work, it was just too much looking back.

If you want to fight you will find a way......... Rockin'

Comment

My uncle used to work M-F 8-5 at a labor job for a company that built mobile homes back in the day. He then would go home and shower/eat, then hit the gym for the evening and he was an active amateur boxer. Some things in life are challenging. Find the will to pull through and keep going forward. I have not worked a labor job while training but days have gotten busy with school, work, and training. There have been days where I feel completely drained, but I still got myself to the gym in the evening. Once I start stretching out/warming up, I wake up a little. My college will be starting up again tomorrow and again things will be getting busy for me.

For help with stamina, you can try various breathing exercises that you can do on your way to work or any minutes you have of downtime, standing up or sitting down. Whenever you have downtime, just get down and do your situps/pushups. Yesterday was a busy day for me and I didnt have time to do my pushups/reps until 1:30am. I was super tired but I wasnt going to sleep until I finished by workout. Sometimes we just have to dig deep and push no matter what. Good luck on everything.

Comment

Working...
                    X