Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — A Night to Stop Complaining and Enjoy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — A Night to Stop Complaining and Enjoy

by David P. Greisman - It might just have helped that this past Saturday’s “Showtime Championship Boxing” was the last major boxing broadcast for more than a month.

That is unfortunately the case, now that the Aug. 4 bout between Rafael Marquez and Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. and the Aug. 11 match between Tavoris Cloud and Jean Pascal have both been postponed due to injuries, leaving little beyond “Friday Night Fights,” a few Telefutura cards and one episode of “ShoBox” until September starts us back up with significant Sweet Science.

Yet this would prove to be fortunate on this one night, when Robert Guerrero defeated Selcuk Aydin in the main event, Shawn Porter bested Alfonso Gomez in the co-feature, and two bouts from the undercard that in the past would normally have gone unseen instead presented George Groves’ stoppage of Francisco Sierra and Hugo Centeno’s victory over Ayi Bruce.

This would prove to be fortunate because, for whatever reasons, there was little of the usual griping or sniping, little of the complaining or contempt that pervades us pundits of pugilism, us fans of fighting, us observers who just never seem to think that anything, or anyone, is good enough. [Click Here To Read More]

It was enough to stop complaining until Guerrero had to open his big mouth to tell us what happened last night was enough to beat Floyd. And then add on the boasting of 4 titles in 4 weight divisions - 2 of which were interim. It's like 2 slaps in the face. Ugh.

I won't even go into how Showtime made a disgusting Big Pharma miracle celebration go overboard. Oops. But don't get me wrong, I'm happy she's alive. But then again, compare the before and after "treatment" photos. I hope someday people will wise up that the cancer industry is a behemoth scam.
    Last edited by spoonwars; 07-30-2012, 01:27 AM.

Comment

nice article dave but don't feed us the bs. yeah it is what it is and it ain't good. we already were fooled into even accepting this as a headliner featuring the ghost againsy adyn or whoever it was that was supposed to be pretty good. NOT! as for the latest cancelations. well we are sick of it. either injuries, contract squabbles or failed drug test. all excuses as far as i am concerned. no one care about the pascal, clouds of the world. just c+rate fighters we are force fed for lack of talent. there is no way you can tell me there aren't fighters in training at the top of the rankings who are willing to step in to replace these cards that will draw more audence=$$$. i love your write up here but with all the so called recent upsets i want more fights.

Comment

I guess some people aren't really here for the boxing, they just like to cry and bi+ch and this is their preferred forum for that.
        Great fights this weekend and if you guys can't enjoy it, then it's sad to be you.

Comment

Guerero seaks & makes a fool of himself, I enhoyed his fight & think he should go 2 140 but more $$ @ 47...

Comment

Originally posted by spoonwars View Post
            I won't even go into how Showtime made a disgusting Big Pharma miracle celebration go overboard. Oops. But don't get me wrong, I'm happy she's alive. But then again, compare the before and after "treatment" photos. I hope someday people will wise up that the cancer industry is a behemoth scam.

Comment

Why are people hating so much? You had a great night of fights and still complain.. enjoy cuz we ain't having any for a month.

Comment

Originally posted by beast702 View Post
                Why are people hating so much? You had a great night of fights and still complain.. enjoy cuz we ain't having any for a month.
                I was kind of surprised after watching the fights and enjoying them, I got online and read tons of **** talking about them. Who cares if Guerrero called out Floyd and who cares if he bragged up his winning the titles. Sure the belt he just won isn't a huge deal but let the guy enjoy his moment. I've pretty much stopped reading ESPN because of the haters on there that claim they love the sport of boxing, but tear every fight and fighter apart. Seems like Boxing Scene was different, and the posters are more knowledgeable, but I guess haters are everywhere. One thing I've learned over the years is people for the most part, can't stand seeing another person happy.

Comment

if you couldn't enjoy the boxing match between guerrero and aydin, than take a break and go check out some ufc, than maybe you'll understand the difference in skill level

Comment

no guys it is not we don't enjoy the fights we just want more with the recent upsets or so called upsets i think we watch more expecting drama. the ghost is a nice fighter but these two are not the next big thing at all. i have been around the game forever. faught in the juniors. hearns, leonard, ranzani, pryor etc getting that ass KICKED. watching ali at deer and at fraziers looking at the gym wars. monzone, cokes, brisco etc. i am not an authourity but have seen a lot. do not accept LESS in this game. yes. a nice fight but i don't want a nice fight. example. the haye/chisora fight brought fireworks. buy only from one fighter. who decided chisora can fight at all ? NO ONE IS CRYING. YOU THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN IN THE RING BEFORE HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS ! i love any fight but these type of fights are not worth mentioning. these two couldn't fight the BLUE HORIZON in philly and win against a C rate fighter that is hungry. the ghost is just that a ghost. i am 54 yrs old and if the ghost or adyn come to philly to spar they will kick my ass but they won't come back because they don't want real work. good fighters but we can not settle for less.

Comment

Working...
                    X