Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love Messi but he'll never surpass Maradona. Deal with it.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] I love Messi but he'll never surpass Maradona. Deal with it.

Gonna be lazy and c&p my posts from my FB to state why I think so -

"I love Messi but if he's being proclaimed the greatest EVER, then people shouldn't cite tactical formations or the quality of his team-mates for Argentina as an excuse for his failings. Maradona transcended formations and massively inferior team-mates. Diego was Messi, Xavi and Hagi rolled into one. IMO, Leo and Barca's perceived greatness benefits from the paucity of other great teams/players around nowadays."

"Diego played in a league with Zico, Platini, Gullit, Baresi, Careca, Riijkard FFS. Who's Messi greatest rival - Cristiano Ronaldo? A guy who can't even take players on like he used to because he's bulked up so much, and now just spends games pot-shotting mercilessly."

"I'd love to see Messi subjected to the brutal marking and lack of referee protection that Diego had. The only time he's been marked roughly by quality defenders was against Inter and we know what happened there. The amount of hyperbole in football is farcical."

"Messi WILL go down as one of the greatest players of all time and I personally thank god that he's around so we don't have to hear how CRonaldo is the best player in the world - but Messi is lucky he isn't subjected to 1980's Italian-style marking. Diego will just never be surpassed, ever. Players may getting stronger and quicker but no-one will ever have that level of breathtaking technique and finesse ever again. Watch all the vids and educate yourselves, you ignorant fools - http://www.youtube.com/wat​ch?v=1YxhpKFGZQU"

(in response to someone saying Zidane was better than both Messi and Maradona, and that "Football is a team game and Diego was a greedy ****."

"No, man. No. Firstly, Zidane wasn't even the best player of his own generation until (real) Ronaldo did his knee in. Let's not forget that when ZIdane was 25 and Ronaldo was 20, there was NO dispute over who the best player in the world was. Secondly, Zidane from his Bordeuax to his Juventus and Real Madrid days was very inconsistent. He was awesome most of the time but he could drift out of games alot of times. I actually rate Messi ahead of him on that basis, because he was sustained his brilliance since he was 17 to now. As for Diego being greedy - it's well known that Diego is ADORED by his Napoli and Argentina teammates, and if he was selfish and greedy, that wouldn't be the case. He knew how to get the best out of his individual genius within a team system - if not, how can teams like Napoli and Argentina have won anything? Sure, he kept the ball alot - but when you're the most skillful player of all time and your teammates are mediocre, that's what happens. Both ZZ and and Leo idolise Diego, and I'm sure that if you asked both if they're better than Maradona, they would say no (unlike a certain stiff Portugese wanker)."

And I made these points all BEFORE Messi's sub-par, laboured performance tonight against 10 man Uruguay.

Comment

You should of seen the first half, he was what everybody wants to see a devil!! but yeah I agree with you...

Comment

A bit early to claim that. Messi is what 23-24? Look at his accomplishments and skills so far. The man easily have ten more years ahead of him. Lets talk then.

But yeah, I think many of Messi's great skills on the field for Barcelona have as much to do with world class Xavi and Iniesta giving him superb passes and backup from the midtfield.

Comment

different eras and Diego had a pretty good N.T. when eh won the world cup. Like it was mentioned above he is only 24, so give him some time before claiming this.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Champ View Post
            A bit early to claim that. Messi is what 23-24? Look at his accomplishments and skills so far. The man easily have ten more years ahead of him. Lets talk then.

But yeah, I think many of Messi's great skills on the field for Barcelona have as much to do with world class Xavi and Iniesta giving him superb passes and backup from the midtfield.
            I don't think the current version of Messi will last for 10 more years. He's been playing since he was 17, the game is so physical now that I cannot see any way he can sustain this level even till the age of 30. Luckily, he has great technique, so when some of that pace goes, he will just become a playmaker - which he has shown signs of becoming anyway.

As for it being too early to say he won't become as good as Diego - I don't think so. But then I regard Maradona as the most gifted sportsman ever. Ever.

Messi will go down as one of the greats but he ain't topping Diego. He just doesn't look the same for Argentina. Not saying it's impossible he'll lead Argentina to a World Cup but it won't be on the level Maradona did in '86.

If you are the best ever......EVER.....you don't fall short consistently for your country (and he's probably playing for the most talented nation in the world).

Honestly, just watch these series of clips of Diego, all of them, and you will realise why Diego will never be surpassed. He possessed the sort of talent that will never be seen again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YxhpKFGZQU

Comment

Originally posted by 120 View Post
              different eras and Diego had a pretty good N.T. when eh won the world cup. Like it was mentioned above he is only 24, so give him some time before claiming this.
              Diego's Argentina was garbage compared to the level of talent Messi's Argentina has. Honestly, I've watched a couple of games of the '86 team, and they were so mediocre. Valdano was the best player after Diego and he was missing sitters left, right and centre in that tournament.

Maradona was 25 when he practically won the WC in '86 himself. Messi will break all sorts of records for Barca but something isn't clicking for him when it comes to Argentina.

And my point is....if you are the greatest of all time, as people say he is - you don't fall short and blame the formation/team mates. You transcend that, like Maradona did.

My beef isn't with Messi, I love the guy and I'm sure he himself would never say he's the greatest. I guess it just bothers me how people can so casually say Messi is the best ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazerjab View Post
                You should of seen the first half, he was what everybody wants to see a devil!! but yeah I agree with you...
                Maybe he did. But I saw the second half and extra time, and he just didn't look anything like the Messi we know.

Can the so-called greatest ever player be so dependent on his supporting cast?

Comment

Argentina is missing a true middle man, someone to control the game like Xavi in Barca. They had Veron but he's old now. Messi is doing great, people are expecting him to be the goalkeeper, pass the bal to himself and leave all the defensive linemen behind to then put an airball and headbutt it himself. I agree that he isn't at a level as expected from him but he's not being the attacker for the N.T. yet people are putting the loss on him for some reason. Argentina needs a good H.C. along with some changes(minor) to the roster, then keep on having friendlies so they can click and they will be lethal.

Now, it is foolish to call him the GOAT when he is this young still. It shouldn't be until much later when we even begin to discuss this and this is something I always argue when people start talking about it.
                  Last edited by 120; 07-16-2011, 11:09 PM.

Comment

messi is just **** without xavi or iniesta.like the other poster said they need someone like veron or someone to lift the team.personally i think pastore could end up being that guy

Comment

Working...
                    X