No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Holyfield: Didn’t Get Due Credit Before Beating Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toshmurph View Post
    Completely agree with Pitbull, at 14 Tyson was roughly the same physique that he was in his prime. He was just a kid with insane genetics! Now we know that he indulged in cocaine while on the decline but that's not a PED, it's the opposite.

You are right, there probably was a huge number of our favourite fighters that were on some sort of PED, but until a guy is indicted or fails a test then we have to give them the benefit of the doubt!

But we're talking about a guy who fought in his physical prime at Cruiserweight and had an athletic slender build, then moved up to Heavyweight in what people consider the athletic decline of his career and completely changed his physical build to something akin to a bodybuilder! People thought something was fishy before the Balco issue!

Combine these issues with the fact Evander was a blatantly dirty fighter I'm surprised he's praised as much as he is, I think he's fortunate to get the credit he does!
    You have lost your mind. He wasn't dirty. So are alot of guys then. It is fighting man. Floyd is dirty then too elbows to face foreman across face. Tim Bradley is dirty then. Trinidad was dirty then. B hop is dirty then wrestling holding and hitting. Come on man don't be a hater really. Mike Tyson was dirty too wrnching arms in clinches, biting.

Comment

I think that's because of how oddly beloved Tyson is. Mike Tyson is, easily, one of the most popular 'bad guys' in the history of sports and when you have people that just kind of go along with it, like Holyfield and Lennox Lewis, despite being clearly better fighters, they get overlooked. They'll never be as popular and they'll probably never feel like they got their proper credit and they'll probably be right to feel such a way.

Comment

Originally posted by PitbullParsons View Post
        Tyson up until he went to jail was the same size roughly as he was since a teen and just prior to the Douglas fight he didn't train as hard as he used to. He wouldn't even need the PEDs so I think it's safe to say he wasn't on them. Usually you get better not worse and Tyson was on a steady decline. There were drugs in his system but I don't think PEDS were on the list
        Peds would not have benefited tysons fighting style....he was already short and exposive and peds probably would have bulked him to much and hampered him more than helped him......even for endurance tyson was not a distance fighter really and his whole style was geared up to getting a quick KO .....holyfield was different he was a small heavyweight who needed to compete against the super heavies Lewis ,bowe etc ..and his physique was extremely cut and muscled and he even had problems with his heart .and retired for a bit only to say he was completely healed..so probably he had peds in him.....great fighter with a massive warrior spirit.....I was watching something about peds the other day and Evander holyfields address was linked to a company that got caught with peds...might be balco not sure.....

Comment

Originally posted by Steve plunger View Post
          Peds would not have benefited tysons fighting style....he was already short and exposive and peds probably would have bulked him to much and hampered him more than helped him......even for endurance tyson was not a distance fighter really and his whole style was geared up to getting a quick KO .....holyfield was different he was a small heavyweight who needed to compete against the super heavies Lewis ,bowe etc ..and his physique was extremely cut and muscled and he even had problems with his heart .and retired for a bit only to say he was completely healed..so probably he had peds in him.....great fighter with a massive warrior spirit.....I was watching something about peds the other day and Evander holyfields address was linked to a company that got caught with peds...might be balco not sure.....

It was addressed to Evan Fields Evander Holyfield huge difference lol

Comment

Originally posted by imperial1 View Post
            It was addressed to Evan Fields Evander Holyfield huge difference lol
            I know ....i think it was his lodger lol

Comment

Originally posted by Bram View Post
              I think that's because of how oddly beloved Tyson is. Mike Tyson is, easily, one of the most popular 'bad guys' in the history of sports and when you have people that just kind of go along with it, like Holyfield and Lennox Lewis, despite being clearly better fighters, they get overlooked. They'll never be as popular and they'll probably never feel like they got their proper credit and they'll probably be right to feel such a way.
              It's rightly considere now that Lewis rates as one of the top 5 heavyweights of all time.....he never got much respect when he was active for most of his career it was only when towards the end people realised just what a great heavyweight he was....tyson had the hype but he was never as good as Lewis or even a smaller holyfield..

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyjaguar View Post
                There were alot of fighters who were taking as well as other athletes. So it is kind of hard for you to not credit someone. The Baseball scandal and Lance Armstrong caese kind of opened this up. How do you know Tyson wasn't taking some kind of PED. ?
                But its like achievements.....

The guy who did it, rates higher than the guy who could have done it.

I love Holyfield, and Jones/Mosley..... but you cant overlook that stuff.

Unsure how historians get on when evaluating these situations.

Comment

You're right!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve plunger View Post
                    I know ....i think it was his lodger lol
                    most likely

Comment

Working...
                    X