No announcement yet.

Measured Against All Time - Joe Calzaghe

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
    RJ doesn't really rate for this decade. The 90s he had his case, but I always felt the Ring groups rating of Whitaker over Jones made more sense than the BWWA's selection of Jones. Either way, that was the 90s race.

Calzaghe has fighter of this decade? Probably not, but it depends on what, if anything, he does in the last two years of this decade. A win over Dawson would further him. Right now, I'd rate it Manny, Floyd, Hopkins, and Cal though if Kessler can take and win some big fights that win could get much bigger.

Now, the point I make and the one that seals it for Joe in my mind is what he got done at 68. Fact is, he'll be in arguments about best ever there as long as the class exists. That matters, because it will exist for years to come. He doesn't have to be greater than any of the handful of fighters in front of him in his time to still be great. It's not mutually exclusive.
    Another Calzaghe pickle kisser waiting for Kessler "the nobody" to do something. Please, hold your breath....

Comment

Nice article bro,maybe i do not give Zags the credit he deserves.

Comment

Great article, very fair and balanced. I feel his unique style should have been talked about though. It was one of the more difficult styles to face in the history of the sport and makes him a head to head monster vs anyone

Comment

I respect Cliff's opinion, and his entire ATG is well done, but this is just more evidence of a coordinated conspiracy to fabricate a boxing icon. Joe Calzaghe, no matter how much these folks repeat it, is NOWHERE NEAR AN ATG FIGHTER. Fighting Roy Jones Jr. and Bernard Hopkins at 70 yrs old apiece are his greatest achievements. Not far down that list is Jeff "****ing" Lacy!. If you gotta mention Jeff Lacy on your ATG resume, you are NOT a ****ing ATG!! Stop the madness!!!

Comment

still waiting for cliff to come out and admit the truth that he was on a drunken bender when he wrote this.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
              Well, he did say 'While it shouldn't matter'. I'm quite positive that he actually meant "Even though Calzaghe is only three years younger, everything still points to him still beating Jones because he is not shot like Jones is", ya know?

Anyway, I thought it was a great article Cliff. Good stuff. I also agree completely. The simple fact is that it is freakishly rare for anyone, no matter how bad some of the competition is, to achieve what Calzaghe achieved. Very, very rare. Like it or not, he also fought many good fighters and many world champions, both current, former and future. He's a stunning boxer that should most definitely be rated as one of the best of the modern era fighters ever.
              Floyd fought everyone and whywon so is he taintrd when he beat better guys Cal fought bums and over the hill guy s that just how it is

Comment

A legendary career, however much that upsets people on here. Whatever style Joe was presented with, he'd work them out and that's why he remained undefeated and the king of the division for all them years.

Comment

His wbo reign was very fake but once he won lacys title in 2004 he made a good defence against SMW novice bika followed by a very good kessler unification. Sadly he left the scene immediately, likely to avoid losses, so we never got to judge how well he would do making multiple valid defences like froch kessler and ward managed.
                  Last edited by DreamFighter; 08-18-2019, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X