No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roy Jones Jr. Doing What He Loves To Do - The Fighter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Roy Jones Jr. Doing What He Loves To Do - The Fighter

By Thomas Gerbasi - Like a growing number of people these days, Roy Jones Jr. is a Tim Tebow fan. You could chalk it up to the former pound-for-pound great from Pensacola cheering for a former Florida Gator, but it goes beyond that for Jones when it comes to his thoughts on the Denver Broncos quarterback.

“I’m one of the people that continue to tell people ‘Put Tebow in the game and let him play and watch what happens,’” Jones told BoxingScene.com on Thursday. “He has a gift. God blessed Tebow. Not that he’s gonna look good, not that he’s gonna be your best passer, not that he may even win you a Super Bowl. But put him in the game and watch what happens. I guarantee you that he’ll win more games than he’s gonna lose. Because that’s what he is and that’s what his gift is.”

If anyone knows about having a gift in the world of professional sports, it’s Jones. The Boxing Writers Association of America’s “Fighter of the Decade” in the 90’s, Jones won world titles in the middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight, and heavyweight division and he made it look effortless because for him, it was. For a while, it looked like he would never be beaten (outside of his fluke disqualification loss to Montell Griffin in 1997, one avenged by a first round knockout less than five months later.) [Click Here To Read More]

Good interview. Surprised this is the first comment.

Comment

I don't care who Roy gets for a trainer. If he still can't pull the trigger or take a punch it's not going to matter anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if this bum he is about to fight kos him.

Comment

Roy should have retired years ago. Sucks that now past his prime he continues to fight anybody in any place in the world. Wish Roy would have challenged everybody in any place of the world when Roy was in his prime. When Roy fell he fell hard must wonder what steriods did to him.

Comment

Real good interview. It might be a little too late for Roy with a new trainer but at least he got someone who keeping it real with him. Imagine if he would of hooked up with Tom in his prime.

Comment

he's done & 1 punch away from a ko & another concussion (4 now)...

Comment

Wondering

I wonder if all theses people who are hating on Roy Jones have ever stepped into a ring or if they're just making comments about something they know nothing about. Is Roy even close to what he was 10 years ago? Of course not; even he admits it himself. But how can you tell somebody not to do something that they love doing? That's all he knows. I'm as much a Roy fan as there is, and admittedly it was tough watching him fall off and often is even tougher to watch him take these fights with dudes that couldn't have touched him 10 years ago and watch them KO him. But who are we to tell him to stop?

Comment

"Roy Jones Jr. Doing What He Loves To Do" -- Getting knocked out????

Comment

Originally posted by bboy80 View Post
                  "Roy Jones Jr. Doing What He Loves To Do" -- Getting knocked out????
                  fair point there man lol

Comment

Roy still has decent speed and good power. Problem is his reflexes are gone, his legs are gone, he either refuses to hold up his hand or goes into a shell. He can't avoid or endure punishment so he can't compete with any top fighters. If he had switched trainer and worked on more orthodox boxing, using the jab, blocking, putting together normal combinations... if he would have done that say five years and two knockouts ago he might been able to still compete on some level but he didn't so he can't. Roy is my favourite fighter but you can't go on throwing lead left hooks and fight with your hands at your waist when you are 42 and your legs are gone... everytime he faces anyone with a decent punch, ability to pressure or a high workrate he is going to lose so there is no way he will ever be a champion again... Can't he please be content with all he has achived, no one is young forever.

It was a good interesting interview anyway but sad to see roy wont quit after this fight. I hoped it would be his farwell fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X