No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin: The Lost Art Of Shifting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
    Cool video, thanks for sharing. Didn't know Dempsey had a boxing manual.
    He has two actually but the other one is more rare. Championship Fighting is excellent.

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
    It's not a lost art at all, and is still actually very common. What is lost a little maybe is how well people use it rather than just using it as a crutch for bad footwork and balance. As has been said, a lot of guys that do it simply do so out of being off balance and missing shots, while others, as the Jacobs, GGG, vids show clearly.

I remember an article with Freddie Brown talking about Duran loving this technique and using it a lot to get better angles on his opponents, and to set up a left hand to the body a lot. Very practiced technique, and not done out of bad footwork/balance at all. Maybe it was Arcel...pretty sure it was Brown.

But saying it's only bad footwork is silly. It can be when it's used poorly, but that's the same with anything. The uppercut when used properly is brutal, but it's also very dangerous and easily countered when used poorly, at the wrong time and at the wrong distance. It needs to be done properly.
    You wouldn't happen to have the article or remember which newspaper or publication it was from would you?

Originally posted by pigsfly View Post
    it's because it's not a lost art you ****ing senseless moron. questionable technique (depending on who's using it) has nothing to do with A lost art. too many fighters to count use that so what makes it such lost art? left hand to the body is a lost art, the bolo punch is a lost art. jab to the body is a lost art...............

When a legendary trainer or boxer like Manny Stewart and Roy Jones can't identify a double shift move i think its fair to classify the technique as being lost or forgotten.

I could find a video of a bar fight showing a guy turn his back to his opponent but i wouldn't then try claiming he utilized a shoulder roll.

Any any untrained person will do this when they no longer want to get hit and essentially they're performing a shoulder roll but poor balance along with the fact they have no idea what they're actually doing causes them to bring their foot with them which results in turning their back to the opponent.

That's not a shoulder roll and falling off balance isn't shifting.
    Last edited by Mikhnienko; 08-10-2014, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkanyamba View Post
      The art of shifting....or the lost art of knocking over some mailboxes and trash cans and getting a highlight reel on HBO?
      I'm guessing Showtime would do that kind of a highlight..Considering the shyt card they put up today...

Comment

dmitry pirog was the shiftmaster

Comment

Pretty muchteh way Pirog killed Jacobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Peach View Post
            Words out of my mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Peach View Post
              Yeah. He was in a constant shift. Interesting. A shame what his career has become.

Comment

shawn porter did this when he wrecked paulie with that hook. i think i've seen Shane Mosely do it against margarito as well. Very interesting i'm gonna look more into this lost art.

Comment

Is it popular with the Eastern Euro school? Korobov does it a fair amount too.... I really liked that second KD of Uzcategui

Comment

Lookin gat the uzcategui KD's now... both were from Korobov shifting... the second one was the best one though

Comment

Working...
                    X