No announcement yet.

The BoxingScene History Section Consensus Heavyweight Rankings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The BoxingScene History Section Consensus Heavyweight Rankings

A few months ago we put together an idea to at least attempt to make a Consensus All-Time Heavyweight rankings. There were 8 of us partaking in it to see how it came out. It took awhile to get everyone's list plus i was to tally them up and I was gone for abit. Anyways here it is....hopefully we can conduct an even better, more encompassing one in the near future.

8 voters

Consensus Heavyweight Rankings

1. Muhammad Ali - 65 pts
    2. Joe Louis - 62 points
    3. Jack Johnson - 36 points
    4. Lennox Lewis - 35 points
    5. Jack Dempsey - 31 points
    6. George Foreman - 21 points
    7. Mike Tyson - 19 points
    8. Rocky Marciano - 18 points
    9. Joe Frazier - 17 points
    10. Sonny Liston - 16 points

Roll Call for a new list:

I'll make the clarion call again.. anyone who wants to join in just say so here. What you'll need to do is provide a top 15 list of your all-time heavyweight rankings. When we get enough, and no one else wants to contribute, we'll tally the consensus.
    Last edited by Hawkins; 04-05-2009, 04:38 PM.

Where was Larry Holmes in the ranking? I imagine he would be very close to cracking that list. I'm actually very surprised he didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
      Where was Larry Holmes in the ranking? I imagine he would be very close to cracking that list. I'm actually very surprised he didn't.
      He would have been #12 if it went that far.

Comment

Here are the rest of the top 20.

11. Evander Holyfield - 15 points
        12. Larry Holmes - 13 points
        13. Gene Tunney - 7 points
        14. Riddick Bowe - 6 points
        15. Harry Wills - 4 points

Comment

Yeah, I'm surprised Liston made the top 10 consensus, while Holmes was left completely in the cold.

That's stunning to me. I rank Holmes at #3 on my list.

I'm also surprised that Lewis was ranked so highly (he's #10 on my list), and that Tyson even made the top 10. (I consider Mike a near-ATG, just outisde my list at #11).

Interesting stuff.

Comment

Amazing isn't it? After all this time people still underrate Larry Holmes. Holyfield being ranked that low is kind of surprising too.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
              Amazing isn't it? After all this time people still underrate Larry Holmes. Holyfield being ranked that low is kind of surprising too.

Poet
              Holmes has indeed always been underrated. I guess that's often what happens when you follow a legend in his own time. It happened after Dempsey/Tunney, Marciano, Ali and Tyson.

Holyfields acheivements is great and based solely on that he seems rated a bit low. If you, however, factor in the roids clouding his career then it's perhaps not as surprising.

Comment

Interesting.

Keep in mind everyone, that there was only 8 people taking part.

I wouldn't mind putting my list forward for the next rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by black.ink View Post
                  Interesting.

Keep in mind everyone, that there was only 8 people taking part.

I wouldn't mind putting my list forward for the next rankings.

Yea, it wasn't very encompassing as to get a more ranged opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
                    A few months ago we put together an idea to at least attempt to make a Consensus All-Time Heavyweight rankings. There were 8 of us partaking in it to see how it came out. It took awhile to get everyone's list plus i was to tally them up and I was gone for abit. Anyways here it is....hopefully we can conduct an even better, more encompassing one in the near future.

8 voters
                    ** 8 voters? Thought the purpose of this thread was to put together the BS top 10 heavy list: http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=135078

Easily a hundred lists, but apparently you chaps have your private little circle. No one wanted to bother to compile such a list because of objections raised whenever someone posted a list the little circle objected to.

Comment

Working...
                    X