Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tito Trinidad was the longest reighing WW champ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tito Trinidad was the longest reighing WW champ?

says that on wikipedia. Not trying to start a flame debate but being the longest reigning champ in arguably the toughest division in boxing, has to be an accomplishment. He did it in a time with more belts, but still!

At WW, he was a determined mofo, hard nut to crack.

I know he has the most title defences.

That must mean he's the #1 WW because as we all know the more Title defences you have the greater you are.

Sorry, I'm in NSB mode.

Trinidad was an excellent WW. Top 20 ATG at the weight as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      I know he has the most title defences.

That must mean he's the #1 WW because as we all know the more Title defences you have the greater you are.

Sorry, I'm in NSB mode.

Trinidad was an excellent WW. Top 20 ATG at the weight as far as I'm concerned.
      I think Henry Armstrong has the most WW title defenses.

Comment

Originally posted by PED User View Post
        Yeah, with 18. Lineal/Undisputed as well.

Comment

also holds the record for kayos in title defenses at the weight i believe

i'd go through the boxrec and get the exact number
          but i'll settle on a "boatload" being sufficient

for a little guy and a modest puncher he knew how to knock a man out

Comment

My bad. How could I forget?

Armstrong is #1 and Trinidad is#2.

18>15>>>>>>>>>>

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              My bad. How could I forget?

Armstrong is #1 and Trinidad is#2.

18>15>>>>>>>>>>

i've got to run, but i'd be interested to know if the TS was talking about the length of trinidad's tenure as champ

instead of the amount of defenses.

when i get back i will check it out.

trinidad won his belt in '03 i believe

and fought oscar in 99
              in what i [I]think[I] was his last fight at WW with the IBF belt, but i cant be sure without checking the record

we're getting old. that was well over a decade ago now, lol.

one of you guys can give the years for armstrong's WW run off the top of his head, surely
              Last edited by New England; 01-30-2012, 11:43 AM.

Comment

He defended the paper title longer than than anyone else in terms of years. But, as far as the real title is concern he won it in the Oscar fight and moved up to 154 without ever defending it. Armstrong defended the lineal title 18 times.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
                  He defended the paper title longer than than anyone else in terms of years. But, as far as the real title is concern he won it in the Oscar fight and moved up to 154 without ever defending it. Armstrong defended the lineal title 18 times.
                  Yep. It's one of those classic 'modern vs old' debates. In my opinion, the classic era wins quite easily. The new guy won a title and defended it many, many times over a longer period of time than the old guys who won the only title, lineal and unified (since he beat all the top contenders too) if you will, and defended it more times but over a shorter period of time.

To me, it goes without saying that defending the lineal (which would today be the lineal and unified titles) title 18 times spanks the bollocks off defending a fringe title over more years. He didn't actually prove himself the true champ at all until his very last fight at 147. If he had beaten Oscar and won the lineal, and unified title in his first title fight and defended it over the 7 years he defended his paper title, I'd be very impressed. He didn't though.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                    Yep. It's one of those classic 'modern vs old' debates. In my opinion, the classic era wins quite easily. The new guy won a title and defended it many, many times over a longer period of time than the old guys who won the only title, lineal and unified (since he beat all the top contenders too) if you will, and defended it more times but over a shorter period of time.

To me, it goes without saying that defending the lineal (which would today be the lineal and unified titles) title 18 times spanks the bollocks off defending a fringe title over more years. He didn't actually prove himself the true champ at all until his very last fight at 147. If he had beaten Oscar and won the lineal, and unified title in his first title fight and defended it over the 7 years he defended his paper title, I'd be very impressed. He didn't though.

truth. Titles don't really mean much these days, which is a pity, boxing would be 100 times better if it had one governing body, 1 title per class. Boxing would be incredible.

Comment

Working...
                    X