No announcement yet.

American Boxers claiming countries other than USA

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Golden Boi 360 View Post
    What do you guys make of this? What do you think it means?

It means nothing.

The USA (what you should be calling what you call "america") is a nation made up of immigrants, who often are as attached to their origins if not moreso than loyalist sentiments towards the USA.

I am an amateur boxer and I am a first generation estadounidense, and I would represent Colombia before the USA if I turned pro, if i'm keeping i 100 like a C-note, and i'm also a US Army veteran who did tours in Iraq and the Ghan.

How do you like dem apples?

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Boi 360 View Post
      Seems like GGG is pandering with all the "Mexican Style" crap.

I never liked this "Mexican Style" saying too much. It generalizes Mexican boxers as these plodding brawlers. JMM and Canelo are some that don't fit that mold.
      Yeah coming out to Mariachi Music and also stuff like this:

It is being done because those are the best Fight Fans in America plus he fights in Los Angeles the population is majority Mexican so yeah he panders to that crowd. I don't know many Mexicans who are offended by what GGG does though
      Last edited by sicko; 12-03-2016, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Rocky Balboa, the Italian Stallion.

Comment

It's always the Mexican-American fighters. Puerto Rican American sometimes too. But it's mainly the Mexican-American.

It's embarrassing because it's just pandering. They have little ties to Mexican culture. They don't listen to Vicente Fernandez, yet they choose his music as their entrance song to pander. They're not keeping it real.

You're an American. You pay taxes in America not Mexico.

Comment

What bothers me about this is when fighters start representing a country only when it's convenient to them.

For example, when did you ever see Garcia sporting a Puerto Rican flag prior to the Morales fight?

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
              What bothers me about this is when fighters start representing a country only when it's convenient to them.

For example, when did you ever see Garcia sporting a Puerto Rican flag prior to the Morales fight?

Ricans are US citizens so its as if wearing a Texas or NY state flag. Not a contradiction.

In many cases like Vargas, he was officially "registered" as an American fighter despite all the Mexican pride chest thumping and that's what matters. They aren't representing another country rather emphasizing their heritage.

The only one that comes to mind is Nonito Donaire who has been in US since early teens yet represents and is officially a Filipino boxer
              Last edited by Box-Office; 12-03-2016, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Box-Office View Post
                Ricans are US citizens so its as if wearing a Texas or NY state flag. Not a contradiction.

In many cases like Vargas, he was officially "registered" as an American fighter despite all the Mexican pride chest thumping and that's what matters. They aren't representing another country rather emphasizing their heritage.

The only one that comes to mind is Nonito Donaire who has been in US since early teens yet represents and is officially a Filipino boxer
                No need for smartass answers. You know what the point of my post was. So, Cotto should start wearing an American flag?

Comment

Beat me to it. The only one that stood out to me was Garcia with the PR thing. Not a different 'country' but for a Philly boy to be waiving the PR flag when his only relationship to PR is genetics, it's pretty phony, IMO.
                  I don't really care all that much, it just jumps out as being corny and pandering.

Comment

Only a Trump supporter would think like that dumb b**ch and that punk Spence, . Just because they're culture-less scum they want everybody else to be too.

Comment

Does it really matter? I mean he's only reppin his heritage. I'm sure growing up in Philly Garcia has always identified himself as a Rican.

Comment

Working...
                      X