Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gamboa is fine at 135

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i agree he boxed beautifully to begin with crawford just caught him with top notch counters and that was all she wrote. he's definately not "done" he just needs to fight smart if he wants to stay at this weight

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
      Gamboa would of wrecked any other fighter at 135 last night and that includes that punk Mikey Garcia. Why should he move down when T-Craw is moving up and he can clear 135 out? A few adjustments, stop squaring himself up and stop dropping his hands in combination and he beats Crawford comfortably too IMO

There is a very valid reason Mikey Garcia didn't want to come out and play

Gamboa is a beast, he'll be back.
      Gamboa was winning the fight until he got dropped, he got careless and always leaves his chin out, I was surprised Gamboa wasn't dropped sooner.

Gamboa also had Crawford hurt bad but couldn't follow up because he was sstill dazed and tired. Crawford held onto him to recoup and than as Gamboa try to finish him he caught him hard.

Gamboa main problem is his straight up posture and chin out style, he also gets wild with his combos leaving his chin out, and he backs up with his hands down and chin out in a straight line, he should use the Freddie Roach style offense of throwing punches ducking to the side instead of ducking straight back in a line.

As a short fighter he should have made himself even shorter, it takes away the power from the taller man forcing him to punch down, this is why Bradley is hard to fight he is short, awkward and he likes getting low a lot making it hard to catch him with mustard.

Comment

Unfortunately, Gamboa is too far into his career to change. Combine that with his inactivity and he's a knockout waiting to happen.

Comment

I thought it was going to be a shutout after 4. Gamboa looked brilliant. But he tired and once Crawford gradually got into the fight Gamboa ran out of steam and what was working before wasn't. As Dan_Cov says, two great fighters produced a great fight.

Comment

He looked great, but he'll always look great til he gets touched by a decent sized 135er. Lets not forget his last fight either. Gamboa's chin isn't terrible, seems to recover well but its one thing to have guys your sIze landing huge counter shots but it's another when they're significantly bigger.

Hell, I bet Rigo would school most dudes 4 divisions up.... All the way until they land.

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
              He looked great, but he'll always look great til he gets touched by a decent sized 135er. Lets not forget his last fight either. Gamboa's chin isn't terrible, seems to recover well but its one thing to have guys your sIze landing huge counter shots but it's another when they're significantly bigger.

Hell, I bet Rigo would school most dudes 4 divisions up.... All the way until they land.
              If Gamboa had Rigo's mentality he would be near unbeatable.

Rigo doesn't give a **** what the opponent or crowd are doing, he is schooling people on his terms. Gamboa has more than enough skill and downright frightening speed/athleticism to the point he could school other top fighters with ease. Problem is he wants to put on a show, sometimes to a fault, and he'll take big risks to do it.

Comment

Gamboa looked good for the first 4 rounds, no doubt. But, I guess I saw something different from many others here. I saw a fight in which one fighter was able to adjust to the other fighter's style. I saw Terrance adjust after round 4 (I think that was the round, at least. Will watch again to be sure) and after that land good counter punches. Gamboa is by far more physically gifted and more athletic than a majority of the fighters north or south of where he fought at last night. But, he just displayed a great example of why physical talent and athletics isn't enough to remain at the top level; technical skills are needed and he has shown throughout his career that he was lacking those. He just happened to run into a fighter skilled enough to take advantage of those deficiencies and make him pay for it. Yuriorkis didn't even change what he was doing after he started receiving counter punches for his recklessness. I like him, but if he wants to continue to compete at the top level, he's going to have to make some serious changes; but he doesn't strike me as the kind of fighter who is capable of that.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
                  If Gamboa had Rigo's mentality he would be near unbeatable.

Rigo doesn't give a **** what the opponent or crowd are doing, he is schooling people on his terms. Gamboa has more than enough skill and downright frightening speed/athleticism to the point he could school other top fighters with ease. Problem is he wants to put on a show, sometimes to a fault, and he'll take big risks to do it.
                  I think Rigo is better. He's a genius in the ring. Gamboa is like a smaller more gifted Kahn lol.

In all serious though, Gamboa is a scary guy he should be fighting guys his size but he wants to be the best so bad that he doesn't seem to care about his shortcomings. This guy wanted to fight pac or Floyd ffs. He's got incredible ambition and heart. He'd be bored without the challenge..

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
                    I think Rigo is better. He's a genius in the ring. Gamboa is like a smaller more gifted Kahn lol.

In all serious though, Gamboa is a scary guy he should be fighting guys his size but he wants to be the best so bad that he doesn't seem to care about his shortcomings. This guy wanted to fight pac or Floyd ffs. He's got incredible ambition and heart. He'd be bored without the challenge..
                    Oh, Rigo is definitely better, he's as skilled as anyone in boxing. His defensive positioning and instincts are out of this world.

I just meant that if Gamboa could be content with schooling guys, he would be very hard to beat. Even last night against a very good, very big fighter he was looking in control until that 'let's have a shoot-out' mentality kicked in.

He wants to be exciting to a fault.

Comment

He will be at a significant height, reach and weight disadvantage in every fight he's in. And the only fight worth the risk financially is Mikey.

I think he needs to move down. His style against bigger, stronger, younger fighters is a recipe for disaster.

Comment

Working...
                      X