Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Marquez ducking Manny Pacquiao with this Goldenboy deal?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Marquez ducking Manny Pacquiao with this Goldenboy deal?

He acted like he wanted Pacquiao bad when all indications were that he wasn't going to get it.

Recently Bob Arum started entertaining the idea of Marquez in November, after Mosley, and Marquez goes and says that the public isn't interested in that fight?

WTF??? If the Mayweather fight isn't going down, this is the next best thing.

Originally posted by cupocity303 View Post
    He acted like he wanted Pacquiao bad when all indications were that he wasn't going to get it.

Recently Bob Arum started entertaining the idea of Marquez in November, after Mosley, and Marquez goes and says that the public isn't interested in that fight?

WTF??? If the Mayweather fight isn't going down, this is the next best thing.
    I dont think so. Maybe he feels that the Pac fight isnt going to happen and at his age he wants to do what he can to get paid now. If the offer is right from GB then i would understand.

Comment

no. marquez already beat pacquiao twice.

Comment

Originally posted by ny123 View Post
        I dont think so. Maybe he feels that the Pac fight isnt going to happen and at his age he wants to do what he can to get paid now. If the offer is right from GB then i would understand.

Maybe he feels?

What did I just say?

Bob Arum has said multiple times that the best fight after Mosley is Marquez in November? That's as good as it gets. Mosley got his opportunity the same way.

Comment

marquez ducks no man

Comment

Maybe he feels?

What did I just say?

Bob Arum has said multiple times that the best fight after Mosley is Marquez in November? That's as good as it gets. Mosley got his opportunity the same way.
            **** you ***git ass ***** who you talking to? Arum has said a lot of things before. Dont ask questions if you dont want answers.

Comment

Arum says that Pacquiao will probably fight Marquez next

March 1st, 2011

By Jim Dower: If Manny Pacquiao can get by his next opponent Shane Mosley on May 7th, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum plans on matching his fighter Pacquiao against Juan Manuel Marquez (52-5-1, 38 KO’s) in his next fight if Floyd Mayweather Jr. isn’t available to fight Pacquiao. Arum realizes that Marquez, 37, is the best option available for Pacquiao if Mayweather isn’t available to fight.

Speaking with Scoop Malinowski at *************.com, Arum said “After each fight we take a good look to see if Mayweather’s going to be available. If he is, that’s the fight we want. If he isn’t, we go to the next option. So probably the guy who would be next would be Marquez probably. [Andre] Berto isn’t doing anything for his reputation fighting junior welterweights. I mean, he’s going to beat [Victor] Ortiz but so what? And there’s nobody around that’s interesting like Marquez.”

Berto, the WBC welterweight champion, decided to fight Ortiz in April rather than fight a top welterweight. It bugs Arum that Berto has been fighting light welterweights about half the time since he captured the WBC belt in 2008. Arum would have liked to have seen Berto take on his unbeaten welterweight contender Mike Jones rather than seeing Berto look for another smaller fighter to take on.

Marquez has been looking good as of late, defeating Michael Katsidis and Juan Diaz in his last two fights. Marquez looked bad in losing to Mayweather in a 12 round decision loss in September 2009, but the fight was fought at welterweight and Mayweather had a big size and speed advantage over Marquez. None the less, the fight did well on pay-per-view, bringing in 1.4 million buys. Arum perhaps realizes that Marquez would draw a lot of Mexican fans for the PPV fight with Pacquiao and it could end up eclipsing whatever numbers the Pacquiao vs. Mosley fight brings in on May 7th.

Comment

I wouldn't say anything but I think the correct dig would be selling out not ducking.

Because that is the fight he obviously wants most, so if he is settling for cashing out with fights he doesn't really care about then I could see that.

Comment

He already priced himself out in the past. That is how fighters duck Pacquiao e.g. Floyds I want 100 million to fight Pac.

Comment

Arum says that Pacquiao will probably fight Marquez next

March 1st, 2011

By Jim Dower: If Manny Pacquiao can get by his next opponent Shane Mosley on May 7th, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum plans on matching his fighter Pacquiao against Juan Manuel Marquez (52-5-1, 38 KO’s) in his next fight if Floyd Mayweather Jr. isn’t available to fight Pacquiao. Arum realizes that Marquez, 37, is the best option available for Pacquiao if Mayweather isn’t available to fight.

Speaking with Scoop Malinowski at *************.com, Arum said “After each fight we take a good look to see if Mayweather’s going to be available. If he is, that’s the fight we want. If he isn’t, we go to the next option. So probably the guy who would be next would be Marquez probably. [Andre] Berto isn’t doing anything for his reputation fighting junior welterweights. I mean, he’s going to beat [Victor] Ortiz but so what? And there’s nobody around that’s interesting like Marquez.”

Berto, the WBC welterweight champion, decided to fight Ortiz in April rather than fight a top welterweight. It bugs Arum that Berto has been fighting light welterweights about half the time since he captured the WBC belt in 2008. Arum would have liked to have seen Berto take on his unbeaten welterweight contender Mike Jones rather than seeing Berto look for another smaller fighter to take on.

Marquez has been looking good as of late, defeating Michael Katsidis and Juan Diaz in his last two fights. Marquez looked bad in losing to Mayweather in a 12 round decision loss in September 2009, but the fight was fought at welterweight and Mayweather had a big size and speed advantage over Marquez. None the less, the fight did well on pay-per-view, bringing in 1.4 million buys. Arum perhaps realizes that Marquez would draw a lot of Mexican fans for the PPV fight with Pacquiao and it could end up eclipsing whatever numbers the Pacquiao vs. Mosley fight brings in on May 7th.

This little news, and a few weeks later Marquez turns around and sayd this:

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&o...#ixzz1IPDTklbq

Juan Manuel Marquez Discusses His Golden Boy Meeting

Posted by: Jhonny Gonzalez on 3/31/2011 .

By Jhonny Gonzalez

WBA/WBO lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez has met with Golden Boy Promotions, who are working hard to prevent the Mexican champion from leaving their company in pursuit of a third meeting with Manny Pacquiao. The pound-for-pound Filipino is promoted by Golden Boy's rival, Top Rank. Marquez says Golden Boy made a very attractive financial offer to keep him with the company. He met with company president Oscar De La Hoya and CEO Richard Schaefer. The deal is said to be a lucractive four fight package.

"They made an offer and I will review it. The outlook is better. I think that both of us are working hard. They improved the offer and as I said - I do not want to leave the company - I only want to improve the conditions and it seems that this will improve them. I will really study the situation and undoubtedly will make the best decision for this important part of my career," Marquez told Sal Rodriguez.

Marquez said that among the fights that were offered include Robert 'The Ghost' Guerrero (who must win the April 9th bout with Michael Katsidis) and a fight with Zab Judah.

"A lot has been said that if I sign with Golden Boy, the third fight with Manny Pacquiao will not happen. But I do not know if that's something that the people still want to see. Right now I'm in no hurry. I liked the offer that they gave me and I will study it. I am calm. I know that I deserve good things for everything that I have done and I am ready to continue in boxing with a firm step."

Comment

Working...
                    X