Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Eubank Talking About Nigel Benn, Roy Jones Junior And Joe Calzaghe::

extracts from his book::

EUBANK ON BENN

People used to talk about Benn as, pound-for-pound, the hardest puncher in the game. I can vouch for that - in my opinion, he was equal to what Tyson is reputed to be. Benns power was simply astonishing. Fight fans ask me which punch of Benns was the hardest - i say, `Simple, all of them.` Every shot. The jab to the head was like a huge battering ram, his left hook was devastating. When Benn hit you, you stayed hit. Most boxers hit you and even if it is a good shot its damage is fleeting; its just a punch. When Benn hit you, it was a lucid, lingering punch; it was almost like a living entity whose sole purpose was to wreak havoc inside your skull. That degree of shocking power cannot be trained into someone, it is just within them. The equation is speed + strength = power, but there is a natural factor as well. Benn had the lot, he was so strong, so lightning fast. He is by far the hardest puncher i have ever come across.

EUBANK ON JONES JUNIOR

Dodging a fighter is a cardinal sin in boxing and is something i can never be accused of, unlike one such character who came on the scene at the end of my era. Roy Jones, James Toney and Michael Nunn for example. I did not dodge.

Lets use Roy Jones as an example. When people asked me why i wouldnt fight him, I would say to them, `Never mind the title or my job, a fight like that could take five or six years off my life.` I was well aware of that. He was, pound-for-pound, arguably the best fighter on the planet; in regards to his style, his devastating punching ability, the whole repertoire, he had it.

The rule is that if you are champion of the world for one body, you cannot be the No. 1 contender for another belt. Unless someone was officially the recognised No. 1 contender, i had no professional obligation to face them. With Roy Jones, he was fortunately (and i use that word with the utmost respect) never No. 1 contender. Had he been, I would not have dodged. I would have taken the fight. Would have i have won the fight? Highly unlikely. What would have been for sure was that he would have come away from the fight and got hurt, and i would have been hurt probably far more than he was. It would of been a war. Technically we would have been well-matched, so our pure grit would have started to come into play. I believe we both had powerful wills, so I feel that fight would have ended up running on pure instinct. That can be an exceptionally violent occurrence. Interestingly, i was told that Roy Jones was rumoured to have said that the only fighter he had reservations about facing was me. I dont remember any of my critics saying much about that.

EUBANK ON CALZAGHE

There is an exceptionally skilled fighter called Joe Calzaghe, whom i took a bout against at 11 days` notice after his proposed fight with Steve Collins fell through. Despite Calzaghes impressive reputation, I was prepared to enter the ring with him with less preparation than would be ideal for such a contest.

>talks about preparation and the fight in length<

Calzaghe had very fast hands and an awkward southpaw style, so he proved to be quite a handful.

>talks about post-fight<

Calzaghe was undoubtedly a good fighter but he struggled to show his `box office`, which was always going to hold him back. Unfortunately, the nature of the modern game demands that to be gifted, disciplined and technically skilled is not necessarily enough. You must have character, charisma and personality as well. Boxing skills will get you talked about in the boxing press, but charisma will make you, `box office`, and will get you on to the front pages.
    Last edited by HUMMERGON; 07-12-2006, 08:03 AM.

Great excerpts. Hmm...I might have to buy that book.

Comment

JuyJuy will not read the part about Roy Jones Jr.

Comment

Excellent post. I liked reading the one about Nigel Benn and Roy Jones Jr. the most. As much as I like Eubank, I'd have to pick Roy over him.
        Eubank couldn't take a body punch for nothing in this world and I've seen Roy change the course of fights with a single body punch...take for instance the body punch he landed on Clinton Woods at the end of the third round in their fight. Woods was never the same after that body shot. As far as Nigel Benn goes..he really did look like the type of puncher Eubank described him as the way he committed to punches was almost as if he didn't give a **** about the return fire hitting him. Boxing needs another fighter like him or a Tito Trinidad.

Comment

I am now convinced that half the users here are really juyjuy.

Comment

Originally posted by jack_the_rippuh
            Excellent post. I liked reading the one about Nigel Benn and Roy Jones Jr. the most. As much as I like Eubank, I'd have to pick Roy over him.
            Eubank couldn't take a body punch for nothing in this world and I've seen Roy change the course of fights with a single body punch...take for instance the body punch he landed on Clinton Woods at the end of the third round in their fight. Woods was never the same after that body shot. As far as Nigel Benn goes..he really did look like the type of puncher Eubank described him as the way he committed to punches was almost as if he didn't give a **** about the return fire hitting him. Boxing needs another fighter like him or a Tito Trinidad.
            Yeah Bill Miller (trainer Of James Toney And Lindell Holmes) Was Once Asked What Plan He Would Devise To Beat Eubanks And He Said "bodyshots" And Walked Off.....a Few Days After The Eubanks/holmes Fight, Miller Was Again Asked How James Would Beat The Awkward Eubanks And, Rather Simply He Said "eubanks always Makes Mistakes, Make A Mistake Against James Toney And More Often Than Not You Pay For It"..........made Sense, Make Me Realise James Toney Would Of Beaten Eubanks, Let Alone Rjj..!

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP
              lmao i've felt that way for a long time .

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP
                Check your pm's and how true.

Comment

I need to get Eubank's book.

Comment

Originally posted by JuicyJuice
                    I need to get Eubank's book.
                    One Word: Priceless

Comment

Working...
                    X