No announcement yet.

Curious about Staredowns after introductions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious about Staredowns after introductions

This has gotten me curious for the longest time, how come there are some boxers when the referee is discussing the rules before the fight begins to where one fighter won't look at the other fighter in the eyes and will keep looking down? I know its not due to fear(Martinez, Pacquiao, Tyson and a few others have done it)...I wonder why.

What do you guys think? Just getting their mind in the right zone prior to the match?

I think some fighters are just not into that. Maybe they don't want to give their opponents a chance to "get the mental edge" during the staredown or something.

Tyson rarely got into that, but the McNeeley one was an exception and a funny one. I would see other instances when Tyson stare the hell out of opponents at a press conference, and then not even bother with it during the pre-fight instructions. Maybe he was just too focused on the fight to care about that.

De La Hoya said he looked up to pay respects to his mother. I remember reading in an article that many felt DLH was just not comfortable with that pre-fight staredown stuff, but he looked comfortable doing it against Vargas.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSlickster View Post
      This has gotten me curious for the longest time, how come there are some boxers when the referee is discussing the rules before the fight begins to where one fighter won't look at the other fighter in the eyes and will keep looking down? I know its not due to fear(Martinez, Pacquiao, Tyson and a few others have done it)...I wonder why.

What do you guys think? Just getting their mind in the right zone prior to the match?

Comment

^^Awesome movie btw! Got it last week. That guy with the googly eyes, he was def scared(Especially when he was looking at Tyson pumping up). Eventho the guy was eye to eye with him, He was trying too hard to not back down. Was also shocked when Tyson admitted he was scared each time he was leaving the dressing room. The look Tommy Hearns gave Roberto Duran was the most intimidating look i'd ever seen. lol.

I think some fighters are just not into that. Maybe they don't want to give their opponents a chance to "get the mental edge" during the staredown or something.
        Oh yea, good point. Was funny how Pacquiao was smiling and giggling a bit when it was with Hatton and Cotto, he was completely unfazed.

Tyson rarely got into that, but the McNeeley one was an exception and a funny one. I would see other instances when Tyson stare the hell out of opponents at a press conference, and then not even bother with it during the pre-fight instructions. Maybe he was just too focused on the fight to care about that.
        Yea, Tyson would move his eyes, left and right...following McNeely, who was pacing around like an idiot LOL.The Spinks fight def summed what you meant.

De La Hoya said he looked up to pay respects to his mother. I remember reading in an article that many felt DLH was just not comfortable with that pre-fight staredown stuff, but he looked comfortable doing it against Vargas.
        That's interesting you mention that. I think he did it with Vargas was because it was personal and was the most important fight of his career at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
          Those are exceptions.

Most of the time, during the pre-fight staredown, he didn't even bother looking at his opponent.

He scared them plenty in other ways.
          Last edited by Thread Stealer; 12-18-2010, 02:26 AM.

Comment

I've read articles before about stare downs.

Some fighters believe it's best to look down or away during a stare down, since that really drains a lot of energy and adrenaline before the first round.

As long as you don't pull any gay stuff during a stare down, then you're alright:

Comment

Comment

You can know everything about a person by looking into their eyes. You could see their fears, you could see their courage, you could their his heart.

Fighters do it to remain focused I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by [KLT] Kirby View Post
                  You can know everything about a person by looking into their eyes. You could see their fears, you could see their courage, you could their his heart.

Fighters do it to remain focused I'm sure.
                  No.

I don't do it because it's just the most awkward thing ever. It's so awkward and pointless. Even so, guys like Oscar De La Hoya and the ones who "seem" afraid usually whoop their ass.

There's no such thing as getting a "mental edge" from staredowns, especially at press conferences. It's when the bell rings and the first few seconds, IMO, which decides who has the edge in the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by ILLuminato View Post
                    No.

I don't do it because it's just the most awkward thing ever. It's so awkward and pointless. Even so, guys like Oscar De La Hoya and the ones who "seem" afraid usually whoop their ass.

There's no such thing as getting a "mental edge" from staredowns, especially at press conferences. It's when the bell rings and the first few seconds, IMO, which decides who has the edge in the fight.
                    Agree with that. Staredowns are overrated.

Comment

Working...
                    X