No announcement yet.

Cotto To Vacate Belt If WBO Keeps Pushing For A Title Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Animalistic 3.0 View Post
    Williams or Mosley? Mosley was the bigger money/legacy fight. Williams lost the next year vs Quintana.
    Wrong. The fight between Williams and Cotto at that time would've crowned a linear champ. Williams got his number two position back in the rankings by thumping Quintana in the rematch and if your boy wouldn't have been beaten like he stole something by Paul's left overs we could've seen that fight happen if Kneeguel had the balls to fight him. The Mosley fight was strictly for money even though it got Cotto a HOF fighter on his resume.

Comment

Just saw it on the news here. I think Cotto should just do it and throw that WBO belt on the trash can!
      section 15 of the wbo means, that if cotto vacates the title pac can still have a shot at it as long pac pays the sanctioning fee. if pac wins, he will be crowned the new wbo world champ, if cotto wins, title will get vacated. its a no win situation for cotto if doesnt want to defend his belt. uncle bob is willing to pay the fees so theres no reason for him not to defend

Comment

WTF, i thought this issue is solved already

Comment

The WBO WW belt is up for grabs together with the diamond belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Iceta View Post
            Wrong. The fight between Williams and Cotto at that time would've crowned a linear champ. Williams got his number two position back in the rankings by thumping Quintana in the rematch and if your boy wouldn't have been beaten like he stole something by Paul's left overs we could've seen that fight happen if Kneeguel had the balls to fight him. The Mosley fight was strictly for money even though it got Cotto a HOF fighter on his resume.
            You idiot this fight was talk for 2007 and Mayweather was the lineal champion at the time. It all started when Willliams beat Margarito (It was supposed to be Cotto vs Margarito later that year but Margarito decided to defend the belt insted and lost vs Williams) So Cotto was left with the option of facing Mosley or Williams. Mosley was the bigger name and bring more money/legacy at the time.

Get your facts right.

Comment

You idiot this fight was talk for 2007 and Mayweather was the lineal champion at the time. It all started when Willliams beat Margarito (It was supposed to be Cotto vs Margarito later that year but Margarito decided to defend the belt insted and lost vs Williams) So Cotto was left with the option of facing Mosley or Williams. Mosley was the bigger name and bring more money/legacy at the time.

Get your facts right.
              I'm not arguing about the fact that it may have brought more money. But how could it have been a bigger legacy fight when Williams was ranked higher than Mosley at the time? No disrespect to Mosley, he's a great fighter too. But do you see of how he turned down a multi million dollar payday to get in the ring with Williams? It was $3 million to be exact. That's the same amount that he has to split down the middle with Berto. So don't say that Williams brings no money to the table. And I know that Margarito turned down the Cotto fight to get beat by Williams. But that's a moot point when Cotto went on to fight Margarito anyway when Margarito had yet to avenge his loss to Williams.
              Last edited by Iceta; 08-14-2009, 08:23 PM.

Comment

If I was Cotto I would be pissed off aswell. It's a principle thing, they ( Pacquiao's camp) want everything. The fight to be at WW, the bigger piece of the pie and the belt. If they want the belt the fight should at least take place at 147lbs.

Because of all this bull**** I will be rooting for Cotto. I really have nothing against Pacquiao but I just don't like how this fight has been formed.

Comment

Just saw it on the news here. I think Cotto should just do it and throw that WBO belt on the trash can!
                  Maybe you saw old news. Pacquiao and Cotto had just signed an official contract this week and Pac would not have signed if the WBO belt wasn`t on the line. But if Cotto drops the belt, it does not violate their contract though, because there would then be no title to defend and the contract regarding this issued would then be not applicable.

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderWolf View Post
                    Maybe you saw old news. Pacquiao and Cotto had just signed an official contract this week and Pac would not have signed if the WBO belt wasn`t on the line. But if Cotto drops the belt, it does not violate their contract though, because there would then be no title to defend and the contract regarding this issued would then be not applicable.
                    Nope it was on the Live TV news show. Cotto says he is interested in fighting for the Dimond Belt and if WBO keeps pushing for a title fight he will vacate.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
                      omg just stfu already about the damn belt. Cotto can vacate and it the fight will still be for the WBO belt cotto doesn't have a choice in the matter so it will be a symbolic act if anything, which isn't proving much since it was a vacant belt cotto picked up in the first place, get over it.
                      He never shuts up period.

Comment

Working...
                      X