Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Liddell looks to remain in UFC another "two to four years"

Chuck Liddell looks to remain in UFC another "two to four years"

Chris Insinna

Although Chuck Liddell (21-5 MMA, 16-4 UFC) may have lost two of his previous three fights and be turning 39 years old this December, don't expect the 10-year UFC veteran to be calling it quits anytime soon.

The ex-UFC-light-heavyweight champion said he still has a few years left while a guest of "The Lights Out Show" on the TAGG Radio Network (www.taggradio.com)

"(I still have) two to four years depending on how my body's feeling," Liddell said. "I'm hoping in two years I'll still be saying 'two to four years.' I still feel like fighting now and my body is still working now."

While many of the sport's newer fighters enjoy moving from camp to camp in order to evolve their techniques, Liddell feels he has been served well by remaining with John Hackleman at The Pit throughout his career.

"We have people come in and train with us," Liddell explained. "And I work out with different people from time to time. But changing actual camps all the time, and doing that travelling thing, I don't think that's advantageous."

Another growing trend among today's fighters is the choice to bounce from organization to organization in order to seek out the highest pay. While several contenders such as EliteXC and Affliction would certainly love to have the exposure "The Iceman" would bring to their organization, the veteran of 20 UFC fights feels comfortable remaining with the UFC.

"The UFC has been very good to me, and I don't see me fighting anywhere else," Liddell said. "At this point they have all the best fighters in my weight, so that's where I want to be. I'm trying to prove I'm the best at what I do. That's what I'm out there doing. So I don't see me changing anytime soon."

And though speculation continues to grow around a possible move to heavyweight, Liddell feels there are still too many quality opponents in his own division to set his sights on another.

"Going up (in weight) is always a possibility," Liddell admitted. "But there's still a few guys I need to fight at my weight. And until then I'm not going to worry about going up or down.

"I've thought about (moving to heavyweight) before, but until I get done with some of the things I want to get done at light-heavyweight it doesn't make sense to move."

And with Liddell's UFC 88 main-event clash with undefeated Rashad Evans looming just two weeks away, the 38-year-old understands the importance of victory. And with a win Liddell feels a title show should follow.

"I think I have a good chance (for a title shot) after this fight," Liddell said. "I need to go out and win, and win impressively. And then I think it would make sense."

Liddell also discussed his thoughts about his previously-scheduled bout with Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, his opinion of Lyoto Machida, and why he feels his style has been so successful in the UFC. To hear the full interview download Thursday's edition of "The Lights Out Show," available for free in the TAGG Radio Network archives.

And with Liddell's UFC 88 main-event clash with undefeated Rashad Evans looming just two weeks away, the 38-year-old understands the importance of victory. And with a win Liddell feels a title show should follow.

it will follow, just watch.

but 4 more years? damn those "Im gonna knock him out in the 1st or 2nd round" pre promo videos are going to get awfully lame. if they haven't already that is.

Comment

"I'm hoping in two years I'll still be saying 'two to four years.'

so he thinks he could be fighting for another 6 years?

Hell if he keeps winning I hope he does stick around.

Comment

Hell if he keeps winning I hope he does stick around.[/QUOTE]

well there are still A LOT of names Liddell can fight ... plus those Rampage and Jardine loses still remain undefeated.

after 88 most likely he'll be facing Forrest for the Title.

but that move up to Heavy I'd to say as unlikely ... unless Lesnar can win the Belt i see Chuck staying at Light Heavy and eventually facing Rampage, Wanderlei or Machida

cuz he will get the next title shot, I'd be shocked if it went any other way.

Comment

I dont think he has 4 years of fighting left in him, 3 or 4 more fights and that will be him done.

Comment

He should retire IMO. He has a few fights left but definitely not 4 years of fights..

Comment

Working...
            X