Boxingscene Movie Reviews Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Territories (2010)

AKA: Check Point

Five friends returning from a marriage in Canada return home to the United States. Not far from the border, two customs officers stop them to check their identity. Suspicious, they take their time especially with Jalil, a man of Arab origin. The situation worsens when a customs officer finds a small bag of marijuana in the luggage. Then things degenerate. Gradually, it dawns on the four tourists that they are in the hands of former torturers from Guantanamo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This started out tense and abit disturbing, Had some potential and the actors where not bad. Just never really went anywhere. No real gore or blood just slow paced torture/imprisonment. Near they end they throw in a character out of the blue that just doesn't seem to fit. Ending is uneventful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTjNytHQFtQ
    Last edited by Erik K; 01-29-2012, 08:59 PM.

Comment

• "X-Men First Class"

In 1962, the United States government enlists the help of Mutants with superhuman abilities to stop a malicious dictator who is determined to start world war III.

As you may have picked up on I'm not a big fan of CGI especially poorly done CGI. Well thankfully this was not the case in this movie. I was very impressed at how well it was done. The movie itself held my interest greatly and I loved the Character development throughout the movie. The action scenes were done very well and the acting was very good as well. I thought this was a great addition to the X-Men series and was made well enough to help you understand the characters as well for the other movies. I highly recommend this movie.

Rocco Rating 8.5 out of 10

Comment

• "Constantine"

Constantine tells the story of irreverent supernatural detective John Constantine, who has literally been to hell and back.

Not much to say about this movie, other than a typical Keanu Reeves movie who reminds me of a Christian Bale, always trying to hard to make the part that more dramatic. The CGI was ok, the story was good and the cast was alright.

Rocco Rating 6.5 out of 10

Comment

• The Guard

Fantastic comedy but it wont be everyones cup of tea. Loads of genuine lols throughout the movie, highly reccomend it 8/10. Yanks not familiar with sarcastic humour might not get it, and will probably say something stupid like "its racist". For everyone else who enjoys Irish humour, sit back, put your feet up and enjoy the show

"Like a Donkey ****ing a hippo it's party time."

Comment

• "Colombiana"

A young woman grows up to be a stone-cold assassin after witnessing her parents' murder as a child in Bogota. She works for her uncle as a hitman by day, but her personal time is spent engaging in vigilante murders that she hopes will lead her to her ultimate target - the mobster responsible for her parents' death.

If you like action movies, with lots of killing and the "Bourne Trilogy" feel this is gonna be right up your alley. Great action scenes, not so much the hand to hand fighting scenes but the rest was up to snuff. The Story is good and the sound track was ok as well. Zoe Saldana is hot and makes her character believable. The only downside to this film is the fact it doesn't go too deep with the story and character development which if they make a sequel I'm sure they will. I would really recommend this movie just based on the action, and could even see myself taking the time to watch it again.

Rocco Rating 7.5 out of 10

Comment

• "Paranormal Activity 3"

A malign and murderous spirit continues to dwell within a San Diego home in this second creepy sequel to 2007's chilling Paranormal Activity. Hoping to catch photo evidence of Bloody Mary, the residents soon become victims in their own horror film.

Another one of those Blair Witch type films and the 3rd installment in this series. This time around just didnt have it, it took place in 1988, 18 years before the 2nd film showing the kids as they were growing up and how the horrors all began. The problem with this film was unlike the previous ones there was really no scare tactics it was just a bunch of sounds leading up to a few shadows and moving objects. I think it could have had so much more potential, but after the first 2 in series they just seem to be pumping them out and going off the name. And after saying that, Part 4 is already in pre-production.

Rocco Rating 5 out of 10

Comment

• I was on a documentary kick last night, and I checked out the following two films :

Life in a Day

Ehhh....The initial concept absolutely blew my ****ing mind : Ask everyday people all around the globe to record a normal day in their life all on the same date (July 24th, 2010), and edit it all down to a reasonable length documentary. Culled from over 4,500 hours of footage, the purpose I suppose was to provide viewers with a video "time capsule", and illustrate exactly how much can occur in the lives of our species within a single day.

The film is basically what it's title implies : Life in a day. You will see everyday people from all across the world going about their day from an American (I think?) woman battling breast cancer, to an Englishman who had recently undergone major heart surgery, to a poor Hispanic (Mexican, I think?) boy shining shoes for money to survive, to a total dweeb with an 1852 'stache asking a girl out on a date (and being rejected, lulz), and everything in between.

It's a vast look at life throughout a variety of different cultures, but I don't think it will appeal to many who do not have an intrest in such cultures. Fortunately for me, I love this sort of ****, so I found it rather compelling viewing from start to finish. Though I did think the final product was somewhat typical of human self-aggrandizement : I'm not sure what exactly compels a person to believe that their life is so special that it should be captured on film and broadcast to the world, and the final clip from some American girl touches on exactly that in a rather poignant manner.

7/10

Project Nim

This was definitely the better of the two documentaries, IMO. For those of you not familiar with it, "Project Nim" is a documentary based upon the research experiment conducted by Herbert Terrace at Columbia University in the 1970s.

The experiment was to take newborn chimpanzee from it's mother, have it raised by a human family, and attempt to teach it language to see if inter-species communication was truly possible. Since chimps cannot vocalize the way human beings do, it was decided that Nim (The chimp, named Nim Chimpsky after famous linguist and philosopher Noam Chomsky) would learn sign language.

The film is (thankfully) loaded with tons of footage captured throughout the experiment, and covers most of Nim's life over the course of many years, as well as a compelling look at the charting of his progress learning how to communicate with his handlers.

This documentary is easily the best documentary I've seen in the last 3 years. It's a gripping, visceral, unflinching view of the life of one very special chimpanzee, as well as the human beings who basically destroyed his life. Furthermore, it forces the viewer to confront not only their idealized views of chimpanzees being "human" animals whom we place a special connection upon, but also the effect of animal research as a whole.

****ing brilliant film, and I would highly recommend it to anybody reading this.

9/10.

Comment

• "Super 8"

During the summer of 1979, a group of friends witness a train crash and investigate subsequent unexplained events in their small town.

Honestly after seeing previews and reading what the critics have said I was very skeptical of this film not giving it much of a chance at being any good but I was very delighted at how well this movie was made. To me it had like a Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind / Stand By Me feel to it. It was very well made, I thought the acting was great, the story was great and so was the over all CGI. The only thing to me that could have been better was the ending and a few parts that were just way far fetched compared to the rest of the movie. A definite watch and could see myself even sitting down to watch it again. I think this movie will do very well over time unlike some that you forget about right after your done watching it.

Rocco Rating 8.5 out of 10

Comment

• "The Guard"

An unorthodox Irish policeman with a confrontational personality is teamed up with an uptight FBI agent to investigate an international drug-smuggling ring.

Saw the review by one of the posters here at the forums and decided it might be worth a watch. Honestly I can say it lived up to the hype. For a movie I never heard much about it was rather good. Action wasnt up there but it wasnt really an action movie. It was definitely racist at points but it made you laugh not take offense. I thought the one liners and dialog were great, the acting was very well done. The Character build up was good. Overall it was a good movie and definitely worth a watch if your into good humor movies.

Rocco Rating 8 out of 10

Comment

• Waltz with Bashir

Story about 1982 Lebannon War presented in A Scanner Darkly meets Casualties of War form.

9/10.

96% Rotten tomato rating.

Comment

Working...
                      X