The difference between Boxing and MMA

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When are these threads gonna get old

Comment

Wrestling won't work if you're strapped with a smith & wesson.

Comment

I live on Oakland!! Guns reign supreme here!!

Comment

Boxers could dominate the ufc

They can look at Shane carwin he has no were near the stand up skills of boxers but he was knocking motha****ers out in 1 round.. Guy was 1 punch from being ufc hw champ. But his poor skills and stamina lost it, most boxers wouldn't have such problems with stamina. But what did he have in that first round? Good takedown defence, I think he blocked three attempts by lesnar fairly easily.

Can you imagine a boxer who had actually trained other skills like that and was able to keep it standing most of the fight, instead of rolling over like a fat puppy when someone touch there ankle?

Someone like David haye (yes he has haters) joined ufc after bit of training (apparently he has some allready) big puncher, extremely fast hands etc. I'm 100percent sure someone with a boxing base could dominate ufc. What do you guys think?

Comment

just ask

Art Jimmerson
            Ray Mercer <--- got beat by KIMBO SLICE LMAO!
            Francois Botha <---got beat by Sexyama
            James Toney ..... do i have to explain myself?

Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis didnt accept the MMA challenges. They were smart...

Comment

They're different sports that require different skills.

Most boxers would fail in the UFC and UFC fighters would fail in the boxing ring.

Why is this so hard for people to accept?

Comment

Originally posted by PED User View Post
                They're different sports that require different skills.

Most boxers would fail in the UFC and UFC fighters would fail in the boxing ring.

Why is this so hard for people to accept?
                i never understand it.

boxers get into boxing.

the guys who get in ufc is wrestlers , brazilian-jiu-jitsu guys , etc.

because they can make money using their skills in the sport.

i don't understand the boxing vs. mma bull****.

almost everyone i know who is a boxing fan also watch mma (even if they don't like mma as much) and every mma fan i know also watch boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by WAR FERGIE View Post
                  They can look at Shane carwin he has no were near the stand up skills of boxers but he was knocking motha****ers out in 1 round.. Guy was 1 punch from being ufc hw champ. But his poor skills and stamina lost it, most boxers wouldn't have such problems with stamina. But what did he have in that first round? Good takedown defence, I think he blocked three attempts by lesnar fairly easily.

Someone like David haye (yes he has haters) joined ufc after bit of training (apparently he has some allready) big puncher, extremely fast hands etc. I'm 100percent sure someone with a boxing base could dominate ufc. What do you guys think?

Carwin is a bad example. maybe the worst example you could think of...

1 - He's a wrestler.
                  2 - the majority of his KO victories are over jiujitsu artists or other wrestlers
                  3 - What you call "poor skills" is actually what you need to beat a boxer. (greco-wrestler...in case you haven't noticed , grapplers dominate this sport)

4 - Lesnar is a one dimensional , overrated hype job.

Lesnar , UFC's HW champion , has a record of 5-1.... 5-1 !!!

How did that happened ?

When he first fought in the ufc , he lost against a jiujitsu artist (the overrated Frank Mir)....Right after this loss , he fought heath herring. (a washed up , has been...who hasn't been a contender since 2002)...

He defeated him by UD. And that's all it took for Lesnar to get a shot at the HW belt. After that , he fought against Randy Couture. (he had a 60 lbs weight advantage over him btw) , he looked average at best against Randy. If you watch the fight , you'll see the smaller , older guy holding his own..and the big guy losing his stamina quite rapidly...

What saved Lesnar's ass was Randy's garbage chin. (btw , Randy's gameplan against Toney was basically his only chance to win..Couture's chin is way too fragile to risk anything else especially against a boxer...smart gameplan)...

Of course , when a wrestler fights another wrestler..the situation is different and randy took risks that he never would have against a boxer.

Anyway , back to Lesnar.... After looking like **** against Randy , (but still managed to save the day with a KO)...He had a rematch against Mir. (the first guy who beat him). this rematch was probably lesnar's best victory. At the same time , Mir was saved by the ref in their first fight. So the outcome of the rematch was rather predictable.

Carwin vs Lesnar...
                  Here again , Carwin just confirmed what took place against Randy Couture. Unfortunately for him...he has zero endurance....no stamina. here again , Lesnar looked bad , but too advantage of the situation..his opponent was dead tired..and he submitted him.

Originally posted by WAR FERGIE View Post
                  Can you imagine a boxer who had actually trained other skills like that and was able to keep it standing most of the fight, instead of rolling over like a fat puppy when someone touch there ankle?
                  What randy did to toney...is rarely ever used against experienced grapplers..(because it doesn't work as easily with them)... But there's many different ways to catch a boxer , kickboxer..(strikers with no grappling skills)...

There's no legit Judokas in the UFC...The best one they ever had was karo parisyan & sokodjou... that's nothing... there's way superior judokas (gold & silver olympic caliber) who also fight in mma and who have an easier time dealing with pure strikers.

You can't even point a finger at Liddell and conclude that because he can do it , so would a boxer...trained to avoid takedowns. Most people aren't aware of this but Liddell trained years...years of greco-wrestling. His career is also mostlythe result of careful match making. (mostly against wrestlers who unlike him...had little ko power and no chin)

The only real striker who managed to make it big in the sport's history. (without any wrestling or jiujitsu background) was Mirko Filipovic. (a kickboxer). He's no longer in his prime now..He's even worse than Roy Jones Junior...but in his prime , he used to be one of the most dangerous HW in mma. (back in 2005).

Still , you have to realise that Mirko had a big advantage (than boxers don't have)..his form of striking was perfect for MMA. Kickboxers know how to use their kicks perfectly..(and they're used to get kicked unlike boxers)... It took Crocop 4 years to learn a solid submission defense...

If a pro boxer is ever gonna dominate in MMA , he'll have to be very dedicated..not just for a few months...not just for a year...But then...what would be the point ?

In the end...you'd have the opposite result. You'd have an ex-boxer who was forced to learn greco , jiujitsu...So you'd no longer have a real boxer. you'd have an mma fighter...who happens to excel in boxing.

Comment

Working...
                  X