No announcement yet.

Boxing produces yet another disgusting Display

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
    I don't know if it would have made a difference, but an American ref and three American judges is ridiculous in a fight like this one. For the sake of the sport's own legitimacy you shouldn't have shi*t like that, which inevitably fuels accusations of a fix.
    Main Events was the lead promoter. You can object to judge selection in Nevada. That's no excuse. I've read nothing about preflight objections to the selection of judges from either side.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/oct...adley-20131007

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
      Main Events was the lead promoter. You can object to judge selection in Nevada. That's no excuse. I've read nothing about preflight objections to the selection of judges from either side.

Add to that lederman was very positive about the judges when discussing them before the scores were announced.

Comment

Didn't make the judges less shitty and obviously corrupt as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
          Add to that lederman was very positive about the judges when discussing them before the scores were announced.
          And rightfully so. They turned in great scorecards.

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
          Didn't make the judges less shitty and obviously corrupt as hell.
          I saw no corruption but I understand your frustration.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
            Gareth Davies from The Telegraph, who probably do the best reporting on boxing here in the UK, had rounds 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 10 for Kovalev. That's 7 rounds, at least for of which are clear (rounds 1, 2, 3 and 6). The 5 remaining rounds Ward won, had only one clear imo and that's the last one. Round 11 was good but I gave it to Ward. The other 3 rounds could have gone either way or even.

Kovalev won and in the eyes of most who know the sport, he won clearly.

I for one would not like a rematch unless it takes place with all 3 judges being non-American, the ref being non-American and strict controls and watch over what the judges are up to in fight week and where they are going/who they are meeting.
            Id agree with that scoring.

There was (IMO) no way that Ward won the last 6 rounds.

It was a close fight, but Ward was very lucky to get the UD.

Close rounds going the the home fighter, not the Champion...Ward could have stayed at Oakland and saved himself the flight ticket.

Comment

I saw no corruption but I understand your frustration.
              So you think that was a fair scorecard?

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
                last night was a great night for boxing, one that will go down in history.

i can see someone having kovalev winning for sure, but all this moaning about how its a fix, disgusting, horrible for boxing etc is just childish.

anyone can see this was a close fight, anyone who knows boxing understands that people not only look at things differently but look for different things.

people who score fights for a living generally know how to score fights, most so called fans dont. defense scores points, as does ring generalship and bodyshots which sometimes it takes a trained eye to see when they land. just like how clean and damaging any blow truly is.

if nothing else people should be able to be man enough to agree to disagree. i pity the people who couldnt enjoy that great, great night of boxing.
                I give the round to the boxer who lands the most and the best punches, period. I give no points for defense because defense has already been rewarded by preventing the other boxer from landing punches. I give no points for ring generalship either because that has already been rewarded by putting the boxer in position to land punches. There is no other sport in the world that gives points for defense. In tennis and volleyball no points are given for defense. In basketball you must make baskets. In soccer you must score goals. In football you must score touchdowns or make field goals.In every other sport in the world you must score to get points. Boxing is no different. You have to land punches to win rounds. Willie Pep lost that round in which he threw no punches if his opponent hit him even once.

Comment

A controversial decision, yes, but the fight its self was great.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
                    So you think that was a fair scorecard?
                    115-112 for Kovalev to 114-113 for Ward was the range of reasonable scores. I think the outrage has to do with Ward had less margin for error and all 3 scores leaned towards his direction. Maybe a bias? possibly. But bad scorecards? Not at all. They were reasonable.

Comment

Let's be just be honest here, we see these kind of decisions/shady actions week in, week out. Its nothing new.

I had the fight pretty close, with Kovalev ahead by a couple. Ward had the momentum down the stretch, and clawed back some rounds. Still, my gripe was the officiating. The damn holding is a staple of Ward's career; yet he's NEVER called out for it!

Comment

Working...
                      X