No announcement yet.

Elbow Pain, Knee Pain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elbow Pain, Knee Pain

I am a southpaw. I have had elbow pain, from boxing, for about 5 years. I have this bad habit of over extending when throwing the left hand, maybe a range issue. Also, I am sure the pain is a result of not having a firm closed fist, when throwing punches. The pain sometimes gets really bad, to where I can't even bend my arm, with respect to elbow joint. There is also a lot of cracking noise when extending and closing arm, with respect to elbow joint. The area is tender and when I apply pressure to it, there is much pain. The pain is a kind of bruising pain and sharp pain.

Next, my knee pain is on the right knee. I can't jump rope for more than 2-3 rounds without it starting to ache. I feel like something is rubbing against something else down there, and that's what's causing the pain. When I throw right hooks, there is pain, since I am putting my weight on that knee. I can't run more than 2-3 miles without that aching knee pain. I think it has to do with me being about 20-30 over fighting weight at the moment. Once I lose weight, the pain seems to go away. The pain is a kind of sharp pain.

Does anyone have any similar issues? What are the issues called, medical terms. What specific parts of the body are involved? Is there preventative measures like stretches, exercises, braces, taping.

I've had something very similar to the kness and it was called patello-femoral syndrome.
    Basically the rotula isn't moving the right way in the knee. Your best bet is to go see a physiotherapist. He can help with your elbow pain too. A physioterapist can diagnose almost everything bone,tendon and muscle related and then gives you exercises to strenghten the area where your hurt to have more support. That's what he did for my knees (both of them had the syndrome couldn't run at all) and in a month and an half it was almost 100% back. Had alot more balance too.

Has for the elbow, punching in a straight line as if your elbow was in a tunnel and snaping the punch at the end of it's motion prevents overextending.

That is my opinion, could be wrong or right, just trying to help!

Dan
    Last edited by Madan; 01-15-2014, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Madan View Post
      I've had something very similar to the kness and it was called patello-femoral syndrome.
      Basically the rotula isn't moving the right way in the knee. Your best bet is to go see a physiotherapist. He can help with your elbow pain too. A physioterapist can diagnose almost everything bone,tendon and muscle related and then gives you exercises to strenghten the area where your hurt to have more support. That's what he did for my knees (both of them had the syndrome couldn't run at all) and in a month and an half it was almost 100% back.

Has for the elbow, punching in a straight line as if your elbow was in a tunnel and snaping the punch at the end of it's motion prevents overextending.

That is my opinion, could be wrong or right, just trying to help!

Dan
      Great! Thanks for the advice. A doctor told me to do exercises to strengthen the right knee. Personally, it does feel week. I don't know if it's because I am left handed and left-legged. That's great about your knees improving, too.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman0811 View Post
        I am a southpaw. I have had elbow pain, from boxing, for about 5 years. I have this bad habit of over extending when throwing the left hand, maybe a range issue. Also, I am sure the pain is a result of not having a firm closed fist, when throwing punches. The pain sometimes gets really bad, to where I can't even bend my arm, with respect to elbow joint. There is also a lot of cracking noise when extending and closing arm, with respect to elbow joint. The area is tender and when I apply pressure to it, there is much pain. The pain is a kind of bruising pain and sharp pain.

Next, my knee pain is on the right knee. I can't jump rope for more than 2-3 rounds without it starting to ache. I feel like something is rubbing against something else down there, and that's what's causing the pain. When I throw right hooks, there is pain, since I am putting my weight on that knee. I can't run more than 2-3 miles without that aching knee pain. I think it has to do with me being about 20-30 over fighting weight at the moment. Once I lose weight, the pain seems to go away. The pain is a kind of sharp pain.

Does anyone have any similar issues? What are the issues called, medical terms. What specific parts of the body are involved? Is there preventative measures like stretches, exercises, braces, taping.
        Here are a few options not sure if you need to get an MRI and possible get a scope...
        TRI Flex from GNC with a fish oil should help with the joints..

I have had knee surgery and the combo is the best....

Also 20 mins ice on top of knee and back of knee... Do this 2-3 times a day.....Also right after you take the ice of elevate it... Google the RICE Technique...

Also ice the elbows and work on not overextending. Anyways thats it if youre hurting take some time off and recover with the ice, hot tub, sauna, bike,pool, and yoga... Trust me on this... hope it helps later

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Erm View Post
          Here are a few options not sure if you need to get an MRI and possible get a scope...
          TRI Flex from GNC with a fish oil should help with the joints..

I have had knee surgery and the combo is the best....

Also 20 mins ice on top of knee and back of knee... Do this 2-3 times a day.....Also right after you take the ice of elevate it... Google the RICE Technique...

Also ice the elbows and work on not overextending. Anyways thats it if youre hurting take some time off and recover with the ice, hot tub, sauna, bike,pool, and yoga... Trust me on this... hope it helps later
          Thanks, bro. I will start taking some multi-vitamins and also some supplements you recommended. I've tried shark cartilage, but not extensively. I've had MRI on knee, but the doctor didn't see anything wrong, except maybe a minor tear, I think. I will try the icing.

Honestly, I worked out at gym today and felt pretty good, except for some elbow pain again, overextended again. I need to work on correct distance. As far as knee, I noticed it helped to do some squats in between rounds of jumping rope. So, I'm gonna try to incorporate some leg strengthening into boxing gym routine. Only body weight stuff, though. I try to keep it old-school.

Comment

0k sounds good try all of that.....Shark Cartilage doesn't work in my opinion if its giving you good results keep on taking it... Also I had 3 MRI's nothing showed up and then i complained so much i got a scope which turned in a 3 hour surgery mcl tear and all this other **** it was bad... Long rehab but nothing came up on the MRI.... I was in legit pain though it sounds like this isn't you re case. You are still training at a good rate.. that's about it keep me updated.

Comment

the first step in addressing any overuse injury is to decrease the demand. from the sound of it, you overtrained. i am not a doctor, obviously, but i've got plenty of experience with being overtrained
              my entire youth was overtraining. during the school year i practiced, and in the summer i worked.

you need a break, and probably a long one. two weeks should be the absolute minimum, and you ought to think about taking much more time off than that. the older you get, the longer you need to recover. the bigger you get, the longer it will take for your lower body injuries to heal.

i'd be more worried about your knee than your elbow. one of the best things for you is losing some weight, which you mentioned.

the next step in addition to the rest is to see if there's any real structural damage, especially with your knee. as others have pointed out, structural damage to the knee often involves some swelling, and a traumatic event [a fall, crash, hit, etc.] your doctor would go through some tests to access the strength and the stability of your knee. he'll essentially move it around to test the major ligaments / tendons.

after that you'll probably be sent for an X ray, or perhaps even an MRI. hopefully there's nothing structurally wrong with it that shows up, and you can get relief with a rest.

another great option, and a place where you'll get much more involved treatment, is physical therapy. i had some knee problems in my mid 20's, and the doctors that i saw were of almost no help. all they provided me was the imaging. a physical therapist will look into your issues with much greater detail, and provide help if surgery and medicines aren't an option.

also, start stretching. the knee is strange. it can become deformed if you're not stretching and working out all of the muscles around it.

good luck. knee problems are no joke. i wish somebody had told me in childhood to take better care of my knees. you don't hear about people with an elbow replacement in their 40's the way you do with knees.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                the first step in addressing any overuse injury is to decrease the demand. from the sound of it, you overtrained. i am not a doctor, obviously, but i've got plenty of experience with being overtrained
                my entire youth was overtraining. during the school year i practiced, and in the summer i worked.

you need a break, and probably a long one. two weeks should be the absolute minimum, and you ought to think about taking much more time off than that. the older you get, the longer you need to recover. the bigger you get, the longer it will take for your lower body injuries to heal.

i'd be more worried about your knee than your elbow. one of the best things for you is losing some weight, which you mentioned.

the next step in addition to the rest is to see if there's any real structural damage, especially with your knee. as others have pointed out, structural damage to the knee often involves some swelling, and a traumatic event [a fall, crash, hit, etc.] your doctor would go through some tests to access the strength and the stability of your knee. he'll essentially move it around to test the major ligaments / tendons.

after that you'll probably be sent for an X ray, or perhaps even an MRI. hopefully there's nothing structurally wrong with it that shows up, and you can get relief with a rest.

another great option, and a place where you'll get much more involved treatment, is physical therapy. i had some knee problems in my mid 20's, and the doctors that i saw were of almost no help. all they provided me was the imaging. a physical therapist will look into your issues with much greater detail, and provide help if surgery and medicines aren't an option.

also, start stretching. the knee is strange. it can become deformed if you're not stretching and working out all of the muscles around it.

good luck. knee problems are no joke. i wish somebody had told me in childhood to take better care of my knees. you don't hear about people with an elbow replacement in their 40's the way you do with knees.
                Thanks for the advice. Honestly, I feel like the knee felt better with just doing a few squats before the rope jumping. I think its just a matter of strengthening and stretching before running, jumping rope. The doctors did some of the knee tests and they said everything seemed fine.

However, I will say the elbow worries me a lot more. Since the pain has been there 5 years without it ever going away. The knee pain only comes after running, jumping rope. Elbow pain gets really bad after re aggravating in boxing. Like I said I hear a lot of crackling noise when I try to extend arm out or bring it toward shoulder.

Comment

Working...
                X