Comments Thread For: Tony Thompson: Best Of The Rest

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by techliam View Post
    Yea it should be.

I've always thought Thompson was good. I picked him over Price the first time, because I knew the only really meaningful losses Thompson had were to Wlad - it was a huge step up for Price. You really have to knock him out or he'll keep on being determined to win. Against Wlad, I felt both times it was a confidence issue, but despite that, Wlad-Thompson 1 was often called Wlad's toughest fight in years.

I wouldn't talk him up as much as Jake does on here. He's the best US Heavyweight in terms of resume so far, but Haye and Pulev would probably be favourites over him.

One thing I really hate though, as when Thompson won over Price, the Americans on this site instantly turned this into a nationalist thing: posts like USA USA USA. USA>Britain/Europe etc. It's really pathetic, and pretty much backward. It makes it hard to like American fighters as it seems you are joining in the Nationalist "hype" behind them - especially so for Heavyweights, and it's not even the fighters fault.
    i would agree but britain is one of the worst when it comes to nationalist hype for god sake u guys boo the national anthems of the opponents of course we get pissed. britain is no different then mexico or philipine when it comes to nationalist bs. america is probably the least bad when it comes to that look how many people from us route against fighters from the usa that hardly happens in other countries you guys booed our national anthem again i dont blame people for doing what they did one bit not to mention britain fans have been trying say american heavyweights are dead but our 41 yr old fighter has now beat your "best" prospect twice in a row. who else do you have fury who almost got knocked out by a us cruiser weight give me a break. why dont we put our best heavy prospect up against yours wilder vs fury or price we all know the ending to that
    Last edited by Cinci Champ; 07-07-2013, 03:05 PM.

Comment

The amusing thing is that it's entirely possible that, if the Klitschko's never took up boxing, Tony Thompson would right now be a fairly dominant HW champ, American sportswriters and fans would be talking about how great he is and debating about whether he's the greatest ever or not, and no one would be any the wiser.

Comment

Thompson would be the ideal test for Deontay Wilder.

Comment

Working...
        X