Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would win between Julio Cesar Chavez vs Roberto Duran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to be fair, Taylor is looked at as one of the best 140lb fighters ever, at least in ability.

Ramirez wasnt a bad fighter either by any means. He should have beaten Arguello, so thats two HOF fighters he has wins over, but the Whitaker one doesnt count. not bad at all.

although of course these dont match up with the likes of Benitez, Duran, and Hearns.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      Probably not.
      Geez mate, I thought you knew me better than that.

Was it not very obvious?

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
        Geez mate, I thought you knew me better than that.

Was it not very obvious?
        Not your fault. I think my satire detector is busted today

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
          no possible way does Duran take out Chavez at 135lbs. Duran wasnt a destroyer at that weight...almost all his best KO wins were due to attrition. Chavez was not only one of the most durable fighters ever, but also had very good defense.

that being said, Duran would win on points that would be wide on the scorecards, but each round would be hard fought. Think Duran-Palomino, except more competitive. The infighting level would be about equal, but Duran would take the upper hand seeing as he could tag Chavez coming in and also counter a bit on the inside as well. Duran was a mauler on the inside, he didnt constantly attack you but would grab a little and simply wear you down.

It would be the best display of skilled infighting in the history of boxing.
          Chavez wasn't as good as Duran on the inside, Mayweather(a guy not on Durans infighting level) was fighting on even terms with Chavez at that distance, Chavez was could only fight in the trenches and it took him a long time to get started on the inside, not only would Duran get the better if he committed there but he could also move away before Chavez could even start getting off similarly to what Whitaker was doing.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
            Chavez wasn't as good as Duran on the inside, Mayweather(a guy not on Durans infighting level) was fighting on even terms with Chavez at that distance, Chavez was could only fight in the trenches and it took him a long time to get started on the inside, not only would Duran get the better if he committed there but he could also move away before Chavez could even start getting off similarly to what Whitaker was doing.
            Duran's infighting style was much different than Chavez's. he would grab and maul a lot, wasnt super active. Chavez was one of the best at being able to create distance and go to work with short punches that were difficult to counter. The reason Whitaker was able to nullify a lot of Chavez's infighting is because he would attack a lot and put Chavez on the defensive...same with Meldrick Taylor. Duran didnt attack that often on the inside, especially at lightweight, and Chavez would have been able to go to work more.

so I maintain it would be about equal on the inside.

Comment

I don't know about that, Irish. I do agree with you that Duran's offense inside was of a different variety, but his punching power was also of a different variety to Taylro & Whitaker --- very different, as in a hell of a lot more punishing. Chavez is also at a very sizeable speed disadvantage with his hands at 135lbs, which is significant.

Comment

Seriously this forum goes soooooooooooo far out their way to impose this dumb older ALWAYS=better crap

In what universe is Jose Luis Ramirez not an all time great? You guys stay overrating Hearns when in reality until he beat Virgil Hill he was a bridesmaid he was always close but could never get the big win.
                Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 03-22-2011, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                  Seriously this forum goes soooooooooooo far out their way to impose this dumb older ALWAYS=better crap.
                  Seriously some posters go soooooooooooooooooo far out of their way to impose this dumb newer ALWAYS = better crap.

In what universe is Jose Luis Ramirez not an all time great?
                  That would be a universe were people actually know what the **** they're talking about.....unlike your ******ed fantasy world.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    Rawwwwr a 0-100 fighter from the 800 B.C. would kick a prime Roy Jones Jr ass
                    Poet

That is what you meant to say right?

Comment

Seriously this forum goes soooooooooooo far out their way to impose this dumb older ALWAYS=better crap

In what universe is Jose Luis Ramirez not an all time great? You guys stay overrating Hearns when in reality until he beat Virgil Hill he was a bridesmaid he was always close but could never get the big win.
                      In one with sanity.

Is Ramirez a good fighter? Yes.

Is he an ATG? **** no.

Comment

Working...
                      X