Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had Lewis not retired would Vitali have become such a dominant force?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had Lewis not retired would Vitali have become such a dominant force?

I think he'd have defeated Vitali convincingly in a rematch and also beaten Wlad. The Klits would not have been nearly as successful..

I really enjoyed lennoxs fight with Vitali and was hoping there would be a rematch. I think lennox did get out at the right time as he was around 38.
    Could he have gone on further I would say yes but I think he made the right choice.

Comment

I'm not sure Lewis would do so well in the rematch. He was getting older and Vitali was prime. Although I do think he is a considerably better fighter.

I don't think Wlad would touch him, and I don't blame him, Lewis is in my opinion the worst possible match-up for Wlad. Maybe tied with Liston

Sooner or later though, he would retire, and the Klitschkos would be the clear favourites to take over as they did in real life. He was 38 by the time of the Vitali fight if I recall correctly. He wouldn't be around too much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
        I'm not sure Lewis would do so well in the rematch. He was getting older and Vitali was prime. Although I do think he is a considerably better fighter.

I don't think Wlad would touch him, and I don't blame him, Lewis is in my opinion the worst possible match-up for Wlad. Maybe tied with Liston

Sooner or later though, he would retire, and the Klitschkos would be the clear favourites to take over as they did in real life. He was 38 by the time of the Vitali fight if I recall correctly. He wouldn't be around too much longer
        In boxing it's not all about age per-se but the way you take care of yourself, activity, hunger, and training. Vitali is over 40 now, isn't he? And he doesn't show signs of slowing down. Hell, look at how well Foreman, Walcott, and Holmes did at advanced ages!!

Comment

At the time I thought that Vitali would win a rematch, and that would have likely ended Lewis' career. Lennox retired at exactly the right time and I admire him for that.

Comment

I think that after the first fight, if Lewis had got back into shape and was properly motivated he had more than enough left to beat Vitali again. There would be no surprise factor this time. Remember that both of the guys to beat Lewis failed miserably in the rematch. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              At the time I thought that Vitali would win a rematch, and that would have likely ended Lewis' career. Lennox retired at exactly the right time and I admire him for that.
              I agree with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
                In boxing it's not all about age per-se but the way you take care of yourself, activity, hunger, and training.
                Lewis had major problems with all of those factors. Look at the shape he was in against Vitali

Vitali is over 40 now, isn't he? And he doesn't show signs of slowing down.
                Yes he is. He looked slow and very beatable against Chisora. But Vitali is a freak when it comes to looking after himself. No drinking or partying and he keeps himself in fantastic shape.

Problem is, he, Wlad and Haye are the only ones in that division who take proper care of themselves. Vitali is a paper tiger surviving off of his reputation.
                Hell, look at how well Foreman, Walcott, and Holmes did at advanced ages!!
                Foreman took a 10 year lay-off (avoiding punishment), then had some okay wins on the way to pretty much lucking out to beat Moorer. Moorer had to be a ****wit and try knock George out.

I'm not complaining. I like Big George.

Walcott did pretty well, I'll give you that, but he was an exceptionally slick, clever, cagey fighter. Not at all like any of the other guys named.

Holmes' only good win after losing to Spinks was Ray Mercer fighting the stupidest fight he possibly could've. That's all. Competitive with Holyfield but that's mainly a styles thing.

Comment

I think lewis had lost his hunger for the game by that point, a Vitali rematch would have given some nice closure and i think if lewis came in in shape he'd have won pretty clearly but he didn't have the drive anymore by that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    Yes agreed.

I watched the Lewis vs Vitali match last week and was not impressed by Lewis, he looked old & slow. His defense was very leaky, his balance a little suspect. All that remained were his power and fighting heart.

Obviously there was quite a disparity between the Lewis that met Rahman both times. Perhaps he could have found another stellar performance against Vitali in a rematch. But Lewis is a bright fellow, he knew it was time to call it a day.......

Comment

Working...
                    X