Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Blonde View Post
    I wouldn't disagree. Some of their boxing skills are awful

Comment

Main weapons of humans are their fists, they are evolved to punch and take a punch in the face. Kicking and wrestling are stupid stuff. When two people box, you tell em "you can fight but you will only use your best".
      When you kick you are off balance and can easily be countered with a punch and go down, when trying to wrestle you can get hit by a punch most likely but it doesn't happen in MMa since they don't use their punches like boxers do.

Comment

Some fair points made here. Some just plain ignorant. I agree that it's going to be harder for a MMArtist to transition to Boxing. Boxing is more pure and years are spent perfecting the craft (punching). MMArtists train in many facets of the fight game that transitioning to Boxing on an elite level would be VERY difficult (if possible). However, some of you need to chill with thinking that MMA is really simple and has a low quality of athletes (which is already stupid to say when many of them are coming from different martial art backgrounds).

What Tyson Fury said is also stupid. Might as well have people say:
        "MMA is for people who can't do Judo."
        "MMA is for people who can't cut it in Muay Thai."
        "MMA is for people who can't cut it in [insert other martial art competition here]."

Two different sports. No surprise a Mixed Martial Artist will rarely (if ever) find huge success transitioning to Boxing (hell, even pure BJJ, kickboxing, Wushu, etc. for that matter). But that doesn't make MMArtists bums. The whole "people do MMA because they can't hack it in Boxing" is an old, ignorant argument. What about the MMArtists that never had a Boxing career? Or do you assume that Boxing is ALL pro fighters' first choice and what they should strive for? Gtfoh.

And for those who say MMA is just "dudes wrestling their crotches in each others faces"... What about boxing's "hugfests" and/or "marathons"? A lot of the same people who are ready to defend those things by saying "Y'all are ignorant, you just don't see the technique and science of it all" will be hypocrites and turnaround and call the grappling "crotch play and man-humping" while staying close-minded to the fact that they're just applying their techniques, too. Abundant clinching and backpedaling in Boxing are no better that lay'n'prayings in MMA.

I agree that MMA Striking isn't as on par as with Elite Boxing, that just goes back to what's already been said. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean all striking in MMA is amateur, and for those who think that clearly haven't watched the sport enough. They are in there worrying about other methods of offense of their opponents. A major reason why Boxers are superior punchers is because they don't go in their training and/or fighting, worrying about kicks, knees, elbows, takedowns, and backfists.

As far as personal preferences go, it's fine that everybody has theirs. I enjoy both sports and can watch them long after the casuals move onto something else. But some of the criticisms here are just baffling and lack substance.

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post

Cain was getting tagged by a WWE actor who had been an mma fighter for two days in Lesnar.

A modern day Goliath/Achilles in Fury would take his soul.
        ...yet Cain won that fight and took the belt.

As far as Fury vs Cain. Hey, I like Fury's chances in a BOXING ring. Outside of it...well it's HIS soul he should worry about.

Comment

Love both sports. However, if comparing the two it would be more accurate to say boxer is for people who can't fight. If Conor McGregor and Terrance Crawford meet in a dark alley... bad bad news for Crawford. He would most likely be left sleeping in the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            There isn't one good example on either side really. I see Holm as more of a martial artists than a boxer since she started her combat sports career in kickboxing. There are a ton of examples of kickboxers with success in boxing. Muay Thai guys in smaller weight divisions to. And that goes along with the simple logic thats its easier to transition to using & defending with less weapons (feet & fists) vs using & defending with more weapons for boxings (just fists). Again all else being equal talent wise in their respective craft. Overall I've seen MMA guys have a better record in boxing than I see boxers have a better record in MMA.

For the life of me I don't get how people think a transition from boxing to MMA is easier than MMA to boxing. You got too many completely new concepts you gotta learn going into MMA while you just need to focus on improving one thing you already do by going from MMA to boxing.

Yea but the problem lies in that a boxer once taken down is done unless you got a expert level sprawl. You need a wider array of skills in MMA than boxing. Sure you need deeper boxing knowledge to compete in boxing than a MMA guy is gonna have at the beginning, but its easier to focus on one thing you already do than to add a bunch of things you've never done. I just don't see how its harder to learn boxing than learn 4-5 totally new & different disciplines that you'll need to weave together offensively + defensively to be a fully functional martial artist.
            Look man I've trained and competed in both boxing and MMA. Boxing is far, far tougher to be good at because your standard top amateur has been training since he was a toddler..

Comment

Originally posted by BWC View Post
              Look man I've trained and competed in both boxing and MMA.
              That has nothing to do with nothing.

Boxing is far, far tougher to be good
              I'm not even sure what "being good" means exactly in the context of what I'm talking about. But yea obviously if you are only training in one discipline you're gonna need a higher skill level to compete vs guys training in only that one discipline too.

Comment

hes not wrong. All the so called classic MMA fights are when they are stood up and trading punches and kicks, and all the **** ones are where they are wrestling on the ground. So basically noones actually a fan of MMA, they are a fan of boxing/kickboxing/muay thai

Comment

Boxing is for people who were too poor too afford other training.

Boxing is for people who can't Grapple.

Boxing is for people who can't do anything else but punch.

Comment

Originally posted by VicariousVice View Post
                    Boxing is for people who were too poor too afford other training.

Boxing is for people who can't Grapple.

Boxing is for people who can't do anything else but punch.
                    I could afford both and have been loyal to boxing for many years.

I was pretty adept at grappling and still have great take down defense. Still chose boxing.

Boxing is for people who realize the depth of boxing and difficulty involved to succeed at the highest level is astonishing and marvelous - and even more-so when you realize, it's only punches. And at the same time it isn't. There is so much more to boxing than punching, to say it's only punching is to show your lack of knowledge of the sport. That's like saying basketball is only making shots.

Comment

• Fury speaking cold truths again.

Comment

Working...
                      X