Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Vitaly get credit for losing to a shot Lewis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    I may be mistaken as I haven't seen it yet, but didn't a doctor say this in the Klitschko documentary?
    The doctor explained how a cut technically happens in boxing (it swats the skin between the glove and the bone and rips the skin apart) but he didn't say "Vitali would have turned blind if he fought 6 more rounds, 100%". You never know what would have happened or not.

Comment

The thing is, even a slightly overweight, past prime Lewis is as good or better than any heavyweight of the past decade.

True that probably speaks to the weakness of the heavyweight division, but even that version of Lennox probably beats any Heavyweight right now.

So while I definitely understand what you're saying, he gets credit because he was extremely competitive against the best heavyweight in the past 10 years and he showed tremendous heart.

His fans do go overboard though, almost counting it as a win for Vitali. In reality it was your classic "win by losing" situation where guys who go out on their sheilds in competitive fights can better their careers even in a losing effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Superflo777 View Post
        The reason is simple, he was dominating Lewis and winning the fight until the cut happened, after that he still kept fighting like there was no tomorrow and showed true warrior's spirit. A cut like that is a case of sheer luck (for Lewis) and says nothing about the talent or skills of either fighter, it's something that happens when a punch lands on a specific spot with a specific angle and a specific power and a specific speed.

Lewis won the fight and I think he would have won on points if the fight kept going (since Vitali wouldn't be in the offense with that cut), but the whole Staples Center booing him and cheering for Vitali, plus Lennox Lewis avoiding a rematch despite having said he wanted one, shows Vitalis clear superiority in that fight.
        I hate that attitude with serious passion. It's not luck, just as a KO punch is not luck. Nothing is luck in the boxing game. It's training....years and years and years and years of it. Training.

If it was only luck, you'd think someone else would have had the 'luck' that Lewis had....right?

Maybe all the other great champions that won hard fights were just lucky....right? Training heart, experience, skill....doesn't mean anything really. It's all about luck.

You're a clearly a smart guy, so why don't you **** off and not come back to these forums ****. There's a good boy.

Comment

The doctor explained how a cut technically happens in boxing (it swats the skin between the glove and the bone and rips the skin apart) but he didn't say "Vitali would have turned blind if he fought 6 more rounds, 100%". You never know what would have happened or not.
          I get what you're saying, and you're right, but those were two bad cuts. Fights are usually stopped for far less than what Vitali suffered, and it certainly wasn't luck that led Vitali's eye looking so bad. I'm pretty sure I've heard somewhere that Vitali risked irreparable damage to his eye if that fight had been allowed to continue, maybe I'm mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            I hate that attitude with serious passion. It's not luck, just as a KO punch is not luck. Nothing is luck in the boxing game. It's training....years and years and years and years of it. Training.

If it was only luck, you'd think someone else would have had the 'luck' that Lewis had....right?

Maybe all the other great champions that won hard fights were just lucky....right? Training heart, experience, skill....doesn't mean anything really. It's all about luck.
            It is luck. You don't train a specific punch to cause a cut, you don't wait until you see you opened a cut. No matter how hard Lewis hit that punch, he wouldn't have won the fight without the cut. Look at the uppercut Lewis scored. Vitali took it and kept going. The fans don't like to see it either. They want to see a fight where two men compete until one is no longer able to keep fighting, which was definitely not the case with Vitali Klitschko. If Lewis had been able to outbox, dominate or knock out his opponent, it would have been true skill. Opening a cut is not.

I'll ignore the last sentence. Good day, mate.

Comment

The reason is simple, he was dominating Lewis and winning the fight until the cut happened, after that he still kept fighting like there was no tomorrow and showed true warrior's spirit. A cut like that is a case of sheer luck (for Lewis) and says nothing about the talent or skills of either fighter, it's something that happens when a punch lands on a specific spot with a specific angle and a specific power and a specific speed.

Lewis won the fight and I think he would have won on points if the fight kept going (since Vitali wouldn't be in the offense with that cut), but the whole Staples Center booing him and cheering for Vitali, plus Lennox Lewis avoiding a rematch despite having said he wanted one, shows Vitalis clear superiority in that fight.

Maybe all the other great champions that won hard fights were just lucky....right? Training heart, experience, skill....doesn't mean anything really. It's all about luck? Give me a break ****.

Comment

Way to go by copying your own **** and simply posting it again dude. I see how you got your 6,000 posts.

Comment

Contrary to what current boxers would have you believe, boxing isn't all about going undefeated. It's about showing who you are in the ring. Boxing is just a microcosm of life, the simplest and truest sport.

In life you don't win every battle, but if you fought hard the world's gonna notice.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    First off let me start by saying Vitaly is a very good fighter, a h2h test for any heavyweight in history. But why does he get so much credit for losing to Lennox Lewis? He showed great heart by wanting to continue like a warrior and redeemed himself in the eyes of most after quitting against Byrd. But the fact is he was sucking wind against a fat, tired and unmotivated Lewis who had been knocked cold just two years before, and while he was ahead before the stoppage Lewis was closing the gap and rocking him. So other than his heart, which should be acknowledged, why does he get so much credit for losing?

Let's keep this thread civil, no flaming please.
                    That's rich. Bored and trolling again, are you?

Why would anyone bother trying to convince someone as biased as you obviously are of anything?

And still the using the, "First of all, let me say the Klitschkos are good fighters" rhetorical trope before bashing them with the inevitable "but..." ?

And again with Lewis-Vitali, the most overcooked argument on boxing forums everywhere, no matter what side you're on.

You need some new ideas desperately.

I guess only moderators here get trolling privileges.
                    Last edited by Lucky Jim; 11-07-2011, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post

You're a clearly a smart guy, so why don't you **** off and not come back to these forums ****. There's a good boy.
                      Precisely.

Coincidentally, Vitali has these "fluke" injuries occur when he faces anybody above C-level. Funny how Obed Sullivan & Dicky Ryan or any of the other 40+ tomato cans that he's faced couldn't punch a lucky "fluke" menstruating vagina on the side of his face, or make him quit on his stool like a beyotch.

Comment

Working...
                      X