No announcement yet.

Bernard Hopkins vs. Sergio Martinez.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
    Hopkins wins without a doubt. Hopkins is one of the best if not the best middleweight in the history of boxing. 20 successful title defenses in a row. Matinez is one of the worst middleweight champions. He won the title from a Pavlic who had lost interest in boxing and fought at 50% or less than his best. Martinez was KOed by Margarito. He lost to Paul Williams and he drew with Cintron. Maybe those decisions were unfair to Martinez but Hopkins would go through Cintron and Williams like a sharp hot knife through warm butter. Prime Hopkins KOs Cintron with ease. The 50 year old Hopkins still beats Martinez easily.
    ... Ah kinda like Martinez did??

Horrible summary.

People love to downplay the Pavlik win even though Pavlik was in full can-crushing mode all the way up to the Martinez loss. Funny that Hopkins is the only other person to beat Pavlik at the time and he had to do it at a higher weight.

The Margarito KO wasn't at middleweight. He KOed Williams at Middleweight. You obviously never seen the Cintron fight at 154 as he KO'ed him there too (Horrible reffing). He kinda like, you know, went through them like a hot knife through butter.

Prime Sergio does an RJJ job on Hopkins at 160.

Comment

Originally posted by RA-Box View Post

Horrible summary.

People love to downplay the Pavlik win even though Pavlik was in full can-crushing mode all the way up to the Martinez loss. Funny that Hopkins is the only other person to beat Pavlik at the time and he had to do it at a higher weight.

The Margarito KO wasn't at middleweight. He KOed Williams at Middleweight. You obviously never seen the Cintron fight at 154 as he KO'ed him there too (Horrible reffing). He kinda like, you know, went through them like a hot knife through butter.

Hopkins is one of those guys who gets grossly overrated. He's was a good fight but let's not pretend he middleweight run was anything special, he lost to the two best fighters he faced at the division.

His most notable wins were against Trinidad and De La Hoya two welterweights.

Comment

Originally posted by RA-Box View Post

Horrible summary.

I aree i think Prime martinez (which was very very short) would have given hell to Bernard. Hopkins fight with his head more than with his fists.... He gets a pass because hes american its simple.

Comment

It's a tough question to be honest! I think the Sergio that beat Pavlik beats the 2003 MW Hopkins that beat Joppy, Taylor etc! Which is technically and tactically the best BHop IMO

But I'm not sure if he can hang with the more aggressive but less efficient Hopkins from the late 90's

But who knows, it's a great fight regardless

Comment

Originally posted by toshmurph View Post
            It's a tough question to be honest! I think the Sergio that beat Pavlik beats the 2003 MW Hopkins that beat Joppy, Taylor etc! Which is technically and tactically the best BHop IMO
            Drunkard Pavlik who was in rehab only days before the fight won like four rounds and scored a knockdown. And no a 40 year old Hopkins was not "tactically the best Bhop" he was simply older and had to throw less punches because he was old.

Comment

I think Hopkins takes this but by stoppage? Some of you are making out like Hopkins was a beastly puncher knocking out exceptional fighters. Not only do you have to look at who Hopkins stop, you also have to look at how he stopped them. Very rarely did they get taken out on their backs, it was a referee stoppage. I believe Martinez had better one punch power.

Having said that, Martinez relied on athleticism and power and unlike RJJ, he wouldn't have the size to beat Hopkins, which is what it comes down. Bhop would have been too big and crafty at the weight.

Comment

Working...
              X