Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to deal with nerves ...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just go out and do what you have got to do, really speaking it is like jumping into a pool of cold water, there is always anxiety before you get started but once things are in motion you'll be cool well warm.

Comment

I think everybody gets nervous their first times sparring i know i do!! but remember two things, YOU EITHER PUNCH OR GET PUNCHED!! try to establish yourself as the dominant of the two, chances are your opponent is just as nervous as you are, intimidate HIM do not be the intimidated because if your opponent see's you are scared he will keep throwing because all you'll do is cover up. throw punches no matter if they land or not, it will make you'r opponent think twice before engaging with you because he knows you will throw back!! ENJOY IT AND HAVE FUN!! remember its just a sport, your not trying to kill each other, loosen up dont be so tense about it, use your jab and move around dont just stand in one spot.
      ironpad ironpad likes this.

Comment

I train with a lot of bigger stronger guys who hit pretty hard, as a result I find myself getting nervous and worrying about not taking the big shots. This is not good for my sparring or for my health as it shuts my game down. I've focused over the last little while on simplifying my thoughts towards sparring and turning them inwards.

Example:
        Focus on keeping a tight guard, moving, keeping my jab going, and getting off first.

The result, I get hit less, score more and am able to use more of my tools.

Best of luck.

Comment

Sometimes you've just got to bite down on your mouth piece and say right 'let's go'. Mind over matter.

Comment

Well... You should not have to be nervous for a sparring session? Man, it is just for your training try to relax, enjoy it and learn from it

Comment

Originally posted by Littlechicken View Post
              Well... You should not have to be nervous for a sparring session? Man, it is just for your training try to relax, enjoy it and learn from it
              I would guess that you have yet to spend time in a ring........Rockin

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                I would guess that you have yet to spend time in a ring........Rockin
                I guess his sparring partner only goes for the arms or something...

Comment

Originally posted by sleazyfellow View Post
                  I guess his sparring partner only goes for the arms or something...

sssh, if it were only that easy. When you're just starting out your head could be ringing for a couple days.

And its good to see the SleazyFellow back on the scene, where ya been?.........Rockin'

Comment

Out impregnating more women, going for the world record.

Comment

experience.

just know that the gym is your safe zone so u have nothing to lose. get in there and do your thing, with time u will get more used to both sparring and getting hit. in fact with time u will probably like sparring and look forward to it, the getting hit part not so much.

im gonna fight on feb.18th and im nervous as **** alreay lol, that never goes away. im looking forward to fighting but i hate that part right before. i still get petrified before fights, start shaking and getting thoughts of running away and never setting foot in the gym again. but i still get in there and afterwards im always happy i did, even when i lose. going through that kind of stuff makes u more of a man.

like cuz d'amato said, "a brave man isnt a man without fear, a man without fear is insane. all sane ppl have fear, those who run away from it are cowards while those who face it are truly brave". (something like that lol)

Comment

Working...
                      X