Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steve Bunce: 'Manuel Charr is a credible opponent for David Haye'.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Bunce: 'Manuel Charr is a credible opponent for David Haye'.

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/200329.html#

I love the idea that David Haye has come back to the ring on a mission. You're right David, it is a mission - to make a lot of money by fighting Vitali or Wladimir Klitschko next year. But those boxing 'purists' making out that the 32-year-old's return from retirement is a disaster for the heavyweight division are barking up the wrong tree.

Like many Haye fights from years gone by, this already has a 'homecoming' feel about it. It's not a homecoming - he hasn't been anywhere, except the jungle! But I don't see the fans standing back, saying "I'm not going to buy a ticket unless he fights Kubrat Pulev". People are on the phone to their pals saying "David Haye's fighting in Manchester on June 29 - let's get some tickets, we'll all go, get a couple of hotel rooms..."

The purists need to realise that the majority of the 18,000 in the arena that night will be there for a David Haye event, not a boxing match. They won't be ones sitting at home, saying "not even going to watch it - not unless he's fighting that brilliant Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev, or Robert Helenius or Odlandier Solis". That's garbage. David Haye is an event boxer, whether you like it or not - and he's still chasing that main event.

It seems to me that Haye and the Klitschkos have got a real problem with each other. At first I thought it was quite entertaining, but that was a long time ago - you've got to go back to 2008 for when they started clashing, it's been going on for five years. There was talk of fights back then, and in 2009 fights were signed that never happened.

These three have been sniping at each other, literally squaring up to each other - Vitali removed David from a restaurant back in 2008 when David arrived with a picture of himself holding up the picture of Wladimir's severed head. Vitali didn't take too kindly to that and manhandled David, who laughed it off - because that's what David does, he's good at winding people up.

We've bought into the Haye-Klitschko history here in the UK - but this is nothing compared to the Germans. It has made him a superstar over there. The Klitschkos are obviously enormous stars, capable of winning 60% of the TV audience when they box. The country stops for Vitali and Wladimir, no matter who they fight - but when they fight and Haye is in town it just goes ballistic.

What's more, he's not the villain of the piece. I've been in Germany with David twice, once when he fought Nikolai Valuev, and once when he was working as part of the commentary team for the Dereck Chisora-Vitali Klitschko fight. I watched the Germans around him. They don't hate him, they love him - whether you like him or not he's a character, and he's massive out there.

All of this incessant talk is building to what will be in 2014 possibly the richest fight to ever take place in Europe: Haye versus Klitschko.
    I spoke to Adam Booth on this weeks' podcast and the opponent for his first fight back will be formally announced in two weeks, when they come back from a warm-weather training camp in northern Cyprus. My gut feeling is that Manuel Charr ticks a lot of boxes. First, he's affordable; second, he's credible, in the sense that he has fought Vitali Klitschko for the world title in the past; and third, he's a good talker.

The place will be sold out irrespective of who he fights, but Charr would add a bit to the occasion with that lip of his - along with the fact he's a good enough fighter, if not great. In the heavyweight heyday of the 1970s Charr wouldn't even class as a sparring partner. So what? We can't keep living in the past. Right now, Manny Charr is the perfect opponent for David Haye's comeback bout.

Charr wants it:

Comment

The Polish media has been reporting that Andrew Wawrzyk (BoxRec #45) has been offered the fight.

http://www.boxingbet.pl/artykul-2830...c-z-wawrzykiem

He's an opponent who will make Haye look good and is no threat. Andrew has some skills, but he's feather-fisted and chinny.

Comment

Nope, Manuel Charr is NOT a credible opponent for Haye.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
          The Polish media has been reporting that Andrew Wawrzyk (BoxRec #45) has been offered the fight.

http://www.boxingbet.pl/artykul-2830...c-z-wawrzykiem

He's an opponent who will make Haye look good and is no threat. Andrew has some skills, but he's feather-fisted and chinny.

Really wouldn't surprise me. Charr is probably too dangerous an option for Team Hayemaker (lol).

Funny how Charr is considered a 'credible' option, when, in August 2012, Haye called him a 'bum'.

Comment

Charr is definitely (Lennox) a credible opponent. He's limited in the skill department but he's fearless and has decent hw power. However, I don't think Haye will take him as an opponent - too risky...

Comment

too risky? haha the guy is a joke. No ranked HW in contention should be fighting Charr, let alone a title holder signing him.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
                too risky? haha the guy is a joke. No ranked HW in contention should be fighting Charr, let alone a title holder signing him.
                Or Pianeta for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by yoz View Post
                  Really wouldn't surprise me. Charr is probably too dangerous an option for Team Hayemaker (lol).

Funny how Charr is considered a 'credible' option, when, in August 2012, Haye called him a 'bum'.
                  And the Klitschko haters ridiculed Vitali for fighting Charr when he was undefeated, but approve of him as an opponent for Haye. Is that a double standard?

Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
                  Nope, Manuel Charr is NOT a credible opponent for Haye.
                  At least you don't go by the double standard of some of the other Klitschko haters.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                    Charr is definitely (Lennox) a credible opponent. He's limited in the skill department but he's fearless and has decent hw power. However, I don't think Haye will take him as an opponent - too risky...
                    Kinda like Vitaly in that sense, huh?

Comment

Working...
                    X