No announcement yet.

Getting winded

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting winded

I am starting to think I am never gonna have the wind to go 6 or so good sparring rounds. I am sure everyone gets tired but sometimes I feel as if my lungs are gonna burst. I always try to push myself to exaustion when training but I am not seeing good enough results. I smoked cigs a few year ago and was wondering if they could still be lingering or if I am just not preparing myself with the right exercises. Any suggestions on the best exercises for strictly getting more wind???

What part of you feels tired, your legs or your arms? It could also be how you're pacing yourself through the rounds.

Comment

I used to run a constant pace outside for 3 miles every other day for a year, this was after boxing for 3 years already and never running, after about my third week of running, i noticed i lasted longer in sparring 1 whole round was easier, Now i bought a treadmill, I use 8oz wrist weights on both wrist and ankle weights, run with 3lb dumbells in each hand, I put the treadmill on a 5.0 incline and run at max speed for 1 minute on 1 minute off, and during the minute off im throwing punches with the weights in hand. For 20 minutes 6 days a week i do this, this has made my ability increase in the ring so much soon after i started doing this, I can throw tons of punches without getting tired now, i suggest that if your running right now at a steady pace and its not doing anything for you, switch to sprint intervals it will work magic for you.

Comment

Hey danny I feel you man and lets not forget your a heavweight boxer right? It takes years to be able to go a good several rounds like pros. Try new conditioning drills every couple of weeks and mix it up to trick your lungs and body.

Comment

you gotta train for the event. Dont expect to never get tired when you only run in the morning, you gotta do anearobic and aerobic exercises.

I'm a kickboxer, i use my legs 2, that makes you so ****ing tired you will go crazy.

you need to train for the event, aerobic and anearobic, and always switch up the training routine, that way your body never adapts, and gets trained for Combat.

More wind: my idea; obviously run, and do sprints in between, stop shadowbox and try to be able to still think, and stay sharp but relaxed.
          that way you emulate the same feeling. This mixes up anearobic aerobic and the event boxing.

Also, on another exercise day, end it with anearobic, sprint 100 m 3 burpees
          sprint back 3 burpees, explode.

Mix this with your rope jumping and shadowboxing, and you will be a beast.
          At my prime kickboxing moments i did this, i could do 2 classes of kickboxing
          and bike back home 10 km ^_^.
          Those classes are designed to destroy you.

Also maybe your just 2 tense, do some flexibility exercises, helps relax the muscles more.

Comment

Road work my friend. Run at minimum 3 days a week. When I train for fights or tournaments I am usually running 5 days a week. Three three mile runs, and two five mile runs. Every so often do a full out sprint, like imbetween telephone poles.

Work your cardio in the gym as much as possible. If you are doing three rounds of shadowboxing/skip rope/bag work, make it four rounds. When you are comfertable doing that, step it up to five rounds. On the heavy bag you can do sprints as well, as well as working your technique. Three rounds of non stop, light, but fast punching. The fourth round throw nothing but bombs, every punch has to be a hard punch. After the heavy bag do some speed bag.

Comment

Are you breathing properly?

If you are not relaxed and not breathing you will gas out very fast. A lot of boxers starting out trying to just throw punches the whole round, don't be afraid to back off for a second and grab a breath and relax. Just push the guy back and move your legs for a sec.

Comment

something that has helped me a lot with endurance and breathing is SWIMMING.
                i go down to the local YMCA and do laps.

Comment

excellent feedback gentleman...thank you...

I love this site

Comment

Originally posted by VBoxer View Post
                    something that has helped me a lot with endurance and breathing is SWIMMING.
                    i go down to the local YMCA and do laps.
                    Amen, swimming is one of the best cardio exercises there is legs, arms everything. Nothing like a good ache after a load of lengths in the pool.

Comment

Working...
                    X