Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – The Three Legacies of Bernard Hopkins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – The Three Legacies of Bernard Hopkins

by David P. Greisman - Perhaps Bernard Hopkins never truly cared what we thought of him, this rebel who had defied a system stacked against him. He lived by his own standards, thrived through his own principles, acted as his own judge, jury and, appropriately, executioner.

There he was, a free man decades after a prison warden told him he’d soon be back.

There he was, a rich man in a business where few fulfill the promise of financial rewards.

There he was, a healthy man in a sport where most experience the harsh premise of physical repercussions.

There he was, first a titleholder, then a champion, finally a future Hall of Famer, all after losing his first pro fight.

Except Hopkins couldn’t hide that he cared. The criticism compelled him, driving him to defy those who expected him to fail.

There he was, glaring at the boxing media at ringside after proving wrong those who overwhelmingly predicted he would lose against Kelly Pavlik in 2008.

There he was, going off on a boxing writer who had compiled predictions from writers and fighters, nearly all of whom predicted he would lose against Chad Dawson this past weekend.

That Bernard Hopkins both cares and doesn’t care what we think of him is why we will think of him in more than one way.

What we remember depends on how we remember it. Our worst memories of ourselves stick with us, haunting us with past moments and embarrassments. Our best memories of others remain, embellishing their features, whitewashing their flaws. [Click Here To Read More]

Barrios must be thanking his lucky monies.

Comment

I feel sorry for those who've taken him for granted, fighters like these only come along once in a lifetime.
      Last edited by winky's right; 04-30-2012, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Looks like we will definitely have JMM/Manny IV....he really is going to chase Manny until one of them retires. There are so many fights for him at 140 and yet he chases one person. Its a bit disturbing to see a great fighter fighting left handed bums just to get another fight with Pacman. This by far is the most disturbing and dissapointing news I've heard in a while. Oh well. Rios vs Maidana anyone???? Oh wait....Madonna isn't with Top Rank....nevermind.

Comment

Regarding B-Hop. If you can't recognize this cat as an all time great hall of famer or respect the skills he possess or respect his resume or respect his ring intelligence or at least appreciate what this man his accomplished then you my friend are an a$$hole and a d1ck!

Comment

HOP's legacy should be a new category, the dirtiest fighter who made it further than any other dirty fighter in Boxing history, Bernard Hopkins.

Comment

Originally posted by Thickback View Post
              Regarding B-Hop. If you can't recognize this cat as an all time great hall of famer or respect the skills he possess or respect his resume or respect his ring intelligence or at least appreciate what this man his accomplished then you my friend are an a$$hole and a d1ck!
              well said

Comment

Originally posted by SekondzOut View Post
                well said
                secondzout, i think you owe me some cheddar, on that bernard hopkins loss, my man

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
                  secondzout, i think you owe me some cheddar, on that bernard hopkins loss, my man
                  sending it through the wire right now my dude....don't spend it all in one place!!!

Comment

I'll always prefer a fighter that fights the best fighters in or around his weight class even if he complains about losing. As opposed to a fighter that cherrypicks & dances his way around dangerous fighters while getting praised for winning against people they're supposed to beat, but that's just me.

Comment

Working...
                    X