Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A look at Rocky Marciano

Here's an article I put together on Rocky Marciano and his style of combat:

http://a-neutral-corner.blogspot.ca/...henomenon.html

If you're looking for a way to beat the summer heat, use this as a mediocre excuse and stay indoors for a few minutes :-)

Originally posted by Verbal_Jab View Post
    Here's an article I put together on Rocky Marciano and his style of combat:

http://a-neutral-corner.blogspot.ca/...henomenon.html

If you're looking for a way to beat the summer heat, use this as a mediocre excuse and stay indoors for a few minutes :-)

Very good Jay!

They always say that Rocky, Tunney and Lewis are the only Heavyweight Champions to beat every opponent they ever faced. Actually Lewis did but not Tunney. Tunney had an official draw with Tommy Gavigan and a NC fight against Jack Renault, and that is not counting a few newspaper draws. Also, Riddick Bowe came close But he also had a NC bout against Buster Mathis Jr. The only other Heavyweight Champion to beat every opponent they ever faced was Ingemar Johansson.

One thing that Rocky stated on his TV show "Main Event" was that he never liked fighting on the inside as he needed room to throw his punches.

Comment

That's a nice detail about his preference to stay outside. I never heard that, but it makes sense. I noticed he only clinched if he was close enough after throwing one of his own and didn't want to get countered. I guess it was more a defensive measure, and then he'd buy his time and rough them up on the inside until they were separated again.

I never saw that show, will have to try to dig it up online somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Verbal_Jab View Post
        That's a nice detail about his preference to stay outside. I never heard that, but it makes sense. I noticed he only clinched if he was close enough after throwing one of his own and didn't want to get countered. I guess it was more a defensive measure, and then he'd buy his time and rough them up on the inside until they were separated again.

I never saw that show, will have to try to dig it up online somewhere.
        I believe there approx 30 shows that Rocky had. I taped most if not all of them. You can find a lot of them on youtube.

Comment

Didn't check it out but will always support all things Marciano, the greatest ever. A machine that would maul you inside, a lion that would not take no for an answer, poetry through violence. One of the finest champs there ever was.

Comment

I wouldn't rate him as the Greatest Heavyweight ever but he did very well.

Comment

good read, some nice inside on how rocky fought
              thank you

Comment

Working...
              X