Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Significant decline in world titles held by Americans?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Significant decline in world titles held by Americans?

With Kelly Pavlik losing the WBO, WBC, and Ring titles last night, the US is now down to only 7 US-born world titleholders with a total of 8 world titles (I'm not counting the interims such as the belt held by Dawson).

Other countries such as the Philippines, Argentina, Russia, Ukraine, Germany, Mexico and the UK are catching up.

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Ca...y_Weight_Class

The excuse for heavyweights is "all the big men are in the NBA", but what about middleweight, flyweight, bantamweight, etc?

This doesn't even cross my mind and I'm happy it doesn't. Why does this matter?

Comment

Doesn't surprise me and doesn't bother me at all. As long as a fighter is good I will watch him no matter where he is from.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Lavigne View Post
        With Kelly Pavlik losing the WBO, WBC, and Ring titles last night, the US is now down to only 7 US-born world titleholders with a total of 8 world titles (I'm not counting the interims such as the belt held by Dawson).

Other countries such as the Philippines, Argentina, Russia, Ukraine, Germany, Mexico and the UK are catching up.

The excuse for heavyweights is "all the big men are in the NBA", but what about middleweight, flyweight, bantamweight, etc?
        them n*ggas is playing water polo and swimming with Michael phelps

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Lavigne View Post

Quality over quantity is better.Most of these foreign belt holders are overhyped boxers who only fight tomato cans.

Comment

And how many top 5 guys do they have in each division from jww-cruiser? So what if you don't have a belt, they are pointless and only 1 person can be the top dog in each division. America is doing fine, you can manipulate things however you want and make yourself feel better even though it's wrong. When will Marco Huck give Steve Cunningham a rematch and take another ass beating? Also, whens the last time America was great at batam or flyweight? Vilora not so long ago was looked at as the best fighter though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ekscape View Post
              them n*ggas is playing water polo and swimming with Michael phelps
              lmao...this made me laugh odee hard, reps.

Comment

Couldn't care less tbh, all I want is exciting fights!

Comment

Originally posted by Imhotep View Post
                  Quality over quantity is better.Most of these foreign belt holders are overhyped boxers who only fight tomato cans.
                  What about American boxers like Pavlik and Cunningham who lost their Ring belts to boxers from other countries (Martinez and Adamek)? Were they overhyped?

What if Bradley loses to Maidana, and Dawson loses to Pascal?

Reality is, there are top notch boxers from many countries, not just the USA.

Comment

This never crosses my mind. Its irrelevant. They are all boxers no matter where they are from. Who cares.

Comment

Working...
                    X