Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P - Joe Strummer - The Clash

Clash star Strummer dies

The Clash in their heyday: Strummer is third from left

Joe Strummer, the leader of legendary Seventies punk band The Clash, has died aged 50.
    A spokesman for Strummer, real name John Graham Mellor, said the singer died at home on Sunday.

A post mortem examination is to be performed on Monday to confirm the cause of death, which a friend of the singer said was a heart attack.

The Clash was the greatest rock band - they wrote the rule book for U2 - Bono

Police were called to the singer's home, though they said the death was not suspicious.

A spokesman for Avon and Somerset Police said: "We believe police did attend as the death at the farmhouse in Broomfield near Bridgwater was sudden."

Strummer formed The Clash in the mid Seventies. Along with the Sex Pistols, they were the figureheads of the punk scene that put London on the map as the centre of the musical world.

Strummer was with new band The Mescaleros

U2 frontman Bono paid tribute to Strummer on Monday saying: "The Clash was the greatest rock band. They wrote the rule book for U2. It's such a shock."

Pete Jenner, the former manager of The Clash, told BBC News Online: "It's a huge loss.

"The band were one of the best live bands, as good as any band I've ever worked with."

Left-wing singer Billy Bragg added: "Within The Clash, Joe was the political engine of the band, and without Joe there's no political Clash and without The Clash the whole political edge of punk would have been severely dulled."

The Clash's hits

London Calling

Should I Stay Or Should I Go

Rock The Casbah

White Riot

Tommy Gun

Bank Robber

White Man In Hammersmith Palais

The Clash arguably gave punk a classic pop sensibility and their vital spirit in turn influenced later bands such as the Manic Street Preachers.

Strummer's death comes as the members of the Clash were believed to be considering a reunion, 17 years after the band split up.

They were reported to be planning a one-off gig next year as part of their induction ceremony at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in the US.

Strummer had long resisted reforming the band, and was said to be annoyed that the defunct group's songs overshadowed his work with new band The Mescaleros, which had more of a world music slant.

Click here to watch a clip of The Clash performing Clash City Rockers

The Clash were politically aware and became known as champions of left-wing causes. They even called their 1980 album Sandinista, after the left-wing guerrilla movement in Nicaragua.

They were anti-racist and noted for inflammatory, intelligent punk songs such as London Calling, White Riot, White Man In Hammersmith Palais and Tommy Gun.

The band, who also boasted Mick Jones, Topper Headon and Paul Simonon, became huge stars in the US.

Joe Strummer, on the left: Record deal denied The Clash huge profits
    Rolling Stone voted London Calling, their classic 1980 album (released in 1979 in the UK) as the best album of the Eighties.

Their 1982 song Should I Stay Or Should I Go was their biggest US hit, and was posthumously used in an ad for jeans manufacturer Levi's.

The Clash had huge record sales, but had signed a deal with their record company that denied them huge profits. They wore this as a badge of pride, claiming it ensured they still kept to their punk ideals.

Strummer led the band until 1986, after sacking Mick Jones. The band released their last album, the poorly-received Cut The Crap, the same year.

In recent years, apart from The Mescaleros, Strummer played with The Pogues and featured in several films, including Alex Cox's Walker and Straight To Hell, and Jim Jarmusch's 1989 Mystery Train.

He leaves a wife and children.

WATCH/LISTEN

ON THIS STORY

The BBC's Jon Brain
    "Joe Strummer had a heart attack"

Pat Gilbert, editor of Mojo magazine
    "One of the most important bands in musical history"

Musician Billy Bragg
    "He walked it like he talked it"

TALKING POINT

Joe Strummer
    Send your tributes for The Clash lead singer

See also:

23 Dec 02 | Music
    Strummer's lasting culture Clash

23 Dec 02 | Music
    Stars' tributes to Strummer

20 Dec 02 | Music
    Bono pens Mandela song

23 Dec 02 | Talking Point
    Joe Strummer: Your tributes

12 Nov 01 | Reviews
    Joe Strummer greets Gran Canaria

22 Sep 99 | Entertainment
    The Clash on film

Internet links:

Joe Strummer
    Joe Strummer fan site

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Top Music stories now:

Clash star Strummer dies

Girls Aloud top festive chart

Rapper wins Sound of 2003 poll

Ex-Beatle granted coat of arms

Irish song voted world's favourite

Fame Academy's Sinead signs deal

Bono pens Mandela song

Scotland's honour for Madonna

Links to more Music stories are at the foot of the page.

THis makes me sad I love the cash.

Comment

thats too bad.

Comment

I don't know a lot about this band, but the death of a music is even sad...I feel the same (i hope) when Chuck Schuldiner (Death guitar & vocals) died.

Comment

you know I have only heard Death recently after knowing about the band for years. that was a shame also.

Comment

Originally posted by Bzob
            THis makes me sad I love the cash.

Yes, I also love the cash.

Comment

Its always the talented people that dead too soon.

Avril Lavine will probably live forever

Comment

?

Comment

Figures that piece of **** Johnny Rotten outlives both Strummer and Joey Ramone...

No matter what anyone else says, the Clash will always be THE punk band.

Comment

Working...
                  X