Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you agree with the Mares stoppage, youmustagree with Steele stopping Chavez Taylor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vacon04 View Post
    I actually disagree with Mares's stoppage but not with the Chavez stoppage. Mares was knocked down twice and hurt, but it was the first round, he wasn't taking a beating, so I think he deserved the chance to try to get up. He only needed 3 more seconds and if he was too hurt to continue then the ref could stop the fight.

I agree with the Chavez-Taylor stoppage because Meldrick took a massive beating during the final rounds and was badly hurt. He didn't just receive one hard punch that took him down, but a terrible beating that actually sent him to the hospital pissing blood. As soon as he got knocked down the fight was over, if he had taken one more punch he could've been killed.
    OMG you literally got this totally backwards. Taylor fought 12 hard rounds against Chaves and should have gotten his W, there was 3 seconds left.

Mares got caught in the 1st round and was not gonna survive 11 more.

This is a purely biased opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by ImStillHere View Post
      OMG you literally got this totally backwards. Taylor fought 12 hard rounds against Chaves and should have gotten his W, there was 3 seconds left.

Mares got caught in the 1st round and was not gonna survive 11 more.

This is a purely biased opinion.
      Exactly... You don't "protect" a fighter by letting him fight his ass off for 12 rounds, taking a vicious beating... If the fight is that close, but one guy's taking a beating, you have to let it go on... You don't wait till the 12th round... I mean, look what happened to his career afterward... Steele didn't protect anything but Chavez's record
      Last edited by JDezi4; 08-25-2013, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KING MEAT View Post
        its not like back in the day. refs these days are poosies.

mares shouldve been given a full count.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
        I sort of agree with the 5'2 aesthetic midget, refs suck **** these days but that was an alright stoppage

Comment

This was the first round. JCC/MT was the last and final round, he was up, and was about to dethrone JCC, Richard Steele knew the time and was a fixed ref. Poor comparison.

Comment

There is no comparison. The fight last night was in the first round. You could clearly see in Mares eyes that he wasn't ok. The Taylor fight had a few seconds left in a fight he was winning. He jumped up as soon as he was KD. This was one of many gifts from Don King to Chavez. If Steele was trying to protect Taylor he could have had the Dr come in and evaluate him. Two completely different situations. The Mares stoppage was ok, the Taylor stoppage was a black eye on the sport.

Comment

Round 1 ( 11 rounds left to go).
              Round 12 ( 0 rounds left to go).

I don't actually blame the referee for waving the fight off, in the Chavez vs Taylor fight, but your comparison is ludicrous at best.

Comment

htey aren't at all alike, but i agree with both. one was in the first round, the other at the end of a war.

the ref is just a few feet away from a fighter. he can hear him. he can see exactly what's going on.

in the steele case, he asked taylor if he was OK, and he didnt' answer.

in mares case, he wasn't even looking at the ref. he was looking glazed, a bit confused, and badly hurt.

Comment

Mares was stupid at the end there. After the first KD he needed to clinch and hold for the last seconds of the round......instead he's trading and gets sent down again. I know he's a warrior and has a big heart, but you can't do that at 126 where the guys are all bigger than you. Hopefully he learns from that.

Comment

He should have let him get up and then see if he couldnt continue. The 2nd KD wasnt devastating and abner looked fine IMO. I had no idea there were only a few seconds left until i entered this thread tho

Comment

Originally posted by NEELZ View Post
                      Chavez - Taylor was a horrible stoppage. He was winning the fight. The fight was in the last round with a few seconds to go and he deserved the opportunity to finish the fight and have it go to the scorecards. He took one flash knockdown and got up immediately. This idea that next punch would have been killed with the next punch is Highly speculative and just justification for those who wanted Chavez to win.

Flash knockdown.

Comment

Working...
                      X