First sparring session

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First sparring session

Hi,

This is my first time posting here but today I wanted to ask for some advice from my first sparring session. Before I talk about that though I would like to say that I train 3 times a week and my coach says I have good form hitting the bags and throwing combos. On Friday I came to class and there was another guy there named Jeff. Coach pulled us aside and asked us if we wanted to sparr each other so we both accepted as it was going to be both our first times sparring. I'm 16 and weigh 154 pounds and Jeff is 32 and weighs a little bit more than me. We had both been coming in for 3 months except he has been doing many private sessions with my coach while I just attended the classes. Long story short we sparred and he beat me pretty bad. I talked to the coach afterwards and he said that I pretty much forgot everything I'd been working on but not to worry about it because he was a lot older than me and that no one really does good their first sparring match. Is this all normal? Thank you for your advice in advance.

Mate, first up sparring shouldn't be a competition. It should be controlled and you should never get "beaten pretty bad" in your first or even first 20 sparring sessions (if any). You're supposed to be learning to apply what you have been practicing in the gym. Not fighting against an opponent who is heavier and more experienced than you are.

It sounds like the guy you were sparring with wasn't really interested in allowing the sparring session to be beneficial to you, as well as him. Honestly I'm surprised that your coach allowed this to happen. Sure, heated sparring sessions have their place however they are for experienced boxers only (pro's and experienced amateurs). While you are still new to sparring I'd suggest sparring with a far more experienced boxer at your gym. Someone you can talk to before hand and explain that you are looking to gain some experience, and work on something specific (maybe putting combinations together on the inside or practicing your counter punching) Find someone who is easy going and ideally, a lower weight class and a higher level of ability than you. That way, they won't have anything to prove and you can get used to relaxing when sparring, without the fear of getting beaten up. I hope this helps mate - cheers. Craig

Comment

I agree,

Sparring is supposed to be a learning experience for both fighters. Given that you're both only 3 months in maybe that's why you had that experience.

Normally if you go up against an experienced fighter the coach will tell him to jab you or pick your weak spots to point out your weaknesses but at the same time he'll tell him to take it easy. Unless you do something that really pisses a fighter off he'll have no reason to hurt to "beat you up". Personally I don't get angry even if new fighter things hes tough **** and goes all out on me, but some fighters do...

Overall don't worry, sparring is really hard in the beginning. It's when you realize bag work and pad work is nothing like the real thing. It'll take a while before you feel comfortable, you'll get hit but you'll get better. Don't let it get you down

Comment

he beat me pretty bad

He actually inflicted pain or were your "feelings" hurt more than the physical side?
        I ran a gym for many many years and trained national champions and had world pro's and contenders come to me for training.
        I have NEVER had a young man first spar at 3 months in or complain about getting "beat up"! Your either not sure how to explain your spar session or your trainer is a jerk who let a 32 year old man beat up on a kid with no experience!

Which is it, your inability to explain what happened or his lack of care for a student?

Ray

Comment

Sounds like a lot of people here train at really dodgy gyms with **** trainers

I was always told never to let two beginners spar each other. Always put a new guy in with someone who's had some fights.

This way it doesn't turn into a brawl. The new guy can be worked with and helped, and if he wants to be a tough guy he can taste a liver shot.

Comment

The first time everyone spars they think they got beat up. That's because they never experienced being hit in the face before.

Comment

Working...
            X