Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does Roy Jones belong on theATG list?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
    maybe...*****.
    i think ima make you another sig

Comment

You must be a fan.

Comment

Roy should be ranked VERY highly. His weight drained self shouldn't count, and he is the most extreme example of some one who yoyo'd their weight and he did it at the "no-no point" of a boxing career.

49-1 before the skid, you can easily argue he won 50 straight. Hopkins, Toney, Griffin, Hill, Ruiz, Tarver, etc.

Comment

jones should've just retired after the 1st tarver fight....he was slowin down then...he dimished his legacy with those nasty kos and his lost to glenn johnson(9x loser)for sure...

Comment

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
            jones should've just retired after the 1st tarver fight....he was slowin down then...he dimished his legacy with those nasty kos and his lost to glenn johnson(9x loser)for sure...
            I don't think he diminished his legacy any more than Ali, Robinson or Leonard when they suffered losses past 35.

Comment

Judging by his standard of living (watch "MTV Cribs") he is Top 10 ATG.

Comment

Hard to say, he didn't build his resume well throughout most of his prime, and his legacy suffered more than any fighter in recent memory when he fell out of it. I tend to simply think of him as perhaps the most athletic talent in the history of boxing, and leave it at that.

Comment

Probably the most dominant fighter ever. 15 years of dominating every opponent he faced over 5 different weight classes. Thats unmatched.

Comment

If he'd have quit as planned after the first Tarver fight..........top 15 easy, maybe to ten. Before he was concussed he took hard shots......the tomato can argument?? Look at all the other ATG's. He is in a no-win situation. He beat his best competition (Hopkins,Toney) too early and despite their claims, wanted nothing to do with him until he couldn't pull the trigger........like Calzaghe.

If you look at him at his very best, he was as hard to hit as Floyd without as good a defense, more accurate and hit much harder.........

It's too bad he kept going after beating Ruiz and Tarver. At that point if he wanted to keep fighting he'd have been better off at Cruiser. But look at the first Tarver fight and the fights prior to Ruiz. There's a reflex difference and as stubborn as he was, refused to believe it.

But the fact he kept going too long isn't exactly unheard of. I'd rather have KO losses to Tarver and Johnson than, oh, say, Camacho for example.....and at MW to boot??

Dude was close to 49-1 (DQ brutally avenged by ko1) with 38 KO's going into the second Tarver fight?? He got to what should have been 50-0 as impressively as Floyd did and quicker........he was also one of the first to truly promote himself from the jump......

Go back and look at film if you haven't in awhile. I don't think anyone since Hagler even comes close. At LHW you have to go to Spinks or Foster........

I think he'll eventually get his due.........if Floyd gets KO'd by someone like Maidaina, suddenly his top 10-ish finish will be questioned too.

BTW.......Floyd agrees When asked about Jones he said "I think he'd be have finished near the top if he'd have stopped after Ruiz. But now he's probably top 30"

I'd say he's the best athlete ever in the sport, likely troubles anyone of the ATG P4P at his absolute best with very few beating him....

Tough question. No real dance partners after shutting down Toney. Floyd still has at least one and I do think if that fight doesn't happen it will hurt him in the mythical list........but both are great.

Since Ali retired, the very best fighters P4P have been Duran, Leaonard, Hagler, Hearns, Chavez, Whittaker, Toney, Jones, and Hopkins in a linear-type way......along with Floyd and Pac of course.......Ward will follow.......

Comment

Working...
                    X