No announcement yet.

Is Manny Pacquiao an all-time great?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obama View Post
    Manny is an ATG, but his selection of opponents pre-Cotto has been rather similar if I must say so. He seems to avoid slick fighters at all costs. I think he's taking Cotto only because Freddie figures Cotto is a spent force now.
    I duuno about avoiding slick fighters. There arent many that are at the top.

Barrera, Morales, Marquez, Hatton, Oscar and Cotto are all dangerous fights.
    Apart from Hatton they can all box very well, and had KO power.

I dont think there have been many big name slick boxers in those divisions.

Comment

Yea he is. Dumb question.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
        Id agree, also the fact that he represents(puts it on the line) makes him more of a great Champion in my eyes.

Fighters that go that extra mile to entertain or put their stamp on a performance, that is the sign of a true great, not many fighters realize how important that is anymore imo.
        Represents who? The Filipino's?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Anomaly View Post
          I duuno about avoiding slick fighters. There arent many that are at the top.

Barrera, Morales, Marquez, Hatton, Oscar and Cotto are all dangerous fights.
          Apart from Hatton they can all box very well, and had KO power.

I dont think there have been many big name slick boxers in those divisions.
          The fact that he avoided Guzman for at least 4 weight divisions and chose David Diaz over Casamayor or Campbell says it all.

He's flat out avoided slick fighters. There is no denying it. Cotto is going to be a fight that puts him out of his element, I'm quite sure. People will write it off as due to the weight, but it's going to come down to styles.

Comment

Beat a overated hatton,dead oscar,dead erik 2 and 3.washed up barrera the second time, jmm beat him twice.the only legit one out of them was the 1st barrera...he is very very overated..just my opinion

Comment

I was thinking, If manny wins a WW strap, that is ****ing amazing seeing as he was a Flyweight champ.....the catchweight **** annoys me though

yeah he is an ATG

Comment

Manny is an ATG but he's no Henry Armstrong. He got a Flyweight soup title because he was a teenager (ie still growing) and the division was weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
                  The fact that he avoided Guzman for at least 4 weight divisions and chose David Diaz over Casamayor or Campbell says it all.

He's flat out avoided slick fighters. There is no denying it. Cotto is going to be a fight that puts him out of his element, I'm quite sure. People will write it off as due to the weight, but it's going to come down to styles.
                  Im curious as to the timeline and when Pac avoided Guzman. Its only my opinion, but it seems to me Pac had bigger fish to fry and to the best of my recollection Guzman never distinguished himself against Morales, Barrera or Marquez. He also went tooth and nail against Barrios, who isn't half the fighter of Manny.

As far as the Pac-Diaz fight and him not choosing Nate or Casa.......If Floyd can get a pass for taking on a superlightweight at welter, should Pac get a pass for taking on Diaz in his first fight at 135?

Comment

Originally posted by KILLA RIGHT View Post
                    Beat a overated hatton,dead oscar,dead erik 2 and 3.washed up barrera the second time, jmm beat him twice.the only legit one out of them was the 1st barrera...he is very very overated..just my opinion
                    ATG or not? i think that is the question.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                      Im curious as to the timeline and when Pac avoided Guzman. Its only my opinion, but it seems to me Pac had bigger fish to fry and to the best of my recollection Guzman never distinguished himself against Morales, Barrera or Marquez. He also went tooth and nail against Barrios, who isn't half the fighter of Manny.

As far as the Pac-Diaz fight and him not choosing Nate or Casa.......If Floyd can get a pass for taking on a superlightweight at welter, should Pac get a pass for taking on Diaz in his first fight at 135?
                      Poor excuse to duck Guzman. Pac chased fighters in other divisions while Guzman was always in his.

Let's not bring Floyd into a Pac thread. Floyd fought every type of fighter there is. He isn't untested against any fighting style. I didn't call Pac an avoider of quality opponents, I called him an avoider of slick boxing styles.

Comment

Working...
                      X