No announcement yet.

The rise and rise of British boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by badnewsbrown View Post
    Sure, we are bound to see improvement of amatuer talent coming through, but i just don't see the talent developing into good pro's right now. The fighters we saw at the olympics were not great at all, lets be honest. Having said that Britain does have better days coming for sure.
    Yeah i dont think we will see huge improvements for a good few years but the platform is there.

Of the fighters at the Olympics i thought Luke Campbell and Anthony Joshua were good (even though he lost to the excellent cuban in first round, after that he redeemed himself imo). Strangely the worst of the bunch, Anthony Ogogo, has been picked up by one of the biggest promotional teams in the world.

Comment

British boxing has been at it's best for almost 20 years now, this is our golden age. Some of the best fighters of that era? Eubank, Benn, Hatton, Naz, Lewis, Calzaghe, Froch...that's one heck of a list right there.

And now we have some of the best prospects at SMW, LHW and HW. The HW division here is as strong as the influx of heavies from eastern Europe. Guys like Bellew and Cleverly are a fight or 2 away from really making an impact at 175.

I haven't even begun to mention our best division, at 160. Barker, Lee, Murray, Macklin have all tested themselves at world level. We even have great prospects at superbantam.

Comment

British boxing will always be fine,we produce fairly decent talent consistently but the real reason it will always be ok is the fact that us brits are the best fans in the world,and in general British fighters have a lot of heart and always give it their all

Couple that with the fact that guys like Khan and Froch are willing to travel to opponents home soil and defend their world titles over there really says a lot for them

Comment

If you were a good journalist, I would have expected you to write how Audley Harrison won a medal and rallied to get funding for amateur boxers instead of mentioning Khan.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Khan only*

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by The_Demon View Post
              British boxing will always be fine,we produce fairly decent talent consistently but the real reason it will always be ok is the fact that us brits are the best fans in the world,and in general British fighters have a lot of heart and always give it their all

Couple that with the fact that guys like Khan and Froch are willing to travel to opponents home soil and defend their world titles over there really says a lot for them
              Most importantly, it's pretty easy to watch boxing in the UK as it's on Sky Sports on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                Most importantly, it's pretty easy to watch boxing in the UK as it's on Sky Sports on a regular basis.
                And the Fury fights on channel 5 always seem to spark interest

Its still a shame that Britains best fighter (Froch) isn't more popular

Comment

British boxing is going from strength to strength, in and outside of the ring.

Most of it comes down to the fans, who support their fighters like no other nation.

Comment

The standard is at a high level the only thing we lack are those elite level fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                      Yeah i dont think we will see huge improvements for a good few years but the platform is there.

Of the fighters at the Olympics i thought Luke Campbell and Anthony Joshua were good (even though he lost to the excellent cuban in first round, after that he redeemed himself imo). Strangely the worst of the bunch, Anthony Ogogo, has been picked up by one of the biggest promotional teams in the world.
                      Luke Campbell impressed me the most out of the fighters i watched. Him beating John Joe Nevin was a great result, and both of them fought very well in every fight.

Have either of them turned pro?

Comment

Working...
                      X