Collapse
No announcement yet.

Todd duBoef: "not only does Gamboa have a contract, it was recently extended."

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like the whole Pacquiao and Donaire contract situations. Top Rank got their way and I think Top Rank will get their way again with Gamboa.

Comment

There could be a buyout clause, but I bet Arum learned his lesson after Floyd. . .

Hahahaha @ stupid *****ze and their theories. . Thing is, they'd rather have him sign with Mayweather just so they can in some weird way claim "victory", then see Gamboa take on Rios. . .

Comment

Originally posted by hhs661 View Post
        Yeah, it was beyond a reach on my part lol

For Gamboa to do something like this must mean he has something to back up his gamble. Either proof of wrongdoing from Top Rank or simply thinking Floyd and his team can actually win when the court battle happens
        I dont know what alot of fighters are thinking by doing stuff like this. Donaire did it and had to resign like a 4 year deal with TR and im fairly certain her doesnt wanna be with Arum.

Just the litigation that follows these types of disputes take forever and can ruin a fighters career

Comment

Originally posted by Mayweather41-0 View Post
          I know all signs point against this but I feel that this fight will still happen April 14th
          No way.... i give it like a 5% chance of going thru

Comment

Gamboa-Rios in jeopardy after no-show

The highly anticipated April fight between Brandon Rios and Yuri Gamboa is in jeopardy and frankly, no one knows why. On Monday, Gamboa was a no-show for his press conference in Miami to promote the bout, a press conference his promoter, Top Rank, says Gamboa specifically asked for.

“I’m totally confused,” said Gamboa’s trainer, Emanuel Steward. “I called [co-promoter] Ahmet Ohner and he told me he was having problems. What I gathered from Ahmet is that he doesn’t have much control over the situation. He seemed very frustrated.”

Steward, who just returned from training unified heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko, said the plan was for him to begin working with Gamboa after Andy Lee’s fight on March 10th. Now, Steward reiterated, “I have no idea what is going to happen.”

Complicating the situation is the possible involvement of Floyd Mayweather. On Monday night David Levi, Mayweather’s personal assistant, posted a picture on Twitter of Gamboa working out at Mayweather’s boxing gym. Last month Roger Mayweather reportedly told boxingscene.com that Gamboa had signed a promotional deal with Mayweather Promotions.

Top Rank President Todd duBoef says that not only does Gamboa have an ironclad promotional contract with Top Rank, but the two sides recently agreed to an extension.

Top Rank issued a press release Monday confirming Tuesday’s scheduled press conference in Los Angeles to promote Rios-Gamboa will go on as planned.

Said duBoef, “We’re expecting him to be there.”
            http://mma-boxing.si.com/2012/03/05/...after-no-show/
            Last edited by Evil Abed; 03-05-2012, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
              I dont know what alot of fighters are thinking by doing stuff like this. Donaire did it and had to resign like a 4 year deal with TR and im fairly certain her doesnt wanna be with Arum.

Just the litigation that follows these types of disputes take forever and can ruin a fighters career
              I don't get it either.. The Donaire situation I think could have worked had it not been for his wife going all crazy and talking about it like no one's business. Then you have Gamboa, instead of faking an injury or illness, misses his press conferences and shows up in Mayweather's gym..

I guess history will repeat itself once again when Top Rank goes to court. I seriously don't see how they can lose this case at all.

Comment

I'd like to hear Ahmet Oner's input on this.

I wouldn't expect to see Gamboa in the ring for a least a year.

Comment

Chris Mannix ‏ @ChrisMannixSI Close
                  If Gamboa doesn't show up tomorrow, the end result is he will probably sit out for a while. Top Rank has no intention of letting him go.

Comment

Gamboa signed an extension. Donaire thought his contract was up in his own ignorance.

Big difference. Arum has every right to ruin Gamboa's career

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
                      There could be a buyout clause, but I bet Arum learned his lesson after Floyd. . .

Hahahaha @ stupid *****ze and their theories. . Thing is, they'd rather have him sign with Mayweather just so they can in some weird way claim "victory", then see Gamboa take on Rios. . .
                      I've seen a few posters say this, i was just shocked. How can you call yourself a boxing fan

Comment

Working...
                      X