No announcement yet.

roy jones jr has NO legacy at 160,,168,,175 or over 200 pounds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
    he was green because a year and a half later he struggled and looked not very good against a journeyman, and performed FAR better a few years after that. If he was still green a year and a half after the Jones fight, then it stands to reason that he was also green in the Jones fight.

I told you very clearly I thought Hopkins' prime started at the Glen Johnson fight, and lasted until about the Trinidad fight. not his old man version. early 30s are not a strange age to be prime at all, just look at Wladimir for example.

Hopkins started late in boxing: every fighter has different primes, and if you really think he was closer to prime in the Mercado fight(or before) than he was in the Johnson/Trinidad fight, then I question your boxing knowledge.
    Who did he look green against a year and a half after Jones?

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
      Who did he look green against a year and a half after Jones?
      Segundo Mercado.
      not his best night, thats for sure. I actually had him winning that first fight, but theres no doubt he was having a rough night...and when it gets down to it, Mercado was just a journeyman.

Comment

Green K, great thread !

Comment

Segundo Mercado.
          not his best night, thats for sure. I actually had him winning that first fight, but theres no doubt he was having a rough night...and when it gets down to it, Mercado was just a journeyman.
          Yeah...but he gave Hopkins a lot less problems than the altitude did.

Comment

If RJJ doesn't have a legacy which fighters do have a better one? I would say very few.

Comment

All i know is ive been watching boxing boxing since i was a little kid and Roy Jones is one of the very very best if not the best i ever saw do it

Easy to look back and say this or that but Roy was a mile ahead of everyone in the game for a time

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                Yeah...but he gave Hopkins a lot less problems than the altitude did.
                not buying it. its your job as a boxer to be prepared for climate and fighting conditions. even from the beginning of the fight Mercado was giving Hopkins more trouble than expected. prime Hopkins would have had no trouble whatsoever with Mercado, altitude or not.

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                  All i know is ive been watching boxing boxing since i was a little kid and Roy Jones is one of the very very best if not the best i ever saw do it

Easy to look back and say this or that but Roy was a mile ahead of everyone in the game for a time
                  Nobody doubts his skills, just his resume. Roy Jones is probably in the top 3 most gifted fighter of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Akhi View Post
                    He's top 5.
                    What do you expect, this guy thinks M A Barrera is an unskilled boxer. Roy Jones was never a skilled boxer, he relied on speed and athleticism. Watch the guy fight and you'd think he is a point guard with boxing gloves on. He is an ATG imo though.

Comment

not buying it. its your job as a boxer to be prepared for climate and fighting conditions. even from the beginning of the fight Mercado was giving Hopkins more trouble than expected. prime Hopkins would have had no trouble whatsoever with Mercado, altitude or not.
                      I'm not sure there's anything to buy. I said that the altitude gave him more problems than Mercado did which is pretty true. On two occasions he needed help walking back to his corner, he could barely stand. Also, a prime Hopkins had difficulty in the early rounds as well. It's been his M.O. throughout his career.

Comment

Working...
                      X