No announcement yet.

Where was the underrated Clottey?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where was the underrated Clottey?

Time and time again prior to this fight I said exactly what would happen in this fight, only to be told - by Pac fans - that Clottey is hugely underrated and will be Pac's toughest fight.

Where was this Clottey Pac fans were so adamant about?

Clottey was always going to be an easy fight. The one thing I will say I underestimated was just how well Clottey's defense would hold up. Pac was hitting arms and elbows for the majority of the fight - never really landing a solid punch.

I was impressed by Pac's workrate but Clottey lost this fight by doing exactly what many thought he would - hiding behind his guard for 2 and half minutes of every round. He has always struggled with high activity of the fighter in front of him. He could have beaten Pac tonight if he took risks - despite his lack of punches thrown, Pac still looked worse for wear than Clottey at the end of the fight.

Clottey fought scared tonight.

I think every fighter besides Floyd and Mosley will be intimidated by Pacquiao's presence.

Clottey lost the fight before he even got in the ring.

He was thinking about the Pacquiao that fought DLH, Hatton, and Cotto instead of thinking about the Pacquaio in front of him.

Comment

Originally posted by - JCHING - View Post
      Time and time again prior to this fight I said exactly what would happen in this fight, only to be told - by Pac fans - that Clottey is hugely underrated and will be Pac's toughest fight.

Clottey was always going to be an easy fight. The one thing I will say I underestimated was just how well Clottey's defense would hold up. Pac was hitting arms and elbows for the majority of the fight - never really landing a solid punch.

I was impressed by Pac's workrate but Clottey lost this fight by doing exactly what many thought he would - hiding behind his guard for 2 and half minutes of every round. He has always struggled with high activity of the fighter in front of him. He could have beaten Pac tonight if he took risks - despite his lack of punches thrown, Pac still looked worse for wear than Clottey at the end of the fight.
      Thats because Clottey is hella dark and you wouldn't be able to see his bumps as good but he im pretty sure he has a broken nose.

But if Clottey would have taken more chances then the shot that pac was hitting glove and elbows would have been hitting Ribs and the Chin. If he would have tried to open up more then he would have been punched way more flush so thats why he was in that gay guard the whole time so he could just survive.

Comment

Originally posted by dde91 View Post
        Thats because Clottey is hella dark and you wouldn't be able to see his bumps as good but he im pretty sure he has a broken nose.

But if Clottey would have taken more chances then the shot that pac was hitting glove and elbows would have been hitting Ribs and the Chin. If he would have tried to open up more then he would have been punched way more flush so thats why he was in that gay guard the whole time so he could just survive.
        Yeah, obviously he would have been hit more - but his chin would have held up and he could have landed more solid punches on Pac who was wide open at times.

IMO Pac looked pretty beatable tonight, but he was up against a B class fighter who always struggles with his activity, especially against guys as active as Pac.

Comment

Yeah, obviously he would have been hit more - but his chin would have held up and he could have landed more solid punches on Pac who was wide open at times.

IMO Pac looked pretty beatable tonight, but he was up against a B class fighter who always struggles with his activity, especially against guys as active as Pac.
          If he would've opened up he would've gotten KTFO/or KD/ or forced back into his shell because of taking too many flush shots.

Comment

I think everyone knew pac was going to win and everyone was aware of clottey's flaws, however with that said, most everyone, myself included, thought clottey would put up a much better fight than that. I think pac's strategy of just throwing 100 punches per round was exactly what needed to be done. Clottey can't do **** with millions of punches coming his way.

Clottey was frustrating to watch because when he did let his hands go, he did some damage, especially the uppercuts he started to land. But I guess at the same time, he probably felt if he would open up more he'd get hurt or knocked out.

It was a poor performance and he didn't' seem to trust or respect his trainer at all, basically shaking his head saying "no" when dude told him to take more chances.

Also, Clottey has never been an easy fight for anyone, which is why many thought it wouldn't be any different for pac.

Additionally I thought this fight was probably a little more difficult for pacquiao than it appeared. He put in a lot of work and it probably took an incredible amount of restraint and patience to not get completely frustrated by Clottey's tight defense.
            Last edited by ИATAS; 03-14-2010, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePunchingBag View Post
              If he would've opened up he would've gotten KTFO/or KD/ or forced back into his shell because of taking too many flush shots.
              Possibly, but I think Pac was there to be hit and Clottey could have made it close like JMM did in his fights with Pac.

As I said though, this fight was always going to be an easy one for Pacquiao and all those Pac fans who claimed otherwise were just trying to convince themselves that this wasn't another tailor made fighter.

Comment

Possibly, but I think Pac was there to be hit and Clottey could have made it close like JMM did in his fights with Pac.

As I said though, this fight was always going to be an easy one for Pacquiao and all those Pac fans who claimed otherwise were just trying to convince themselves that this wasn't another tailor made fighter.
                jmm is a way better fighter than clottey imo he can counter punch clottey has to wait for an opening then release and when he does he doesn't throw enough

he fought to survive from the very first round he would''ve been ko easily if he opened up pac was bullying him round the ring all night it unfortunately made for a boring fight

Comment

I think Mayweather is going to be even easier.

Pac might break his rib again with the kind of body shots he threw today.

That and Clottey hits harder than Floyd. So even if Floyd does hit, which would mean he would have to engage with Pac, which opens him up for Pac's own counter shots, Floyd wouldn't bother Pac much with his power.

I think Pac will overwhelm Floyd with punches and eventually break him. It'll look like Marg-Cotto.

Floyd looks like he's so incredibly evasive, but he hasn't fought anyone that could match him in speed since Judah. I think Manny will tag Floyd often enough to hurt Floyd and will make him pay for trying to counter like we saw with Clottey today.

Comment

Working...
                  X