Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"sign with Top Rank and you fight Top Rank fighters" good or bad?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    How is it not a fucking problem?

If me and you are promoters, and you have a good fighter, and I have a good fighter, and boxing fans want to see them against eachother, we can't come together and make a fight because you want my fighter to join your company and that's the only way that fight will happen, because you want all the money for you. Like you seriously see nothing wrong with that?

That's greed at it's finest. And Bob Arum is a cancer to the sport of boxing.

well yea, from rival promoters' POV its bad

as a fight fan, i dont care which promoter gets dicked...as long as i see good fights...and i dont think HBO or Showtime care either

i dont care if Shaw gets cut out of the equation...that's his problem...as long as the fight gets made

Comment

If me and you are promoters, and you have a good fighter, and I have a good fighter, and boxing fans want to see them against eachother, we can't come together and make a fight because you want my fighter to join your company and that's the only way that fight will happen, because you want all the money for you. Like you seriously see nothing wrong with that?

De La Hoya Wants To Live In A Gold-In House

Oscar wanted to do it, but he's no Bob Arum. Call it a preemptive strike. That's why Oscar was all over twitter kissing Bob's ass and trying to make peace, popped **** and apologized when he realized he was out of his league.

Boxing needs more fights and exposure and less do-nothing HBO date bookers and go-nowhere negotiations and bickering. Whoever gets that done will be like the Julius Caesar of boxing- doing away with an old, broken down, corrupt system and replacing it with a new, more efficient and effective way of doing things, even at the expense of tyranny trumping 'liberty'.

The sport needs strong central leadership to compete with Dana White and the UFC.

Comment

It's bad for the sport because it shows that promoters can not work together and in order for boxing fans to see good fights we have to wait till fighters decide to sign with a promoter which may take years. Boxing is not the UFC where there's only 1 promoter and that's Dana White, so MMA fans get to see all the good match ups they want. Bob Arum is trying to copy this, just have in-house fights, like making Top Rank a major Boxing organization when it is just a promotional company. In boxing, it will never work as it does in MMA. Promoters need to work together in boxing.

That is not true about GBP trying to do the same thing. And even if they do this, it's good for the sport because GBP will give us the match up right away, while Top Rank will "build it up" for years until you do so much building up that one fighter becomes shot and the match up is no longer that attractive as it was.

Dibella, GBP, Shaw, and Goosen all have no problem matching eachother's fighters up. Why can't Top Rank join in on the fun? Why does Arum have to be greedy with the splits and his fighters? And only wanting to promote on his own?

GBP, Dibella, Shaw, and Goosen should all just keep working together and leave Top Rank out in the cold. Let Bob Arum do his own fights in Showtime. Hopefully Bradley signs with GBP, because if he signs with Top Rank then we'll only see Bradley vs [insert Top Rank fighter].
        Actually GBP or Oscar did say they wanted to make it like the UFC. This was when Arum got pissed at that statement.
        Arum is doig what Oscar said he would do.

The article was on here but I forgot the name.

In fact I believe it was Di bella who talked about it also as a response to what was said.

Comment

I don't see much problem honestly. Top Rank can be greedy, but all last big cash cows were developed by TR and they have a right to milk their cash cows. Other promoters shouldn't complain that they are not allowed to milk TR fighters. I don't care really whether who promotes the fights and who gets the money as long as promotion is good.
          And it's not like I have a good fighter and you have a good fighter, it's about Top Rank's Pacquiao and other fighters who want a shot to Pacman fight. Bob Arum didn't force JMM, Berto and Mosley to sign Top Rank. After 3 consecutive in-house fights it was them who realised that their chances would be higher to sign for a fight under Top Rank. Mosley did it first and Arum granted him a fight.
          Last edited by Instinto; 02-09-2011, 12:51 AM.

Comment

At least Bob does a good job.

Imagine if GBP ran the show - Mosley vs Mora rematch on PVP again.

Comment

Put it this way, one greedy promoter running everything is better than multiple greedy promoters trying to run everything. It's time us fans stop caring about boxers getting ripped off and start caring about us getting all the fights we want. Mosley, Hopkins, and Marquez ditching Golden Boy was good news, and with Floyd being buddy buddy with Arum at the Super Bowl that's tremendous news.

Comment

I kind of agree with both sides

I guess as a fan it shouldn't matter how it gets done as long as it does
                but unlike most sports where a club is scheduled to play other clubs and money isn't an issue
                imagine if the Lakers and Celtics didn't play because they. Couldn't agree on venue? Yeah right. That **** would be settled in an hour
                So you have smaller and less powerful companies trying to make fighters to the next big and they can't because the bigger ones are taking a lot of the talent.
                and you can't blame the fighters because at first it IS about the money cuz you don't have none!

BUT as an a fan- whatever makes the fights happen. Don't care if its on HBO showtime univision ppv the korean channel mtv BET etc make it F.UCKIN HAPPEN

Comment

UFC = Dana White

Boxing = Bob Arum

do it...

why? (chances of boxing to have
                  - no more other greedy promoters to halt the fights we want to see. 1 greedy SOB will do just fine.
                  - boxing can have only 1 sanctioning body (no more WBC, IBF, IBO, WBA, etc).
                  - boxing can have only 1 true champion on each division (no more emeritus, super, super duper, silver, ordinary, etc.)
                  - number of divisions can be slimmed down (UFC style / old-school boxing style). who would watch a minimum weight match?... really...
                  - with 1 promoter, "ducking" will be prevented...
                  - **** HBO, get CBS instead.. bring in good fights on free tv...

just my 6 cents...

Comment

Originally posted by McFearless View Post
                    ...I didn't ask what GBP was trying to do....!
                    cause your question is dumb. it's not a matter of good or bad because gbp tried to do the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
                      cause your question is dumb. it's not a matter of good or bad because gbp tried to do the same thing.
                      1. Cause what? I didn't even ask why you didn't give an answer.

2. Even if "its not good or bad" there's still going to be a result of what's going on. You could've just given some input instead of being a jack a.ss

Not everything is in black and white

Comment

Working...
                      X